Fuel price updates thread

Re: Petrol price increased by Rs3.14 per litre.

Aces170 said:
Can you provide a detailed breakup of petrol price components. I think a large part of the price is for the oil marketing bonds. These bonds are provided to the oil companies to subsidize necessary fuel such as diesel and kerosene.

So yes, basically petrol folks are gonna get screwed multiple times over to cover for the losses on diesel and kerosene. And there is nothing the government can do about it.

With regards to a detailed breakup, its posted on team-bhp: Fuel Pricing in India. Detailed Robbery Analysis. - Team-BHP

As for having a perpetually higher petrol price, wouldn't this become a self defeating prophecy over time? Simple demand and supply analysis says that as the differential between petrol and diesel keeps rising, the break even point because of the excess cost of a diesel car would keep falling because of which the government's revenue from petrol would fall and the bill on diesel subsidy would rise ultimately screwing the government.

For example, taking the Ford Figo. According to carwale.com, the mileage of the petrol version is 11 and the diesel version is 14.7. The price of that petrol model is 4,13,000 and the diesel is 5,04,000. Considering a fuel price of Rs. 69 for petrol and Rs. 41 for diesel would translate to a running cost of 6.27 Rs./Km. for the Petrol and 2.79 Rs./Km. for the Diesel version. That's a difference of Rs.3.48/Km. which means that the additional upfront cost of 91,000 Rs. for the diesel version would be recovered in only 26,000Km.

If the same trend continues and the price of petrol is 89 Rs. after say 2 years, then this break-even point would fall to merely 17,000Km so the people whose car usage would be between 17-26000km would switch to diesel vehicles, governments subsidy bill goes up, they make petrol more expensive,even more people switch to diesel, they increase price of petrol further and this vicious cycle continues.

Unfortunate that no one in the government realizes this.

For example, taking the Ford Figo. According to carwale.com, the mileage of the petrol version is 11 and the diesel version is 14.7. The price of that petrol model is 4,13,000 and the diesel is 5,04,000. Considering a fuel price of Rs. 69 for petrol and Rs. 41 for diesel would translate to a running cost of 6.27 Rs./Km. for the Petrol and 2.79 Rs./Km. for the Diesel version. That's a difference of Rs.3.48/Km. which means that the additional upfront cost of 91,000 Rs. for the diesel version would be recovered in only 26,000Km.

If the same trend continues and the price of petrol is 89 Rs. after say 2 years, then this break-even point would fall to merely 17,000Km so the people whose car usage would be between 17-26000km would switch to diesel vehicles, governments subsidy bill goes up, they make petrol more expensive,even more people switch to diesel, they increase price of petrol further and this vicious cycle continues.

Nah the government is not that dumb :p As I said earlier, I am pretty sure we will see some sort of additional tax/duty on diesel car.

TBHP has some very nice analysis, but I would require sources for the breakups. Ideally a guy in equity research market covering energy sector would have the numbers. Let me see if I can get anything. Also I think he has not taken into account loss due to theft/pilferage, that is yet quite high in India. All said and done the Indian oil companies are not that profitable yet :p

As if the govt will let the lay person screw them Once they see too many people buying diesel vehicles, they will move swiftly to either restrict their sales which might not be favorable to the auto companies, or they will play it safe and remove any price benefit people get on diesel they get now. Meaning, the price differential will be given to only heavy and commercial vehicles like goods carriers, trucks, diesel locomotives, whereas, vehicles for private transport like buses, cars, bikes, etc may have to pay market price.

Petrol rate comes down by almost Rs.2/- Some relief.. Actually cant be called as relief but its better to see price going down

ramanujpatro said:
IOC chairman to NDTV : Won't make profit on Petrol.

Who are you fooling Mr. Chairman ?

May cut petrol prices by November 16, says Indian Oil Chairman

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Taxes account for 40% of petrol prices in Delhi

Taxes account for 40% of petrol prices in Delhi - NDTV Profit

Is surely more in states like Karnataka, TN,AP, Maharashtra

I like how they say taxes account for 40% of petrol price, instead of saying Petrol is taxed at 66%

Nice way to show a lower number

The people drinking alcohol say they are the only "TAX PAYERS" in the nation but now we all (the Petrol Vehicle Owners) also earned the right to call themselves "TAX PAYERS" . :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I have a CD 100 which gives a minimum of 55+ .... No worries for me.

malhotraraul said:
now its down by Rs.1.80 per liter today after midnight seeing that the UP elections are near.

i want to know the reason from horse mouth because today only rupee almost went 51 to dollar and also crude have not gone cheaper in international market than why such a sudden cut.

just remembered that the last time when i got my fuel tank full was the night before the prices were increased by Rs.1.82 & now i am going to fill my tank tomorrow

you will se this prompt reduction only till the UP elections.
till then all you petrolheads enjoy :)

ggt said:
you will se this prompt reduction only till the UP elections.

till then all you petrolheads enjoy :)

Am not too worried. Civic is giving between 13 and 15 :D

The thread title needs to be changed to "Fuel Price Fluctuations and related Ranting!!!" :lol:

Yes up and maharashtra elections and code of conduct applies here in bmc.So it doesnt become an issue till than petrol cut.Once its over be ready for 5 buks increase.

But i am in double trouble.If price rises i cry for my nano,if it reduces my hpcl shares take a dig down.

Back