HMT discount sale in HMT Showrooms

Can you please tell why is the 6500 movement so important?

That is the ethos of watches. In-house movements. The 6500 is HMT manufactured (though licensed from Miyota). The automatics now we get, have movements totally outsourced by Citizen - Miyota, and just cased in India. There is a difference.

That is the ethos of watches. In-house movements. The 6500 is HMT manufactured (though licensed from Miyota). The automatics now we get, have movements totally outsourced by Citizen - Miyota, and just cased in India. There is a difference.
Sorry for being a total noob here, but how does it affect the watch?
I mean performance wise what is better or why would someone chose 1 movement over the other?

Sorry for being a total noob here, but how does it affect the watch?
I mean performance wise what is better or why would someone chose 1 movement over the other?

It does nothing to the watch. Absolutely nothing. As I mentioned it is the thought and ethos/character which defines a watch. You could say, something to differentiate a watch company and what it stands for, apart from telling the time. Horology lovers are a quirky lot, and since you asked the question, I will mention some other pointers, which are revered but contribute absolutely nothing to the watch mechanics:

1. Domed or flat crystal.
2. Signed crown.
3. In-house movement (like the HMT 6500).
4. Lume life on the chapter.
5. Folded or solid links on the bracelet.
6. Display case back or etched case back.
7. Sapphire vs. Acrylic crystal (though this does add security against accidents).
8. Number of graduations (or precision) on a rotating bezel.
9. Unidirectional bezel vs. "forward" bezel.
10. Depth / Diver rating. (Again this is a security feature - but people are picky about it).
12. Arabic vs. Roman chapters.
13. Minute graduations missing.

List is not exhaustive...! Ever.

It does nothing to the watch. Absolutely nothing. As I mentioned it is the thought and ethos/character which defines a watch. You could say, something to differentiate a watch company and what it stands for, apart from telling the time. Horology lovers are a quirky lot, and since you asked the question, I will mention some other pointers, which are revered but contribute absolutely nothing to the watch mechanics:

1. Domed or flat crystal.
2. Signed crown.
3. In-house movement (like the HMT 6500).
4. Lume life on the chapter.
5. Folded or solid links on the bracelet.
6. Display case back or etched case back.
7. Sapphire vs. Acrylic crystal (though this does add security against accidents).
8. Number of graduations (or precision) on a rotating bezel.
9. Unidirectional bezel vs. "forward" bezel.
10. Depth / Diver rating. (Again this is a security feature - but people are picky about it).
12. Arabic vs. Roman chapters.
13. Minute graduations missing.

List is not exhaustive...! Ever.
Ok. Got it.

Received my Vishwa today, thanks to @gmano . It is absolutely stunning apart from the grinding noise/feel of crown when you try to handwind it and the crown feels like giving up and go free while setting the date.

Once again thanks to gmano and now off to search for Excel :p

So I had been to the watch factory again.
One adsl 04 remains
One nass 03,
plenty of igxl 11,
avinash white dial-seems unique,
Amar-very handsome watch in white , manual wind,
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f71/266208d1268488132-hmt-jayanth-others-amar.jpg
Nachiket has now been pushed into the 30% off bracket.so price is just rupees 1470 now,for those who didn't get a Vishwa.
I don't know if the skeleton automatic which goes for 9250 qualifies for 10 or 23 or 30 percent off. The last two will probably lop a good 2.5k or more off the mrp, so a very good deal if skeletons are your thing.very well made, classy.
Hmt vijay non luminous, white and grey dial 1000 mrp, 23% off.3 pieces left, perhaps more.
A few chinar make watches too in stock
One janata art deco in stock,
A gold cased watch similar to black pilot in stock

No news of the excel.

Oh,and best news ever-i saw a display back in trial.screw on with a mineral/sapphire window.don't know what case size it fits but it is for automatics!

Last edited:
so a very good deal if skeletons are your thing.very well made, classy.
Oh,and best news ever-i saw a display back in trial.screw on with a mineral/sapphire window.don't know what case size it fits but it is for automatics!

I haven't seen the skeletons "live" but from the pictures the design looks busy.
a display back , with clean decorated movement will be fantastic. seems some of the babus are making some effort.
you haven't seen those janatas with textured dials by any chance, do you?

by the way, does hmt have any model with a shape like AP royal oak?

Last edited:
So I had been to the watch factory again.

No news of the excel.

So one bad news and one good :p Let's hope they push some more good looking automatics in market, something like bigger sized Vishwa with display back and mineral/sapphire glass.

you haven't seen those janatas with textured dials by any chance,
no longer available, unless you are looking at used,still rarely seen.

It's not just the babus,search for Aditya sambhare and you will see what he does with hmt watches.
Buy a watch for cheap, put some money and time into it and trim it out on a cnc machine, and sell it for a markup.i showed it to the engineers (not that I have access to hmt engineering, the seemingly un assuming, simple looking person you run into at hmt's showroom sometimes turns out to be a top grade senior executive) It's definitely within hmt's means to skeletonize a simple 0231 movement, but they need manpower and man hours to do so,which is what they don't have. Hmt could make a killing if they sold such skeletons like Aditya sambhare does,for a fraction of his price.

Last edited:
Received my Vishwa today, thanks to @gmano . It is absolutely stunning apart from the grinding noise/feel of crown when you try to handwind it and the crown feels like giving up and go free while setting the date.

Once again thanks to gmano and now off to search for Excel :p

Pik-cha...!

It's definitely within hmt's means to skeletonize a simple 0231 movement, but they need manpower and man hours to do so,which is what they don't have. Hmt could make a killing if they sold such skeletons like Aditya sambhare does,for a fraction of his price.

Mr. Sambhare is one man - with very good skill and excellent design sensibility.
HMT should try to make profit and more than that the priority should be capturing the imagination. If it is not the bureaucracy that is the problem , I don't see what it is. They don't need to mass produce if money and man are the problem. Somewhere between mass production and hand made may be a good starting point.
A limited edition well designed skeleton - with a well crafted publicity campaign has the potential to change the brand image.

Mass produced mechanical watches (or even quartzs ) may anyway be entering the dodo land when and if, smart watches will start replacing phones. HMT should start thinking about their business model , both short and medium term.

by the way, did you get any idea about any new hand winding models ?

Last edited:
I agree with what @biswas is saying. They can up their quality and sell really classy but awesome timepieces. People will buy HMT instead of buying foreign watches. Plus local warranty is always a plus sign.

You pay the actual amount + shipping expenses
Thank You @gmano.
Received the watch today. That was some super quick delivery. I paid on friday and got the watch today on monday :)
The watch looks even better in real than the pic you showed and feels heavy and sturdy compared to the White Pilot. :)
It has a slightly golden dial and the stap is dark brown more like wood color.

One question though. For people who dont have HMT showrooms in their location, if we would like to service the watch or send it for repairs, how do we send it to HMT?

Last edited:
People in Mangalore receive shipments over the weekend but me living in Pune do not.. Talk about better logistics in a metro :|

Thank You @gmano.
Received the watch today. That was some super quick delivery. I paid on friday and got the watch today on monday :)
The watch looks even better in real than the pic you showed and feels heavy and sturdy compared to the White Pilot. :)
It has a slightly golden dial and the stap is dark brown more like wood color.

One question though. For people who dont have HMT showrooms in their location, if we would like to service the watch or send it for repairs, how do we send it to HMT?
You have to take it to HMT showrooms for service or you can do it with a local watch maker too

Pik-cha...!

Here it is

76w9.jpg

Back