English TV series discussion

I got 5 episodes of The Wire, saw the pilot episode and I didn't find it extremely exciting. Should I continue with the rest of the episodes? What is it that I should really look forward to in this series?

yes yes yes.

Personally, its the best drama series I've ever watched.. has some brilliant performances.

It starts of kinda slow, so just stick with it for a couple of more episodes..

Ethan_Hunt said:
I got 5 episodes of The Wire, saw the pilot episode and I didn't find it extremely exciting. Should I continue with the rest of the episodes? What is it that I should really look forward to in this series?

yea, you should continue watching it. season one is pretty damn good... like i've said many times before, i feel that season 2 onwards the show starts going downhill. however, you will only be able to judge after you've watched it. but season one is really good.

just finished watching being human after seeing quite a few recommendations in this thread. i have to say, i'm very disappointed with the show. it has hopeless acting which is compounded by terrible script writing. i want those 6 hours of my life back.

^Yes, the acting can be a little cheeky but I like the overall feel of the show. BTW, did you watch the pilot episode? The pilot is very different from the rest of the series. For one, the vampire and the Ghost are played by different actors and secondly the pilot was much more darker in theme. But anyways, its entertaining to watch and not completely mindless like True Blood. You know of any other better Vampire shows on air?

Bluffmaster said:
^Yes, the acting can be a little cheeky but I like the overall feel of the show. BTW, did you watch the pilot episode? The pilot is very different from the rest of the series. For one, the vampire and the Ghost are played by different actors and secondly the pilot was much more darker in theme. But anyways, its entertaining to watch and not completely mindless like True Blood. You know of any other better Vampire shows on air?

yea i watched the pilot. it only felt slightly better because it was the start of the series and i was expecting them to lay down the foundations to the show and characters, and not engage in any real storytelling.

the 'reboot' was ridiculous. only the vampire had some decent acting. the werewolf and ghost were pathetic actors who spent half the time in childish histrionics which i suppose was meant to be endearing but it was actually lame. at least 20 minutes out of every 60 in an episode was wasted on absolutely mundane scenes which could be removed from the show without any consequence. and the writing was terrible beyond belief. no structure or pacing to the story, and plot holes the size of planets in between. the first 3 episodes (out of 6), they didn't even get the main storyline going.

that vampire that mitchell turned... lauren. what an inconsistent character she was. first she pesters him to be with her, threatens to kill people if he doesn't and then in the last episode, she suddenly turns around and becomes all noble and self sacrificing. bullshit. the werewolf that turned george... interesting character all the way to the end of the episode when he finally reveals that he's very lonely and wants company. annie's fiance... first time he sees a ghost, he smiles and starts taunting her as if it's the most natural thing in the world. then she whispers something in his ear for 4 seconds and he goes completely mad... really? and the whole herrick (sp?) thing was so pointless... the vampires are plotting to take over the entire world from a small suburb in england... wow. and herrick has to fight mitchell because it's a matter of symbolism! no real reason, just his ego! and when he finally does go to fight, he doesn't actually fight at all... he went there to get killed by the werewolf to prove the point that the werewolf is not a human after all...

the more i think about it, the more obvious it becomes just how useless the writing on the show is.

for your last question, i don't know many good vampire shows on tv. however, pretty much all of them will be better than this trash. any show which doesn't have 2 out of 3 main characters screaming and bumbling like idiots for most of the episode beats this show.

^I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this. I personally quite like this show. I think the acting is on par with shows like True Blood. The werewolf is actually my favorite in terms of acting. The intensity with which he transforms is amazing to watch. As far as plot holes go, they are present in every show these days and finding plot holes in a supernatural show isn't really fair anyways. I agree, the show has some faults but as far as vampire shows goes, this one is easily amongst the best. I would personally rate it higher than True Blood.

i don't see why logical inconsistencies in the plot should be forgiven just because it's a show about the supernatural.

it's not like i'm questioning the basic premise of the show... i'm not saying that the show is dumb because ghosts and vampires aren't real. it's the way the story is developed which is ridiculously stupid.

i have watched prisonbreak ,heroes and the big bang theory . i have dled full lost .which tv series should i watch - lost,dexter ,scourage or any others???

I watched the 1st of of 1st season few months back.. Honestly, didnt really catch my attention.. may be i will give it a try after a while..

Finished 1st season of Big Love... Not spectacular per se, but a decent show. More so interesting due to its main plot/concept...

log 1 = 0 said:
I watched the 1st of of 1st season few months back..

say what? :bleh:

i liked the season finales of californication and dexter. on the other hand, it bugs me that all shows will be gone now for about a month or so :(

I watched the 1st ep of of 1st season few months back.. Honestly, didnt really catch my attention.. may be i will give it a try after a while..

spindoctor said:
say what? :bleh:

i liked the season finales of californication and dexter. on the other hand, it bugs me that all shows will be gone now for about a month or so :(

Was talking about bones ;), not dexter..!!

Dexter has been super awesome except middle part of 3rd season..

And I have purposefully haven't started 4th season, so that I can watch it in bulk and in Good quality :D

Pls reviews are that this seasons pretty awesome, so I already have high hopes :p

Back