CPU/Mobo Getting DFI mobos in India officially

Not to muddy up the water further but Funky and Darky vouch for Asus reliability over DFI's.

I hope they reply in this thread....

i would vouch for stability of ASUS.

DFI can give nightmares at start if you are new to DFI experience. Its not easy to configure it.

But ever since i have configured it properly i am yet to see single crash on DFI as well.

Dont get DFi to run the processor at stock speeds. As far as overclocking goes nothing touches DFi except maybe newer jetway board.

^@Nikhil: What everyone was talking about was quality/reliability of the motherboard. DFI boards use pretty high quality components (of course), their main forte being the high quality "japanese capacitors". So in that sense, quality/reliability of the boards is quite good.

Thats different from "stability" which Funky and Darky mention. The BIOS being hugely complex, leaves a lot of options open to the user to configure - this was done assuming the user is an enthusiast who knows what all the settings are for. Unless carefully configured, you would have stability problems with the board. This is unlike Asus boards where everything is pretty much plug and play without fiddling around in the BIOS.

DFIs are a can of mixed worms. They definitely make use of high-quality Jap-Caps,
but OTOH, they've problems with most of the RAM sticks out there.
It seems to me that Oscar has designed the boards purposely not to work with
Value RAMs, keeping in sync with the 'Enthusiast' image. But what about XMS?
Corsair XMS isn't a value brand. And, after all this nitpicking, the performance
graphs of DFIs aren't exactly sky-rocketing. Difference isn't great, and sometimes
lesser known brands like Soltek beat it. :tongue:

DFI became synonymous with enthusiasm only recently, and much of it can be
attributed to pure fanboyism. On a few forums, if you haven't got a DFI, there's
something terribly wrong with you.

I have personally used ASUS and Intel (Foxconn OEM?) boards and never had
anything bad to complain about. IMHO, for those looking for stability along with
performance, ASUS is the best you can get. And, I've heard that A8N32 scores
higher than most in overclocking department too.

As for me, after looking at the pricelist (thanks to Freaky, Eddy!) I can fit even
the SLI-DR in my budget if I want to. But I've decided to wait for the A8N32 a
little bit more. If it doesn't become available by next two weeks, I'm all set for
the A8N-SLI Premium.

@Eddy... I know the difference between stability and reliability. :p

But I have heard Funky and Darky talk abt the stability of Asus. So, just thought I would mention that too. But I guess it came out all wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaraj said:
It seems to me that Oscar has designed the boards purposely not to work with Value RAMs, keeping in sync with the 'Enthusiast' image. But what about XMS? Corsair XMS isn't a value brand.
Hehe, quite true! Agreed, the DFI is notorious for problems with Corsair XMS sticks. AFAIK people have put up a couple of "settings" to get around with working optimally with them, not sure on this though!

TBH, a LOT has to do with the BIOS. I would go as far as to say that the BIOS is the major component of the entire DFI "package". Not that Oscar has deliberately left the Value-RAM owners out in the cold, but rather the BIOS'es are specifically tuned to bring out the best from high-performance RAM, after all most of the people using these boards have some of the finest hardware at their disposal. There are even releases of BIOS'es with a -1, -2, -3 tag to signify which set of RAM it works best with (TCCD or BH/CH). But to say it is finicky with Value RAM isnt entirely correct, I for one am doing perfectly fine on TwinMos value RAM :eek:hyeah: . FYI, Darky had once picked up a pair of TwinMos BH-5 sticks from me, and put them in his Asus board. At stock these used to crash/reboot and what not consistently, he was ready to send it back and ask for a replacement at one point, until he swapped thm onto his Epox motherboard and the pair ran flawlessly ;)

One down-side however is, often the folks at DFI Street refuse to help much unless you have top-notch hardware along with the board - that includes a high-end PSU, high-end RAM, etc. Now while there is nothing wrong with this concept of putting together good hardware, sometimes it seems downright unhelpful.

I also totally agree with the DFI Fanboyism doing the rounds, you can often see me in the config help threads cursing those recommending to "wait till nov. 20th and get your DFI" , simply for the fact that the board isnt for the average user. As i mentioned before, the BIOS is a crucial part of the motherboard, and thats where the Asus scores in that while it does not offer much scope in fiddling around - it lets you run your system flawlessly off the bat. If you know what you're doing, if you intend to do some serious overclocking, or even if you know nothing about it but intend to learn something on the OC'ing journey - only then would a DFI make sense for you.

