CPU/Mobo [DISCUSSION] AMD 4700S Desktop Kit

Got my board yesterday. This thing is totally worth the money. It is fast. I also feel it was snappier on C04 Bios because it was constantly running higher clocks and hence higher temp.
Now currently on C09 Bios and can confirm temps have reduced. On load, temps do reach 90°C easily. It definitely needs a better cooler.

Today will try to change the thermal paste and see if temps can be reduced further.

Typo. C04.
Updated directly to latest bios because C07, C08 , C09 were giving error.
The reason for the errors are explained in the PDF file in the flash directory. You updated from C04 directly to C0A without any issues thats great and will save time.
If you dont have a UPS or Inverter doing these BIOS updates and having a power failure can be a problem.

BIOS Flash Guide C07.jpg

Also, adding to this,
It's performance is so pathetic...
Read up online before making a purchase decision.

It's only enough powerful, to run browsers, Email apps, at max. Any load more than 3 apps, will punish your Windows experience.

Scalping on anything seems to be the only business venture, newgen kids think of nowadays.

If priced righteously, this post wouldn't attract any such comments.

Regards,
Just a vigilante.

Please so let us know too on how to create these mounts. Would be very helpful to all of us.
Soon!

I was measuring the dimensions of the cooler and I noticed the screws were very loose on my cooler. Others might check on theirs, that itself might lead to better temperatures. Also the stock cooler has 2 posts to fix a 92mm fan instead of the 80mm fan it comes with . that might be a cheap upgrade.

Also, adding to this,
It's performance is so pathetic...
Read up online before making a purchase decision.

It's only enough powerful, to run browsers, Email apps, at max. Any load more than 3 apps, will punish your Windows experience.

Scalping on anything seems to be the only business venture, newgen kids think of nowadays.

If priced righteously, this post wouldn't attract any such comments.

Regards,
Just a vigilante.
Is the memory latency impact is that bad? Seen couple of OLX ads for 12-15k for the 4700s desktop kit and thought of building a miniITX pc for non-gaming purchase. Will it be atleast be better than a i3 10100f + 8gb dram build for general computing?

Is the memory latency impact is that bad? Seen couple of OLX ads for 12-15k for the 4700s desktop kit and thought of building a miniITX pc for non-gaming purchase. Will it be atleast be better than a i3 10100f + 8gb dram build for general computing?
The general performance, at least in my opinion is pretty good and almost as fast as a normal zen 2 based CPU
Running cinebench r20 on a 30 min loop causes almost no dip in performance (3.7k multi core) with temperature almost fixed at 92°C during the run although the fan definitely gets pretty loud

Soon!

I was measuring the dimensions of the cooler and I noticed the screws were very loose on my cooler. Others might check on theirs, that itself might lead to better temperatures. Also the stock cooler has 2 posts to fix a 92mm fan instead of the 80mm fan it comes with . that might be a cheap upgrade.
I didn't find the screws to be loose.
I have noticed that the heat sink is not getting much warm even when temp reaches 95°C.
I believe the heat is not getting transferred from the cpu to the heatsink quickly.
I feel the culprit is the small aluminium plate that is attached to the heatsink and comes in contact with the CPU.

This isn't something rare to capitalize on. Market will be flooded by these broken PS5. Just that the barebones kit isn't available at present time doesn't mean it's something you can sell at so much markup to one up retail business.
besides a normal i3 12th gen build will beat the shit out of this.

posting this just so buyers are aware.

EDIT: After OP put up this...
View attachment 136318

First, thanks for compiling this list of parts and prices and now a real comparison of features you get in both...

1) No one in their right mind would buy a GT610 with a non-F CPU. The UHD 730 on i3-12100 is far far superior than the shitty GT610 which is oh boi.. DDR3 GPU. Don't wanna touch that with a 10-foot pole.
2) The custom build supports PCIE 5.0 16x lanes while the 4700S kit supports PCIE 2.0 at 4x lanes, BIG OOF!
3) No RAM upgradability in the 4700S kit. No M.2, no NVME storage expansions. Only 2 SATA ports.
4) GDDR6 RAM on the bootkit was meant for graphics/textures (heavy data) not your small application footprint (small random access data). Trust me you're gonna feel the latency with multi tasking on this.

These boards didn't make the cut to be a PS5 because the iGPU (Radeon) failed on the SoC. AMD is just trying to recoup the cost of fabrication by selling this dump because the yield of fabrication of PS5 SoCs is still far from perfect.
And that's the reason it's/was selling for Rs8799 - 8999 which is the price OP bought it for. Only thing added was the GPU and 120GB SSD which can be had for near about 3K (both, used or only GPU used and SSD brand new).
So my post was deleted.
Ok

Also, not 8~9k. But 7850/- precisely from a Reputed Prime dealer, if u know what I mean.

I feel the culprit is the small aluminium plate that is attached to the heatsink and comes in contact with the CPU.
That's good news for me. I'll be using liquid metal on it with the XP90. Ive taken preliminary measurements, will make a prototype out of aluminium tomorrow. Once it works, will get the proper brackets laser cut. Hopefully within this week

That's good news for me. I'll be using liquid metal on it with the XP90. Ive taken preliminary measurements, will make a prototype out of aluminium tomorrow. Once it works, will get the proper brackets laser cut. Hopefully within this week
Slight OT, do you cut those yourself? How you design the files

I did upgrade from C07 until C0A, here is the temps (max)
C07: 101
C08,C09,C0A: 94

Honestly, depending on your room temperature, I don't recommend updating if your bios is C07 or lower. The chances of the computer shutting down due to overheating are high, as the update process makes 100% cpu usage.

Have a technician perform the update or take it to a cold place.

got also -2 min temp
my place is very hot

i got the temps with ffmpeg

Last edited:
Is it possible to transplant a better cooler onto the motherboard?
With the newer BIOS there is no need to change the cooler. Idle is 63 degrees and daily usage like browing and watching movies it does not go over 65. Power plan MAX CPU 70

In games, load temps dont really go above 75 with full 4.0Ghz boost now. Power Plan MAX 100.

Has I said in my early post you can use Windows power plans to get temps under control without changing the cooler. I only need 2200Mhz to maintain 60fps and temps will drop
down to 65 degrees then. In higher demanding CPU games you may get higher temps but anything below 90 should be more than fine for this CPU.

DS3 C09 BIOS Test 2.jpg

DS3 C09 BIOS Test 3.jpg

Video temps C09 BIOS.jpg

Last edited:
Back