English TV series discussion

House of Cards (2013) - Recently finished its final episode... Kevin Spacey as expected brilliant to the core.. To bad that he starting to look OLD now.. For anyone who loves Political Drama, its a must watch. - 8.5/10
I'm halfway through the series and it is great.
And Kevin is 53. He looks like he gained few pounds to play Francis Underwood.

Started watching Anger Management in Comedy Central recently. I actually find it quite good, much better than what Two and A Half Men has become.

:O

ibrdn10qiX5vQ1.gif

The quality of Justified is a monotonically increasing function. Just three episodes left in the season.

I have around 6 seasons of Two and a Half men with me and i have read that the show is not what it used to be without Charlie Sheen. Should i bother watching this series since at a later stage (supposedly after season 6 ??) the prominent character is replaced ?

Also twin peaks is slow as hell. I am now watching only because it is hailed as being very good and has very good ratings on IMDB.
You need lot of patience with this series. Hope things get better later on. I am only done with 5 episodes of season 1 yet.

I have around 6 seasons of Two and a Half men with me and i have read that the show is not what it used to be without Charlie Sheen. Should i bother watching this series since at a later stage (supposedly after season 6 ??) the prominent character is replaced ?

Also twin peaks is slow as hell. I am now watching only because it is hailed as being very good and has very good ratings on IMDB.
You need lot of patience with this series. Hope things get better later on. I am only done with 5 episodes of season 1 yet.

Charlie Sheen doesn't leave till Season 9. And even then it is a must watch.

^^ Stick with it till the end of episode 4. I agree that the first four episodes can be a little uneventful. From episode 5, you'll be blown.

Also, if you really wanna understand the "epicness" of the show, keep doing your homework from the beginning. Like in the first episode, why King Robert asks Ned to take him to the Lyanna's crypt. What happened between Lyanna and Rhaegar? Etc. The more you know about the the events that happened prior to the beginning of the show, the more you'll the understand the vastness and epicness of the world created by George Martin.

@XTechManiac

Man, you are talking to a GRRM veteran here. I have read the series and have watched the complete two seasons umpteen number of times.

I just catch the first episode whenever I need to, just so that I can spend the rest of my time on the couch dreaming about the events that are all yet to come, both in the TV and the books.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am at the same point (watched 5th episode last night). I have watched almost all David Lynch movies and in terms of accessibility, Twin Peaks is much better. It is not as ambiguous as Lost Highway or the even less accessible Inland Empire. I don't feel it's slow, may be because I am used to this kind of pacing with movies. It is already quite interesting to me due to the multitude of characters, their twisted motives and intertwining relationships. I am not really sure if there is a 'payoff' or pickup in speed down the line as you expect, but knowing Lynch, it might get more twisted.

Can't wait for the season 3 of Game of Thrones, It's gonna be awesome but Season 4 will be better(which will be based on the 2nd half of A Storm of Swords, best book in the series). :happy:

I have read the series and have watched the complete two seasons umpteen number of times.
How has been your experience watching the series as you have already read the books. It has happened earlier with me that if I have read the books, inadvertently the comparisons occur and usually the level of books can'r be matched, so tend to get disappointed. I've watched the seasons 1 and 2 and was blown away. Can't wait for next season. But I've refrained myself from reading the books, lest I lose interest in the series. What's your take on this? What would you recommend?

How has been your experience watching the series as you have already read the books. It has happened earlier with me that if I have read the books, inadvertently the comparisons occur and usually the level of books can'r be matched, so tend to get disappointed. I've watched the seasons 1 and 2 and was blown away. Can't wait for next season. But I've refrained myself from reading the books, lest I lose interest in the series. What's your take on this? What would you recommend?

You won't lose the interest, in fact it will supplement it. The books go into a lot of details the TV series can never hope to go into, and fortunately, GoT TV series is also great with brilliant direction, scriptwriting, cinematography and most importantly, amazing actors.

Having the fear of getting disappointed shouldn't be your concern if you can read the books and have time for that. In fact you should always strive to be disappointed.

Having the fear of getting disappointed shouldn't be your concern if you can read the books and have time for that. In fact you should always strive to be disappointed.
Right said. But the biggest hindrance would be finding time as my reading habit has taken a severe beating since I started working. Anyways, thanks for your recommendation. GRRM should be a great way to get back to reading. Meanwhile, waiting with bated breath for Season3.

Back