The problem with XMS was in the sticks, older revisions. Current world record for 3dmark is set using the XMS on DFI. They work well if setup properly in bios
A8N32 is great board, i was planning to buy it but then decided to go with DFI RDX insted as its available now. And A8N32 is not even in the pipeline of rashi import so its not gona come any time soon. Not for a month atleast.
Other boards still lacks the flexibility that DFI offers. DFI works well with almost any ram module you throw at it. The RAM overclocking factor will vary depending on the ram.
You can choose to have UTT or TCCX. EVerything will go well with DFI.
And this board is targetted at enthusiast only. Its marketed like that by DFI. For rest of the users Infinity series is there. Good stable platform.
99% i will be placing order for RDX next week. Lets see :D

For rest of the users Infinity series is there. Good stable platform.

AFAIK the Infinity platform is pretty much the same as the Lanparty series sans the UV reactive components and other frills. At the hardware level, both are pretty identical and offer up OC'ing at a value price.

Who says DFI doesnt work with value Rams.

There are ppl out here who have run the Hynix D43 chips on the DFI.
Infact Darky oced the Hynix to 297Mhz on his DFI with 3.2VDimm

Also DFI is not for begineers the BIOS on the Lanparty is so complex that it can even make the pro's go mad.

I remember i had to read so many threads at dfi street & so many reviews to understand the BIOS options in DFI.

I was earlier getting a A8N-E but later decided to get a Ultra-D after doing so much of reading and so many TE members who helped me.

I would really like to suggest first time buyers to get a ASUS Motherboard.
But for the Enthu's DFI LanParty is the board for u.

@Funky - The DFI RDX has been facing a lot of problems , u might be knowing about it many ppl at XS have been talking abt it.

Not exactly a first time buyer, I've been building systems since 1998. Still, after
reading horrorsome stories about DFI on just about every HW forum, I can't
recommend a board so complex and troublesome to anyone.
And my Kingston KVR is not on the 'recommended' list on dfi-street. But that
doesn't make Kingston look bad. It's only the fanboys that would go singing
any hardware is bad if it doesn't work with DFI.

I would say DFI is for those who prefer tweakability more than stability. Not that
anything is wrong with that, some people just like livin' on the edge.

i am aware of the issue with RDX board.

I wont be puting my 3700+ in there to start with. The 3000+ will be used on that board. Its more likely that the earlier bios was the reason for this. And the first thing i will be doing is to update the bios.

Lets see what happens.

DFI eXpert kills AMD FX-57 and X2 4600+. Way to go OC'ers. :eek:hyeah:

Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79638&page=5&pp=25

burned028pz.jpg

Yamaraj said:
DFI eXpert kills AMD FX-57 and X2 4600+. Way to go OC'ers. :eek:hyeah:
LOL if you look at the layout, its not the expert but a normal dfi nf4 board :p. The 1-14 bios was the cause of all those burnt cpus. That had been fixed before most people even got the board. OPB is one of those guys who gets pre production hardware and hence, he'll face the problems all betas/alpha stuff are associated with. The RDX chip killing issue is sorted out as well. If you read the thread a bit further, you'll see that Tony (the OCZ guy) has been running a dozen ATI boards with no issue whatsoever. The fact of the matter is DFI is the only board peepz overclock with these days. When you overclock, nothing is certain and things might happen. Thats the luck of the draw. If you wanna run at stock, you are better off with asus.

EDIT: KVR is not on the recommended list of anyone. You are better off with twinmos :p. Kingston neither makes good enthusiast products nor low end stuff.

In the picture, the board is SLi-DR. But the news of eXpert killing two expensive
CPUs is correct. And this issue has not yet been fixed.

TwinMOS is not a Class-1 brand either. IMHO, DFIs are are hack put together.
What they work with and what they don't is a matter beyond conprehension.
What good is a board when it doesn't work with 90% of RAM sticks available in
the market today? Kingston KHX is on their list, but none of their nF4 boards
work with them correctly.

Ockar Wu be damned for his leet hacks. May a 1.42 OC fuse his critical nerves. :rofl:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ...
DFIs are still killing RAMs: dfi-street
RDX (true to its name) is still killing CPUs: XtremeSystems, and
ATI says RDX did not pass CrossFire certification.

Read more on [H]ard|OCP: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODg4
Even die-hard DFI fanboys are asking for a recall of all ~1000 CrossFire boards sold.
More problems for DFI and of course, Oskar Wu. :rofl:

Whoa! Some major DFI bashing going on. This is really interesting. And quite an eye opener. I (along with many others, I believe), was just swept blindly along the DFI fanboy wave. Never gave a thought to these potential issues.

Back