English TV series discussion

@Ethan_Hunt I think Britta's character has seen the best change since season 1. In the beginning she was acting just too smart for whatever she was worth, and she was in a Community college after all. She's come down to what she really is, I don't mind her wacky ways.

Her character in the first season was acceptable. When the show started out, it was clear she was the hot blonde who was bound to have her ways with Jeff and she played the part. The show then decided to bring Annie into the mix by leveraging on her "physical" attributes and giving her more screen time. Britta might not have been the smartest one, but turning her into a dim-witted girl rambling about her psych evaluations on each episode, nailed her character shut into the coffin. You can safely ignore her lunacy on this show, as she now has a companion to tag along; Troy.

Pierce Hawthorne has been the most complained character on the show, and with valid reasons. He was vastly neglected in the third season and was just reduced to a racist-sexist-old-fart, but the previous episode in this season builds up his character and sets up to provide a decent farewell. The remaining part of the season is going to put Chevy's character in perspective, considering he has finished his duties and taken his leave.

Yep. I hated Chase's narcissistic/racist role, but then I thought about it and that is how he was supposed to be from the start. He was this old fart who was supposed to be a jerk, as he clearly needed attention. His character could have had more depth. I thought he did very well in the episode where his father visits him, when he fakes his heart attack and finally, in Digital Estate Planning. Hell, he even dawned a more caring avatar in 'Paranormal Parentage' in episode 2 of season 4.

Dany Pudi is a great actor, but I see that he's not trying that much hard recently. Abed's character has gone stale, they need to get new perspective. Cool, Cool Cool Cool won't just do.

His character is a distinguished one. I haven't heard him say "cool cool cool" in a long time. But the best thing about his character is that it's never static. His acting and dialogue delivery is robotic, but that's what sets him apart from the rest. While the rest try so hard to demand attention; he doesn't. He always accepts the situations and paves his own path. I wish he would be paired with Annie. If you have browsed YouTube, you'll find Brie and Pudi have an amazing chemistry together. They are like two peas in a pod.

The first season was the best one, the second and third tried some new things and some where great, some just average. The fourth season premiere was a dud, the next episodes less than average, but the previous three episodes were on par with some of season 1 and 2's episodes. There are still a few episodes left this season (only total of 13 this year), one of which is written by Jim Rash (plays the Dean). I find it to still be the best sitcom on air, apart from a few other animated ones. It has lost its initial charm, but it ain't lost it all.

Though, I don't recollect much of season 2 and 3, I have fond memories of season 1. This doesn't mean I hate the show from an over-all perspective. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I find this show has introduced television to a whole new brand of humour, one which is very distinct. Unfortunately, the show has become a victim of it's own success. If the writers can concentrate on better plots and lesser sexual tension between the current characters, it might have another shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Big Bang Theory tries desperately to be about Geeks and makes fun at them, whereas Community is for Geeks and caters to them without mocking.
I have watched both the shows, and the line is untrue. Community is good, but in no way linked to geeks, all my non geek friends like it but cannot reference half the jokes in TBBT. Watch more episodes of TBBT and then form a opinion, it does not just poke fun at geeks, it pokes fun at some very realistic situations where similar minded people have issues dealing with reality.

Community is a brilliant show too, but Shirley and Brita are annoying as hell. Its only because of Jeff, Abed and Troy that I keep coming back. Both the shows have their ups and downs and their own set of irritating characters. Personally I like all the three shows, TBBT, Modern family and Community. But I strongly disagree on Brita being better then Penny :p
Sofia Vergara > Kaley Cuoco > Julie Bowen > Alison Brie > Gillian Jacobs

@Aces170

Community is for geeks, but it can also be enjoyed by the non-geeks at the same time. There are so many references, adaptations and meta-humour that many miss out on, but if you go through each episode's trivia and Easter-eggs in detail, you'll understand.

TBBT is about geeks and the jokes are made of them for just being that. Mention D&D, background laughter. Mention Linux reference, background laughter. Mention Videogame, background laughter.

One example I would like to give is the way both shows handled Dungeons&Dragons, which is played mostly by the Geeks. In TBBT, D&D is just mentioned, and that itself is the joke. In Community, D&D is played out like it should actually be and the jokes are written within that narration.

TBBT is enjoyed only if you're watching from Penny's point of view, while Community is best enjoyed when you watch it from Abed's point of view and can also be watched casually. You think real geeks like to be laughed on at everything which they do in real life?

TBBT is about geeks and the jokes are made of them for just being that. Mention D&D, background laughter. Mention Linux reference, background laughter. Mention Videogame, background laughter.
There is background laughter for all the humor, and yep I hate that. But I can do with it, TBBT is about geeks and half the jokes only geek can make relate to. No one will know the Klingon mating ritual, the jokes on the Metro UI, battle-star galactica humor and countless other inferences which any non geek crowd will completely miss out. Sheldon's character is brilliantly penned and portrayed which IMO none in community can match. I hate Amy's character in TBBT, and I think the show would be better if they cut down Leonard and Amy's screen time and give more time to Raj and Howard. Similarly in community I would love to reduce Brita's and Shirley's screen time in lieu of Abed and Troy.

