Audio Headphone for 2-3k

^^^^^^

i saw the akg headsets @ atria, paladum. Most models were not on demo..

AKGs were on demo at either profx or jbl.. Think it was the jbl store..

Shalu had audio technica and Sennheisers. He said he will b bringing in other models too later. Hence i said, someone call and check with him as to what he has stacked up..

FaH33m said:
The A900 that you plan to get and DT880 are in the same price range :bleh: .

My bad. It was the A700 I was talking of. :ashamed:

Ebay Global has it listed for 10k odd. OKayish but that's the price KMD is going to charge as well I suppose. :p

Hey btw is ATH-A900 EOL? I cant seem to find them at their website?! :S

^ dunno .A900 is their on Amazon.

You planning for AD700 or A700 ? The AD's are open version while A is the close version .AD700 supposedly sounds slightly better and has wider soundstage due to its open nature .Its cheaper as well :p

^ I've heard so much about AD700's soundstage.

Faheem, lets go check out this Shalu guy. We'll see what all things he keeps in stock and what we can audition.

FaH33m said:
^ dunno .A900 is their on Amazon.

You planning for AD700 or A700 ? The AD's are open version while A is the close version .AD700 supposedly sounds slightly better and has wider soundstage due to its open nature .Its cheaper as well :p

I know the ADs are open cans but I prefer the closed ones. Cant bear the sound leakage. :p

Besides, I read on headfi that the A700 comes close to the A900.

viralbug said:

Faheem, lets go check out this Shalu guy. We'll see what all things he keeps in stock and what we can audition.

Hey if any of you are going for an audition this Sunday lemme know. I would love to come. :)

viralbug said:

BF1983 said:
Hey if any of you are going for an audition this Sunday lemme know. I would love to come. :)

Not this Sunday ..but sometime after 30th April . My exams :ashamed:.

I would love to checkout the AD700s .A member in Mumbai also has them nah .. we can ask him as well.:p

ok guys, i went and heard the ath-50's, akg's 271 and 701, shure 840's and guess what,, my sony, my s4's, my cx-500's and my senn 555's sound so much more fun.. on my s9's, with the listed 4 models, i cant take d volume above 25 without hurting my ears on bbe machbass mode.. but with the akg and shure i was at 30 plus and still there was less juice.. i am sure not that d above clearly need amps to run em else there is just no point buying them..

AT-700's r completely out of stock and not expected anytime soon........

^ In that case all the models that you heard were underpowered. Anyways could you share details of the store where you auditioned the AKG-701s ,M50 and Shure SRH-840 ? These are the models I would love to audition .

The same place bro..
Remember my earlier msg to you as to which cans to pick up. Anyways for my movies, connected to my marantz amp, i picked up a sennheiser 485 from this guy from bangalore. Now he wanted ad-700's so i told him they r available @ shalu and ill chk and tell him d output. Their last piece got sold today morning, called d distributor too @ cat-5 but he too confirmed, no more 700's for a good time now..

Anyways d above models r all there @ shalu music. He recognized me from my last purchases which billed a good 30k odd, hence readily gave me an audition. I suggest u call and go since i remember ur from navi mumbai..
AKG's @ view at JBL stores too.. there its with amp's, proper setup....

BTW, he told me that since i like some bass, to stay away from the hd-600 and the 650 and even the akg-701's for that matter.. his personal fav, the sennheiser pxc 350 and 450's.. only prob, they r a good 25k upwards.. But he guaranteed me that the cans r completely made for home usage and i wont need to amp em..

The audio technica guys told me something similar.. As per him, the 700's lack bass and the ath-50's r strictly for professional usage only. not for home music and movies.. He said "u wud be wasting ur money" as per his professional advice :)

@OP

Have a look at these head-fi threads.

Senn HD477 or Philips SHP8900 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

PHILIPS SHP8900 VS Beyer's DT770 pro 80ohm ? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

F/S Shure SRH440, Sennheiser HD555, Philips SHP8900, AUS only - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

They place the SHP8900 ahead of HD477 and even the HD 555.

And some additional features like detachable cable, carry bag etc makes it the best buy under 3k.

I have the same and i can say, its one of the best sounding headphones under 5~6k. You will surely need an amp to drive it.

One individual placed it bro..

You cannot compare it to the 555 dude/// Yes d Philips r good for the money but come on, better than the 555's??? thats taking it a bit too far now.

Ive heard both and no d Philips in overall sound quality doesn't match the overall performance of the 555's.

Yes amps make em all sound good but once u bring in quality amps in the picture, the 5-6 k cans from akg, sennheiser and denon completely blow away the philips..

OP, if on a budget, go philips, if 5-6k, u got better options..

FaH33m said:
^ In that case all the models that you heard were underpowered. Anyways could you share details of the store where you auditioned the AKG-701s ,M50 and Shure SRH-840 ? These are the models I would love to audition .

yea man, totally agree.. without amps u just cant buy em. But the sound signature even though underpowered was crisp, clear and the mids and highs were exactly where they belonged.
Faheem especially the shure imo.. ofcourse they were underpowered and post amps d results might change :)

But then, a very obvious question.. wouldn't you go the way of a denon for say 7.5k for the 1001's instead of buying these at 8-13k and another 7-8k for amps??? (by amps i mean more like ibasso or arrow and now e5's or even my amps like yamaha or marantz)

D denon 1001's were seriously no slouch.. For a bass lover like myself, they were just perfect.

dOm1naTOr said:
its not me... its the guys at head-fi who's saying that.

ya man, thats what i meant... that its just 1 guy there saying it and its not even a review.

ok just for ur knowledge, in the sennheiser 400 series, leaving out the 448 and the 485, all the rest have a sq to particular genres. Even i didn't know this earlier till i met someone at sennheiser and he explained it to me. infact even the 448 lean towards pmp then a more general multi purpose.

The thing is bro, till today evening i had not tried out most companies.. today i tried out the shure, akg and audio technicas and guess what, the SS of all of em was different.. basically for 5-6k or the 10 or 15k u put in, there is something ur getting back in return which is quiet different from say cans which r worth 3-4k..

hey whr can i get JUC rx700 or other jvc headphones in mumbai????? and abt shp8900......will my speaker amp of Logitech z5300 do the job?????

edge111hussain said:
BTW, he told me that since i like some bass, to stay away from the hd-600 and the 650 and even the akg-701's for that matter.. his personal fav, the sennheiser pxc 350 and 450's.. only prob, they r a good 25k upwards.. But he guaranteed me that the cans r completely made for home usage and i wont need to amp em..

Thats ridiculous ! Even without major amping the HD650 have lots of bass. Many people sell them because they find them too bassy !

If you amp them then their bass really shines and has tremendous impact.

edge111hussain said:
ok just for ur knowledge, in the sennheiser 400 series, leaving out the 448 and the 485, all the rest have a sq to particular genres. Even i didn't know this earlier till i met someone at sennheiser and he explained it to me. infact even the 448 lean towards pmp then a more general multi purpose.

Oh ! I did not know that. Good info to know. :)

Back