English TV series discussion

3) Y: The Last Man - based on a comics of the said name. 5 episodes in, nothing riveting has happened yet. Acting is mixed bag and I don't think it will improve much as reviews aren't great either. Watching just because of intriguing premise.
I was so intrigued by the first couple of episodes I ended up reading the entire graphic novel series a couple of week back. The comic was good but the way is series is going doesn't inspire too much confidence. Yorick is even more irritating compared to the comic.
4) The White Lotus - half hearted attempt at creating a drama. Undeveloped characters, undecided character arc. Good score.
It was basically pointed at white upper class privilege. We are not exactly the target market for this kind of satire.

Midnight Mass on netflix is a decent watch.

It was a bit too slow and disjointed for Mike Flanagan. I guess you will fumble a but here and there after the sky-high expectations set up by The Haunting Of Hill House/Bly Manor and Dr. Sleep.

See is great, I am waiting for season to finish then watch without waiting

I saw Season 1 had 44% on Rotten Tomatoes so I ignored it. Is it good then?

Just finished Squid Game now and it was frigging awesome.

Another series I watched this week and would highly recommend is The Chestnut Man on Netflix.

Watched the first episode of "Kin" and it was pretty good. Now I am downloading and keeping 'em to watch in one go when the season ends.

I was so intrigued by the first couple of episodes I ended up reading the entire graphic novel series a couple of week back. The comic was good but the way is series is going doesn't inspire too much confidence. Yorick is even more irritating compared to the comic.
Where did you read the graphic novel? Tachiyomi?
white upper class .
After many years of watching Hollywood drama, I can almost pretend to be one but still didn't get it, lol.

Watched "Squid Game" and it was very interesting and I enjoyed it. Need to recommend my wife to watch.
She keeps watching Pakistani dramas on YouTube uploaded by ARY Digital.
Thanks for recommendation I wasn't expecting it to be that good but you can't stop thinking about next episode and I end up watching 4 episodes back to back and that means I will have to spend 4 extra hours on work today :D
My mom does the same

IMG_2811.jpg

I end up watching 4 episodes back to back.....
damn you :p , I just binged entire series today back to back.

Turned out to be one of the best series, definitely in my top-10 list.
Liked the emotional roller-coaster and suspense, E-06 is my favourite.... E8&9 (ending) could have done better.

damn you :p , I just binged entire series today back to back.

Liked the emotional roller-coaster and suspense, E-06 is my favourite.... E8&9 (ending) could have done better.
indeed yes, I've watched rest of them in a row as well. Definitely one of the best

If you like good old proper ENGLISH settings with the simplicity and charm of good ol 60s with awesome thrill and murder mysteries... Then do catch all the seasons of Endeavour.

As we all know it aint English if it aint a great thriller, typical awesome English stuff with great locals and awesome setting... I just love to watch it for the fineness in each and every regard...

The story, the camera work, the great English one liners and ofcourse awesome story and acting.

Had been developed as a prequel to that good old morse series

Lovecraft Country: What a clusterfuck! Started nice and was intriguing till episode 2 and then everything went downhill from the Ghost episode 3!! Watched just because of Jonathan Majors but there wasn't much to acting either.

Sopranos S1&2: Just an okay drama and nowhere as good as mentioned all over internet. Seems like I'll have to re-re-re-watch The Wire.

Succession: average drama again. S1 was boring, S2 was a little better but the whole story revolves around just the Father-Son duo mostly. Other siblings are just space-fillers even till S03, no substantial progress here. Bit stereotypical.

Only Murders in the Building: below average crime mystery stuff.

Lovecraft Country: What a clusterfuck! Started nice and was intriguing till episode 2 and then everything went downhill from the Ghost episode 3!! Watched just because of Jonathan Majors but there wasn't much to acting either.

Sopranos S1&2: Just an okay drama and nowhere as good as mentioned all over internet. Seems like I'll have to re-re-re-watch The Wire.

Succession: average drama again. S1 was boring, S2 was a little better but the whole story revolves around just the Father-Son duo mostly. Other siblings are just space-fillers even till S03, no substantial progress here. Bit stereotypical.

Only Murders in the Building: below average crime mystery stuff.

Man, you are critical. Sopranos and Succession as ace series.

Man, you are critical. Sopranos and Succession as ace series.
Well, this area is pretty subjective so I don't really judge others by their choice. Liking a movie/series depends on many things like - how good cinema one has already watched or what are one's personal preferences or if the premise is sth interesting or direction is out of this world etc.

I am not saying Sopranos isn't good, it is well-acted drama with no major ****ups and if I hadn't seen better dramas, it could as well be my favorite, but its not. Premise is good but novelty wears out pretty fast after Season 1.

Second, Succession is nowhere an ace series in my books. Just an average one. Acting is a mixed bag, characters aren't very well developed and lacks subtlety of a good drama. In my books, a good cinema emphasises on subtle details, and has to be much more than just a few catchphrase and emotion-charged characters.

PS - don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings.

PS - don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings.

Now I have to know what do you feel about 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul'.
I do have to agree that Sopranos gets boring and repetitive and it's not something one can binge watch. I had to drag myself to finish it after the first 2-3 seasons. Haven't watched Succession yet, although it has been pretty well received. Currently watching Peaky Blinders and enjoying it quite a lot.

Now I have to know what do you feel about 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul'.
Better Call Saul is the OG, man! I'd rate it even higher than Breaking Bad, which is fantastic on its own. Off the top of my head, my 3 favorite dramas - the wire, bcs, bb.

Need to watch Peaky blinders though, just not fond of 'goodfellas' kind of stuff, so delaying it.

damn you [emoji14] , I just binged entire series today back to back.

May be the Korean setting entices all of us more. I also liked it, it's a good drama.

But, if you think of it, it's a lot cliched. The characters, the plot and all. But, a well made clich.

Binged watched Kim's Convenience over the weekend upto Season 4. Really like this show. It is clean comedy with very likeable characters. Definitely recommended.
Watching Season 5 now.

Does anyone know when The Boys Season 3 will drop?
The filming started in Feb 2021 and is still going on so I imagine it'll be quite a while before we see it. I'd recommend watching Banshee in the meanwhile. It has Anthony Starr as the lead
It's out?

I've been waiting so long.
Have you watched Jason Momoa's "See"? It's also on Apple TV+, have heard good things.
See is really good. The cinematography and the production quality is amazing. Can't wait for season 3.

Back