English TV series discussion

Re: Please suggest an english TV series

Bluffmaster said:
I have completed 3 seasons of Sunny and to be honest it has started getting annoying. The characters feel too loud now. It is good for some occasional time pass but it failed to make a fan out of me.

The problem with shows like this or Peep Show or The Office the kind of humor they have is less innocuous than regular sitcoms making watching them at a stretch practically impossible. I prefer Flight of the Conchords from the lot coz of the songs.

cyrux said:
I started watching Arrested Development after it was suggested here.

I watched around 8 episodes until now and there is nothing that made me laugh out. The characters are odd but they fail to be funny in situations. Its a light comedy that will make you smile, similar to My name is Earl , but nothing more than that.

Season 1 is just about character building , season 2 onwards its awesome

saumik_ said:
^ i watched like 6-7 epis and got bored. old man solving all the mysteries of the world.

cyrux said:
^ added the fact that he is been out of touch for like 17 - 18 years from his field, and yet he seemingly knows everything that happens around him, as if no further research has been done after he left

like i said, the writing for the first half of the season was pretty lame. in the second half, they started to focus more on the core story of the show which was much more interesting.

there's this series called carnivale which i've been hearing good things about for many years so i finally decided to try it out. it's a mystical/magical/dark drama set in a 1930s travelling carnival where a young man with an extraordinary ability takes a job. it gets absolutely great reviews everywhere but my experience was the complete opposite.. sure, it was a rich visual and aesthetic experience but the story is so slow that it bored the crap out of me. i watched all of season 1 and a couple of episodes of season 2 before i couldn't take it anymore and deleted the entire folder. if anyone has watched it, can they please explain to me why this show is supposed to be so great?

manu1991 said:
Season 1 is just about character building , season 2 onwards its awesome

you also need an 'advanced sense of humour' to like these kind of shows. if you are too much into regular sitcoms then u wont enjoy shows like arrested, office, its always sunny. many people simply dont get these shows.

^Thats a completely BS statement IMO. There is nothing "advanced" about the humor of these shows. Any TV viewer can easily "get" these shows. Its just that the humor is just too loud and crude for the majority to like it. I am not saying that these shows are bad but to label the viewers who don't find it exceptional as "Not humorous enough" is just the height of fanboism IMO.

Bluffmaster said:
^Thats a completely BS statement IMO. There is nothing "advanced" about the humor of these shows. Any TV viewer can easily "get" these shows. Its just that the humor is just too loud and crude for the majority to like it. I am not saying that these shows are bad but to label the viewers who don't find it exceptional as "Not humorous enough" is just the height of fanboism IMO.

agreed. and the writing of sunny in philly keeps dropping in quality as the seasons go on. i believe one of the last episodes of season 4 was literally based on a turd. that's right... the entire episode was based around a piece of shit. yea, that's some 'advanced humor' right there...

Bluffmaster said:

when i say advanced sense of humour. i meant it in a funny way, referring to when michael scott refers to it in office when his friend terry packer mind****s with him.

it was not directed to you saying you dont have humour. it was from a joke from office which is y i had put it in quotes.

spindoctor said:
agreed. and the writing of sunny in philly keeps dropping in quality as the seasons go on. i believe one of the last episodes of season 4 was literally based on a turd. that's right... the entire episode was based around a piece of shit. yea, that's some 'advanced humor' right there...

writing the whole episode on a piece of shit was funny.

but i do agree that sunny season 1 2 & 3 were more badass compared to s4. the highlight of s4 was WILDCARD!!. that was the best ep of the season.

is the series THE WIRE really good ?

i mean i was seeing its pilot episode for the 1st season yesterday nite and i slept while watchin it :p

plz tell me it improves as time passes !

warm regards

completed dexter season 1.. watching sunny in phil season 1... nothing much to laugh about... but ok it seems... hope it improves as the season goes on...

Dinesh_Malhotra said:
is the series THE WIRE really good ?

i mean i was seeing its pilot episode for the 1st season yesterday nite and i slept while watchin it :p

plz tell me it improves as time passes !

warm regards

Its one of the best. It takes some time getting hooked to it though. It is a little slow but the character development is amazing. Its not one of those shows which you can just pick up anytime and watch, it takes time to get into its zone, but once you're in that zone, it becomes very addictive.

Sunny in Philly isn't really advanced humour so much as it's smart-stupid humour.
Other than the turd episode, the rest of S4 was as good as ever. The highlights were Wildcard and Nightman.

Yes it's loud but so was Seinfeld and both are miles ahead of boring colourful sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, etc.
But if one is into the same old cliched relationships and punchline driven humour then no wonder shows like Everybody Loves Raymond get showered with accolades.

saumilsingh said:
Sunny in Philly isn't really advanced humour so much as it's smart-stupid humour.
Other than the turd episode, the rest of S4 was as good as ever. The highlights were Wildcard and Nightman.

Yes it's loud but so was Seinfeld and both are miles ahead of boring colourful sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, etc.
But if one is into the same old cliched relationships and punchline driven humour then no wonder shows like Everybody Loves Raymond get showered with accolades.
Dude ELR is legendary, dont tell me you dont find it funny!!! Its way better than Sunny in Phily IMHO.

Jasku said:
Dude ELR is legendary, dont tell me you dont find it funny!!! Its way better than Sunny in Phily IMHO.

ELR is funny. but nothing touches Its always sunny. Closest are seinfeld, Curb your enthu, arrested & office.

GREENMAN & NIGHTMAN PWN ALL.

Me and my wife watch sitcoms together. We watched Lost, PB, Dexter, Heroes, Psych, Fringe, 24 together, but my wife just didnt like "The Wire" and neither did I. We tried couple of episodes and it was bland and boring...No BG music too :p

So dropped it.

F|0ccY said:
Just started watching The IT Crowd, its freakin hilarious.

yea me too, just hit season 2, the humour most times is quite juvenile, but in parts quite brilliant as well.

Started dloading Burn Notice, should have dloaded first few episodes of S1 by the time I get home from work!

PS- Missing chuck, seeing ur avatar reminded me of it!!!

F|0ccY said:
Just started watching The IT Crowd, its freakin hilarious.

Jasku said:
yea me too, just hit season 2, the humour most times is quite juvenile, but in parts quite brilliant as well.

the boss & his son, both are hilarious. you look at them & feel like laughing when they open their mouth.

stormblast said:
the boss & his son, both are hilarious. you look at them & feel like laughing when they open their mouth.

LOLZ totally agree, typically stuck up British character.

Jasku said:

PS- Missing chuck, seeing ur avatar reminded me of it!!!

True, it is a bit juvenile at times.

Just 9 more months until Chuck season 3 airs.:D

Back