CPU/Mobo [DISCUSSION] AMD 4700S Desktop Kit

I don't think they can be removed unless I wish to break them.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I don't think the holes would line up

They wouldn't need to, it'll be a pressure mount — like a zip tie.

For me, if I can get the intel mounting bracket of Gammax fabricated(to get it without the screws

I can send them to you for the cost of shipping, PM me your address details.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Unfortunately, I can't do that. I have another PC where these brackets come in handy.
They wouldn't need to, it'll be a pressure mount — like a zip tie.
Will zip ties be able to hold the cooler in place and provide enough downward force. This is th first time I have heard of this sort of solution. Would be interesting to see if possible.
I can send them to you for the cost of shipping, PM me your address details.
Unfortunately, I am not allowed to PM anyone. Or I don't know how to PM:p. Can't find any option to do so.

Also, Do you mean you can get them fabricated without the screws attached to them and ship them?

Will zip ties be able to hold the cooler in place and provide enough downward force.

I meant using the AM3/AM4 brackets to hold the cooler in place using downward force — like how zip ties are used when attaching case fans to graphics cards.

Also, Do you mean you can get them fabricated without the screws attached to them and ship them?

No, I meant I have extra Intel brackets without screws for the GAMMAX 400 cooler that I'm never going to use so you can have for them for the cost of shipping — I want to know how effective the GAMMAX 400 is for cooling this processor so I'm interested in the result so it's a fair trade in my opinion.

some reason they say it cannot be attached directly to the motherboard -

Looking more closer at the male connector on the Waveshare x1 Expander:

21364__22046.jpeg

the circuit board overhangs the wider portion of the connector by a significant amount, this is the part of the connector that faces the rear of the case:

03fig35_alt.jpeg

So it physically would not fit on a motherboard that's installed in a cabinet, which explains why they've said:

Not allow direct plugging onto PC mother board

I've installed the expander board in a basic ATX case, drilled a single hole for one of the four standoffs.

It appears to be held securetly with that and the PCIe cards.

For the graphics card, I swapped out the bracket for a low profile one to allow for the x1 extension to loop in underneath..

A couple photos before deploying:

amd_4700s-25.jpg

amd_4700s-26.jpg

Last edited:
How are your cpu temps going?
At idling mine are around 45ºC with ambient at 17ºC and the fan spinning at around 1050 rpm, which seems to be the absolute minimum.
When playing a 4k video on Youtube, temps rise quickly to 62ºC, while a 1080p one does at 51ºC. The fan stays around the same velocity.
The fact that the temperature rises very quickly and falls at a slow pace indicates that the cooler and the cpu have not good contact surface. For now, I don't think I need to change the cooler, but in the summer I will do more tests.

Another question, anyone knows if this board allows SATA Port Multiplier? This could solve, to a degree, the problem of having only 2 ports...

How are your cpu temps going?

I haven't started any thermal testing yet.

Another question, anyone knows if this board allows SATA Port Multiplier? This could solve, to a degree, the problem of having only 2 ports...

Now that is worth exploring. It would appear the chipset, A77E, supports six SATA ports but AMD intentionally restricted it to two ports for this product:

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 7.39.54 AM.png

The last line there, "FIS Based Switch Mode", indicates the chipset supports FIS based SATA Port Multipliers.

Some information about that here: https://www.synopsys.com/designware-ip/technical-bulletin/port-multipliers.html

This is promising since there's confirmed support for SATA port multipliers for the A75 chipset here: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features

I had @SunnyBoi's LGA115X mount adapter (link) laser cut from 2mm stainless steel last week:

amd_4700s-27.jpg

amd_4700s-28.jpg

The holes line up pretty much perfectly though I will tweak the hole size a bit to make them smaller. The backplate has M2.5 threads and screws that small have really tiny heads that would fall through these holes.

I'll first wait until finances permit purchasing a decent air cooler for this and then figure out a mounting strategy. The included cooler is woefully under-specced for a 8 core Zen 2 processor.

Attachments

• A77E_Databook.pdf
    719.6 KB · Views: 281
The holes line up pretty much perfectly though I will tweak the hole size a bit to make them smaller.
I kept the larger holes so you can reuse the screws from the orginal bracket, this way you'd still get the same clamping force. You can use a countersunk screw from under the LGA holes to secure the LGA cooler with their holes

Here's the link for the adapter with M2.5 sized hole (Its 2.6mm in diameter to make life a bit easier)

Here's the link for the adapter with M2.5 sized hole (Its 2.6mm in diameter to make life a bit easier)

Thanks!

