Storage Solutions HDD Prices may go up.. Edit: Gone up

Jan 17, 2006
I too bought ...1 TB WDC harddisk a year back for 2600 , plus 2 160 GB IDE hdd ,and a lappy armed with 250 GB hdd ..feels quite ok but still fear presists .. I was also planning to get 500 GB seagate 2 months back but didn't bought

Aug 11, 2009
Austin,TX
After a long time checked deltapage.com here at chennai and i was surprised to find 1TB costing above 4.5K... I was confused...Recently i bought a samsung spinpoint 1TB for $40 from newegg about 3 months ago.

Now i rechecked every HDD cost has increased... I guess the old days are gone...

ReVo_007

#techie
ex-Mod
Apr 28, 2010
Kolkata
It's a g good time to back up your excess data on one dump and sell youR hdd for quite a profit

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
Source : Thailand Floods: HD Prices To Remain Extortionately High As Supplies Get Ever Tighter | techPowerUp

Thailand Floods: HD Prices To Remain Extortionately High As Supplies Get Ever Tighter

The recent dreadful flooding in Thailand has forced the closure of several hard drive factories. The immediate concerns of course, are for the health and wellbeing of the people living and working in the area. The wider concern is the severe restriction in hard drive manufacturing capacity. Already, prices have doubled or tripled, depending on the exact model affected. The biggest HD manufacturer, Western Digital, has been hit the hardest, as IDC predicts that up to 75% of its production will be shut down. This means, that the big corporate HD customers, those like HP and Dell, who build computer systems in large volumes, will get whatever inventory is available to fully satisfy their needs. Whatever is left is then sold on to the retail channel, for ordinary consumers to buy. IDC believes that hard disc production will reach pre-flood levels by around March, but that HD levels by then will be very low. The prices should go through the roof then, in the meantime. As expected, this will also increase the prices of complete systems, as such a price hike is too much to absorb fully.

quan chi

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
thegatekeeper said:
1tb seagate barracuda-3.8k @itwares,i hope the rates come down soon.
dude havent you read my previous post.Its around 5.1k.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Alright guys can anyone give me a rough estimate.how much further this thing may go.500 gb costs around 5k.add another one to the above.

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
quan chi said:
dude havent you read my previous post.Its around 5.1k Alright guys can anyone give me a rough estimate.how much further this thing may go.500 gb costs around 5k.add another one to the above.

Nobody can predict where it would stop. It can go anywhere but south...

By the way where is 500GB for 5k+. I think its still around 4k...

Supra

Skilled
Feb 10, 2005
^^ Online prices and ebay prices r useless. Ordered one from ebay and seller initiated refund ! So why are we considering those prices !!

500GB is like 4~4.5k, 1TB is now 5.5~6k, 2TB > 7k

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
Supra said:
^^ Online prices and ebay prices r useless. Ordered one from ebay and seller initiated refund ! So why are we considering those prices !!

500GB is like 4~4.5k, 1TB is now 5.5~6k, 2TB > 7k

Yepp. locally 500GB is still ~4k, not lower... But I guess local factors & stock availability also would reflect on the price. No idea about fresh imports though...

Cheaper HDD's on eBay are all Imports with questionable warranty...