Bottomline is both are brilliant shows, and if you are missing out on any due to some preconceived internet spawned notion, then you are missing out on some really good comedy series.

@blkrb0t - Have you watched TBBT from the very beginning. Like many other shows, the current season is not as good as the first 2-3 seasons.
Like Aces pointed out above, there are so many jokes on TBBT, especially in the first few seasons that only the geeks can understand and appreciate. Even my parents watch TBBT and love Sheldon. Though like I said, most of the times they don't get the jokes as they have no clue what Klingon or D&D means.

There is background laughter for all the humor, and yep I hate that. But I can do with it, TBBT is about geeks and half the jokes only geek can make relate to. No one will know the Klingon mating ritual, the jokes on the Metro UI, battle-star galactica humor and countless other inferences which any non geek crowd will completely miss out. Sheldon's character is brilliantly penned and portrayed which IMO none in community can match. I hate Amy's character in TBBT, and I think the show would be better if they cut down Leonard and Amy's screen time and give more time to Raj and Howard. Similarly in community I would love to reduce Brita's and Shirley's screen time in lieu of Abed and Troy.

Bottomline is both are brilliant shows, and if you are missing out on any due to some preconceived internet spawned notion, then you are missing out on some really good comedy series.

This is exactly the reason why I don't like the show, apart from the annoying background laughter. I've watched the show from the beginning, but had to stop midway first season because of the bland humour. I did watch the complete first season later on because everyone was still interested in it. After that a few episodes here and then.

half the jokes only geek can make relate to - They are not jokes but just topics which a geek knows. A mention of any super-geek topic which is not understandable by general audience is a joke? And the general audience laughs at that because they don't know about it, i.e. they are laughing at the character for being eccentric rather than proper script writing.

Sheldon's character is brilliantly penned and portrayed which IMO none in community can match. - Completely disagree, it should be the most hated character if you're a geek. He is made fun of his disabilities, not cool. Even Chang on Community is better than Sheldon.

preconceived internet spawned notion - How is it preconceived, didn't I give my reasons as to why the show sucks? Your comment is more preconceived than my arguments.

I have already said that the TBBT does contain a few good jokes here and then, but they are very little and are overcrowded by many annoying pathetic jokes. The people who laugh at most of the jokes on TBBT are the same ones who laugh at nerds/geeks in school and college (the Penny crowds).[DOUBLEPOST=1364728993][/DOUBLEPOST]Another example I would like to give is that just a mention of Parallel Universes is considered as a joke on TBBT, but Community embraces the concept and makes an entire episode with parallel timelines. As a guy who understands these concepts, which will I consider more appealing - something which laughs at me for knowing it? or something which depends on proper script writing to adapt the concept?

Also, Doctor Who is back and I am really liking the new companion.

tumblr_mfm1jcK3hd1qzg2sjo5_250.gif

@blkrb0t Keep fighting the good fight. :p

You have my axe.
http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/english-tv-series-discussion.61433/page-277#post-179443as

@whatsinaname Hehe, I don't have any personal conflict with the show. Just get riled up when people say that it is a "geek-show", when it is actually the opposite.

Just made this pic quickly, can't wait for tonight (or tomorrow morning for most of us).

FAety6y.jpg

Oh I see.

Stark and Drogo were the only characters I was looking forward to in season 2, when I was half-way through the first season. But sadly, they killed both of them and in a very cheap way might I add.

i am currently watching S2 of Game of Thrones... something I did not get that when the nights guard recruiter had arya why did he not send a raven to Robb Stark or Cat (considering .. as portrayed ravens are very efficient message carriers..) about his plans to return Arya and that she is safe.. In the last ep i saw.. I found Baelish taking advantage of this misinformed situation of Cat Stark. :\

i am currently watching S2 of Game of Thrones... something I did not get that when the nights guard recruiter had arya why did he not send a raven to Robb Stark or Cat (considering .. as portrayed ravens are very efficient message carriers..) about his plans to return Arya and that she is safe.. In the last ep i saw.. I found Baelish taking advantage of this misinformed situation of Cat Stark. :\

The Night's Watch have nothing to do with the realm's political leanings, they just defend it.

His job was to drop off Arya at Winterfell on his way to Castle Black.

He could've still gone out of way and send a Raven, but they are not as efficient as you might have imagined. They can be caught and intercepted, which they are at the time due to a war going on. Robb himself intercepts many Ravens, I believe it is shown in the Season 2 first episode itself.

Back