I kept the larger holes so you can reuse the screws from the orginal bracket, this way you'd still get the same clamping force. You can use a countersunk screw from under the LGA holes to secure the LGA cooler with their holes

Thanks, it took me a minute to comprehend this.

I mounted a Deepcool Gammax 400 V2 cooler with its included brackets and I bottomed out the included spring nuts with 12mm M3 screws coming from the underside as you explained:

amd_4700s-29.jpg

Does anyone know how to remove the cpu cooler screws(ones that attach to mb)? I am not able to remove them.

Pull out the locking clips with a pliers: https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-E-Clips (I didn't use any of these methods, I just pulled it out by grabbing it with a large pliers)

Clamping force appears to be adequate. Heatpipes are perpendicular to the die, so the fan is facing the expansion card slot.

I'll try and make some time for thermal testing soon but for now, I'm seeing a 9C reduction in the bios (if that is the cpu temp):

gammax_400_v2.png

@RC4A0FRIOS

@rsaeon Thankyou for providing a solution to my problem of removing the screws. I tried googling but couln't find any solution. Later, I thought that thsese things are fixed and cannot be removed.

I have also manged to attach the cooler to the bracket.Thanks to you for the mounting kit.
When I was mounting the bracket, i saw that the cooler would not fit perfectly inside the mounting bracket.I wasn't much of problem as the cooler can be placed over a the bracker. But I went a step further and filed the inside of the brackets a little bit and now the cooler fits perfectly inside the bracket. See image

1.jpg
4.jpg

After doing all this, I tried to mount it on the CPU just to realize that I don't have the correct size screws to mount it. So, I went to harware shops to find the screws but thay all said no.
So, yesterday I ordered some more screws online. I have ordered M2 screws but looks like I have ordered worng size as you just mentioned that these need M2.5 screws.

Well, now that have shared a way to remove the screws of stock cooler. I would like to try it tommorow(if time permits).

By the way the temps you shared looks very promising. I was getting around mid 70's in BIOS.

It seems this mod is gonna pay off.

Attached some more pics

2.jpg
3.jpg

By the way the temps you shared looks very promising. I was getting around mid 70's in BIOS.

So it looks like @SunnyBoi's adapter plate is pretty amazing.

amd_4700s-30.jpg

For mounting, I'm using MX4. I added a generous amount, placed the cooler on top to spread out the paste, lifted up the cooler and rotated it 180 degrees, screwed it down, unscrewed it and rotated it back 180 degrees and screwed it down again. I checked and there was really good contact before the second screwing down, this is the method I used to use in the pre-IHS days.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10, got all the updates, installed the drivers from AMD's website, installed HWiNFO64 and Cinebench 23 and did two rounds of testing.

Ambient temperature is 31C, CPU temperature after boot was 51C for both runs.

First run was done with 'Cooler and Quieter' turned off in the bios:

cb23_cnq_disabled.jpg

I got max temps of 89C.

Second run with 'Cooler and Quieter' enabled in the bios:

cb23_cnq_enabled.jpg

I got max temps of 79C. 79C under load may be the limit of this budget four heatpipe cooler.

Interestingly, lowest temperature recorded for both settings was under 43C, or 12C above ambient, which is fantastic.

I didn't make any changes to Windows power plan or energy savings, this is a fresh install. I'll be preserving this install for later testing.

Next up, I want to try a more premium cooler. I also would like to see how heatpipe orientation affects coolers. Probably sometime next month.

Next up, I want to try a more premium cooler. I also would like to see how heatpipe orientation affects coolers. Probably sometime next month.
A 120/140mm AIO with liquid metal will be the bees knees. I almost ended up making a custom loop with a threadripper water block, D5 pump and 240mm thick radiator. Things changed and I had to abandon my plans.

I have also managed to install the gammax400.

Here is a screenshot of cinebenchr23 on windows high performance mode.
ssj.jpg

I ran this test in cooler and quieter mode in BIOS.
I have ran cinebench multiple times now and the temp doesn't go above 85C now.
All core clocks stays at 3.4Ghz at all times during stress test.
I ran this test on windows 11.
I believe temp should be lower with windows 10.
While running win10 the temp never went above 95c during my testing with stock cooler but with win 11 it was able to reach 97C before i had to manually stop the test.

