English TV series discussion

Does anyone have any recommendations for any nice reality english shows that I can watch with entire family (including a 6 year old). Like we watch Shark Tank, MasterChef Australia, Lego Masters, Floor is Lava, sometimes TLC shows which shows baking and all.

I have watched almost all the good detective and thriller series. Loved the Mentalist - White Collar - Breaking Bad - Dexter - Sherlock (old and new) - Elementary and currently watching the Blacklist. James Spader is a treat to watch in that series and although the storyline is faltering a bit, I continue to watch it for this guy and for the need to finish something i have started. I also watched a bunch of limited episode series like Criminal, Paranoid .etc. on Netflix. I would love if someone would suggest some good detective or thriller series because although I am not able to remember many names at the moment, whenever I check lists it seems like I watched most of them. So if you have any good recommendations, it would be neat to get them. I also love sitcoms like Friends, HIMYM, TBBT, The Office, Happy Endings .etc so those suggestions would also be helpful.
You can watch Person of Interest and Castle (they deviate a bit with love story angle "will they / won't they" from S5 onwards. But the mysteries are still enjoyable. Last season was crap though)

If you want to watch action adventure show, you can check out Burn Notice. The cast was mad cap in that. Once Jesse appears in Season 3 or 4, it becomes even more fun.

Strike Back is a Starz show which is out and out guns blazing stuff. Upto S5, they have the same leading actors. They returned for S6 onwards with an all new cast. Did not watch after S5, so don't know how good/bad the rest of the seasons are. (Also it is a Starz show. So do not see it with your parents or children ;-) )

Homeland is great. Though after S5, I have not seen it as I felt it was faltering. S4 was the best of the series (our Lunchbox girl was there as an ISI big shot in that season. And she killed it)

Mentalist and Stranger Things got me binging. Castle starts of well but then deteriorates. The leads had increasing issues off screen and it reflected on screen. I gave up midway.
Burn Notice is good fun with Bruce Campbell. Leverage is also pretty good if you can suspend belief.
Has anyone watched Resident Alien with Alan Tudyk ?

Some silly yet noteworthy suggestions,
Mr. Robot
Ozark
The Expanse
Fargo
Black Mirror
The Terror
Hannibal
Sherlock Holmes

Something that is bothering me right now and I feel it is more of click and bait. In Netflix Menu, Black Mirror Tile is showing as some couple kissing. I feel that is unnecessary and doesn't even reflect what the show is. Feels more like a click baity thing to me.

Something that is bothering me right now and I feel it is more of click and bait. In Netflix Menu, Black Mirror Tile is showing as some couple kissing. I feel that is unnecessary and doesn't even reflect what the show is. Feels more like a click baity thing to me.
Lol, IDK. Maybe it is about the dating episode or could be something else. Generally Netflix is known for messing with suggestions tile when it comes to series info. so it could be a different still from one of the episodes or it could be some issue with the app.

Last edited:
Lol, IDK. Maybe it is about the dating episode or could be something else. Generally Netflix is known for messing with suggestions tile when it comes to series info. so it could be a different still from one of the episodes or it could be some issue with the app.

This is what it shows...

Netflix.jpg

Guys
Can you folks suggest some interesting thriller, suspence miniseries / tv shows
Suitable for 14 year Old girls
She has watched stranger things and loved it although watched it by curating it herself as its i guess 16 plus or may be 18

Some more please
Death Note is a very engaging series with around 30 episodes. It will take her some time to grasp the whole thing.

Other recommendation can be Planet Earth and Cosmos (Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson both). The Expanse 1st 3 seasons are good too, but it has a few adult scenes here and there. If she is into Marvel universe or Star Wars then WandaVision or Mandalorian are worth a one-time watch too. There are many good sci-fi/thriller series but most of them may not be appropriate for a 14 year old.

Seinfeld and Yes, Minister (BBC) are another two recommendations but they are comedy.

I would highly recommend two movies - Spirited Away and Hachiko as well.

Some more movie reco -
Scifi/Thriller - The Man from Earth, Searching, Primer, Source Code, Arrival, Interstellar, The Sixth Sense, The Prestige, Inception

Drama - The Dark Knight, Whiplash, Million Dollar Baby, The King's Speech, The Pianist (based on Nazi-Jew atrocities - may have some graphic scenes), Rear Window 1954, Casablanca 1942, Hotel Rwanda, Gandhi, A Beautiful Mind

Philosophical drama - The Tree of Life, The Sunset Limited (has a bit depressing end but is a fulfilling movie if you watch it just for the dialogue)

Animated - Rango, Isle of Dogs and Fantastic Mr. Fox (The only Wes Anderson movies she can watch)

Action - Bourne Series

Romance - Midnight in Paris, Annie Hall, The Artist (Silent movie), 500 days of Summer,

Movie-cum-documentary - Terms and Conditions may apply, The Social Dilemma

Movie/Series recommendations are highly subjective, what is gold for me can be shit for someone else. Heck, i don't know if I would've liked all these movies when I was 14 yrs old. Phew!

Last edited:
Death Note is a very engaging series with around 30 episodes. It will take her some time to grasp the whole thing.

Other recommendation can be Planet Earth and Cosmos (Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson both). The Expanse 1st 3 seasons are good too, but it has a few adult scenes here and there. If she is into Marvel universe or Star Wars then WandaVision or Mandalorian are worth a one-time watch too. There are many good sci-fi/thriller series but most of them may not be appropriate for a 14 year old.

Seinfeld and Yes, Prime Minister (BBC) are another two recommendations but they are comedy.

I would highly recommend two movies - Spirited Away and Hachiko as well.

Some more movie reco -
Scifi/Thriller - The Man from Earth, Searching, Primer, Source Code, Arrival, Interstellar, The Sixth Sense, The Prestige, Inception

Drama - The Dark Knight, Whiplash, Million Dollar Baby, The King's Speech, The Pianist (based on Nazi-Jew atrocities - may have some graphic scenes), Rear Window 1954, Casablanca 1942, Hotel Rwanda, Gandhi, A Beautiful Mind

Philosophical drama - The Tree of Life, The Sunset Limited (has a bit depressing end but is a fulfilling movie if you watch it just for the dialogue)

Animated - Rango, Isle of Dogs and Fantastic Mr. Fox (The only Wes Anderson movies she can watch)

Action - Bourne Series

Romance - Midnight in Paris, Annie Hall, The Artist (Silent movie), 500 days of Summer,

Movie-cum-documentary - Terms and Conditions may apply, The Social Dilemma

Movie/Series recommendations are highly subjective, what is gold for me can be shit for someone else. Heck, i don't know if I would've liked all these movies when I was 14 yrs old. Phew!
Thanks mate
She actually likes unpredictable plots within thriller mystery genre..
She loved lost in space, stranger things, a series of unfortunate events (the series), just add magic series, the umbrella academy and similar stuff...
I have been pushing her to watch Wanda vision as well as the mandalorian but she is yet to take a plunge into the marvel and dc stuff....

Would like to piggyback some fine folk's review here of Fauda to mention that it is by far the most intense show I've watched till date. It took many sleepless nights to get through it as I went through a rollercoaster of emotions, given how often things used to go sideways in it. Highly recommended!
The Expanse 7/10
Westworld 9/10
The man in the High Castle 8/10
Deathnote 10/10
The Boys 7/10
Whaaaa I am surprised. Expanse is arguably the best sci-fi show made yet. Things tend to get a little slow but the sheer accuracy they've tried to display of the occurring events alone would make it amazing in my books. I'd highly recommend anyone who loves Sci-fi to watch it. 9/10 without a doubt

Back