HELP - Doubts on iPhone ??

iv got a iphone 3g unlocked and jb'd on 4.0.2..

Now, i want to upgrade it to 4.1 but the problem is that home button is sticky and i dont want to rely on putting it in DFU mode..

Now, the 3 options i have listed down is..

1. use sn0wbreeze, ireb and use recboot for recovery mode to upgrade it to 4.1 and den unlock via ultrasn0w..

2. use a custom fw and den restore via itunes..

3. there is this one method which does not require putting the phone into DFU( if it is previously jb'd).. it is available on sinfuliphone dot com..I dont know if we are allowed to post the link here, but it can be easily googled..The method is fine but it requires deleting and adding some files using the explorer which i find fishy..

has anyone upgraded their 3g to 4.1 yet... If so, which one of the above is the safest method OR if there are any better methods which dont upgrade the baseband, please let me know..

@Rajshah

Thank you for telling on exchange.

Whats exact difference b/w configuration of Gmail by Clicking Gmail ICON Or Exchange in iPhone mail App ?

thanks rajshah..
I am more inclined towards the first option myself..
I have a few more doubts..
does the phone has to be in DFU or recovery mode for restoration..And if it has to be in DFu..how do i get it into DFU without using the home button..
Secondly, i have one more doubt which is kind of confusing.. Is it better to use the original AT&T sim for activation or should i activate it while building the custom f\w itself..?

Praks said:
@Rajshah

Thank you for telling on exchange.

Whats exact difference b/w configuration of Gmail by Clicking Gmail ICON Or Exchange in iPhone mail App ?

Gmail option let's you configure through imap and exchange option through, well, Exchange. Google for differences.
viditkalra said:
thanks rajshah..

I am more inclined towards the first option myself..

I have a few more doubts..

does the phone has to be in DFU or recovery mode for restoration..And if it has to be in DFu..how do i get it into DFU without using the home button..

Secondly, i have one more doubt which is kind of confusing.. Is it better to use the original AT&T sim for activation or should i activate it while building the custom f\w itself..?
DFU is always better.

There's a few tricks for DFU mode. Google / Youtube will help.

And please activate with the AT&T sim, if you have one. Hacktivation never beats legit Activation. Push notifications will be flawless on a legit activation. You will love it.

PhotostarSR said:
Is it possible to make video calls between iPhone 4 and other 3G phones? (Something that we can do with our 5k 3G phones)
Nope. FaceTime video calling only works on iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4th Gen and Macs.

upgradded via ultrasn0w to 4.1..

The phone is smoother than it was on 4.0.2..menu i smoother, settings open quickly..

But there is a lag while scrolling in menu and some other places..Also, keyboard freeze happens(very rare) at times...

Phone definitely is more responsive..

But for some reason apps from installous wont work..

They open for a few secs and then back to home..

will be googling into the issue..But comments here would be welcomed too..

@ praks- i would defintly recomnd moving onto 4.1..

Thanks Vidit.. Will go for 4.1

Is there any step by step URL for upgrade from 3.1.3 (7E18), Modem firmware 05.12.01

Currently 3G is JB & Unlocked by Spirit & Unltrasn0w

Really want to move to 4.1 as cant install few good softs like iBooks, VLC etc.. Please help.

@Praks You have to install spirit2pwn from cydia.

Then you can restore to a custom 4.1 firmware fro your iPhone 3g.

Loads of tutorials on the internet. Google / Bing - whatever is your pois0n. :D

@vidit Have you updated your Mobile Installation patch from hackulo.us for 4.1 ? Install0us won't work otherwise.

@Praks I forgot you own a 3g. The spirit2pwn tweak is required only on the 3gs with new bootroms.

Get this bundle from here - Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: iPhone 3G iOS 4.1 Custom ipsw_ACTIVATED_NO extra functions.zip

It's a custom firmware. Activated with default iOS4.1 options for the iPhone 3g.

Put your device in DFU mode. And use Shift + Restore in iTunes.

Point to the firmware you downloaded from the above link. You are set.

Just confirm one thing. You have your (soft) SHSH saved on Cydia and locally on your PC, right ?

Not locally on my pc.. Guy who JBed it saved on Cydia servers if I am not wrong.

Have Cydia on my iPhone, Is there any way to confirm if I have my SHSH saved on Cydia servers.

^ No offense, but do you google, ever ? I mean, we are here to help you. But a simple search gives most answers. We can confirm the results / solutions for you.
But would you rather just wait for someone to answer here, even if the answer is ready and waiting in a simple search ?

@rajshah- if i am not wrong, isnt appsync and mobile installation patch the same thing..If they are same, then yes, i installed appsync for 4.1 from cydia..

And there is one more catch to it..

Very few apps are working when installed from installous(these are the apps i had installed on my phone before)..Any new app doesnt work..But i tried adding cracked files from itunes and they worked for the same application..

Search on google didnt give me much answers either, d most common was that ""it is problem with the cracked apps as they might have not been cooked properly""..But when i installed the same app through my pc and itunes, they work..

So, m in kind of a dilemma here...

@praks..google search does give u step by step instructions to update the phone..You would also find videos on youtube.. I was in the same position as your yesterday..Finally decided to take the plunge early morning today..:p..

PS- google helped..A LOT..

@vidit You are correct. It's AppSync. Just list down the cracked apps, and get their updated versions from apptrackr, and install them through the pc. Easiest and safest method after a new firmware update.

yeah..

thats what i am doing..

And surprisingly, there are some apps that are not working after installing them through pc also..

Like photospeak and rising card magic trick..(it says os4 compatible)

^^ ..i liked these apps ..but they are not working on 4.1..

can anybody confirm if they have it working on 4.1..?

viditkalra said:
yeah..

thats what i am doing..

And surprisingly, there are some apps that are not working after installing them through pc also..

Like photospeak and rising card magic trick..(it says os4 compatible)

^^ ..i liked these apps ..but they are not working on 4.1..

can anybody confirm if they have it working on 4.1..?
Which apps?

I have downloaded tons. Never had an issue besides the slow speed of the stupid file hosts...

^^

^^^Tony hawks pro skater 2, photospeak, rising card magic trick, vlc player(installed from installous), contacts backup etc...I got contacts one to run after installing from apptrackr and then syncing but the others wont work even from pc..

So, i am guessing it is the ARM v6 and v7 issue that these apps are not compatible with v6..

Just a random explanation..

If someone can try thps2 on their 3g 4.1, that would be great as it is the one thing i want on the phone from the above list..

UPDATE - i tried the thps2 version from app trackr and it worked..the version i was trying earlier was a custom version(which did work for ppl on 3g 4.1, donnno y it dint work for me)..

Back