Will install win 10 tonight and see if there is any change.

For now, I am really happy with the temps.
I have also managed to install the gammax400.

Here is a screenshot of cinebenchr23 on windows high performance mode.
ssj.jpg

I ran this test in cooler and quieter mode in BIOS.
I have ran cinebench multiple times now and the temp doesn't go above 85C now.
All core clocks stays at 3.4Ghz at all times during stress test.
I ran this test on windows 11.
I believe temp should be lower with windows 10.
While running win10 the temp never went above 95c during my testing with stock cooler but with win 11 it was able to reach 97C before i had to manually stop the test.

Will install win 10 tonight and see if there is any change.

For now, I am really happy with the temps.
Correction: all core clocks at 3.64 instead of 3.4ghz

Last edited:
I haven't started any thermal testing yet.

Now that is worth exploring. It would appear the chipset, A77E, supports six SATA ports but AMD intentionally restricted it to two ports for this product:

View attachment 143665

The last line there, "FIS Based Switch Mode", indicates the chipset supports FIS based SATA Port Multipliers.

Some information about that here: https://www.synopsys.com/designware-ip/technical-bulletin/port-multipliers.html

This is promising since there's confirmed support for SATA port multipliers for the A75 chipset here: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features

I had @SunnyBoi's LGA115X mount adapter (link) laser cut from 2mm stainless steel last week:

View attachment 143666

View attachment 143667

The holes line up pretty much perfectly though I will tweak the hole size a bit to make them smaller. The backplate has M2.5 threads and screws that small have really tiny heads that would fall through these holes.

I'll first wait until finances permit purchasing a decent air cooler for this and then figure out a mounting strategy. The included cooler is woefully under-specced for a 8 core Zen 2 processor.
Thanks for the detailed input. Is good to know that we can use a port multiplier, but also sad to know that AMD intentionally restricted the mobo.

Another thing I noticed is that the output volume (at least on Win10) is really low compared to other PC's and laptops I own.

The Deepcool AS500 cooler is currently discounted on Amazon by 25% so I picked one up earlier than planned — it's been my 140mm cooler of choice for a while now.

The cooler was mounted to the adapter plate directly without spacers using 8mm M3 screws coming in from the bottom and the original mounting plates/knurled nuts that came with the cooler:

amd_4700s-31.jpg

amd_4700s-32.jpg

I did experiment with various spacers, all of which ended up with less than optimal mounting pressure and temperatures.

Since the processor has a bare die, it took a couple of mounts to get a good contact and temps, something I didn't realize I had with my earlier testing with the Gammax 400. Basically, if you see 60C or lower in the bios, it's a good mount.

Testing was done with 'Cooler and Quieter' enabled in the bios and the Windows 10 power plan left at the default position in the middle for 'Better Performance'. Same settings as my last testing.

It's a warm night here with ambient temps beings 32C during the Cinebench 23 runs, that's 1C higher than my Gammax 400V2 testing in an earlier post.

First up with is with the heatpipes traversing across the long edge of the die for better contact so the fan was sideways, partially blocked by the graphics card:

cb23_as500_longedge.jpg

Max temps reached 77C, 3C less than the Gammax 400V2 over ambient.

Then I rotated the cooler to a more traditional installation, this meant only the middle two heatpipes would be directly over the CPU die but also that the fan has an unobstructed airflow path:

cb23_as500_shortedge.jpg

Max temps reached 76C, 4C less than the Gammax 400V2 over ambient.

In both cases, minimum temps were 44C or 12C over ambient, just as with the Gammax 400V2.

The minimal thermal performance difference between the Gammax 400V2 and the AS500 isn't enough to warrant the large price difference between the two for a platform like this which is valued at under Rs 9k.

However, personally, the aesthetics of the AS500 is far more pleasing so I'll be keeping that mounted. It's also a quieter cooler with a larger, slower spinning fan.

This concludes my thermal testing for this platform. Next up is replacing the stock fan with an RGB one with a custom controller and possibly building a custom enclosure, sometime in the next couple of months.

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced random disconnections from a usb wifi adapter?
Make sure it is not the wifi adapter's fault. I have one adaptor that have disconnection issues on every pc. I am using it over LAN socan't help much.

I would also like to provide an update on this board.
I was able to reduce the max temp of machine to 76°C after mounting the cooler again, 50°C in BIOS, ambient 32°C. But the max temp again goes back to 85°C again the very next day.

Back