Indian Stock Market and Mutual Funds

Hi all. If someone is completely new to investment in general incl. ofc stock market and MF, what source would you recommend to get good hold on the topic? Looking for organized and genuinely good free resources and not the paid ones with somebody advertising to change the fortunes overnight.

Thank you.
I don't read it anymore, but freefincal was pretty good. Value research is also ok for data.

mine is maturing next week and am thinking where to invest it.
its already discontinued after feb this year they havent issued any fresh SGBs .
Same here. Invested in feb for the invested amounts maturing this year. Was planning to put the profit accumulated in June issue. which never happened.

You can invest in goldbees.

Can a college student with no income other than parents' pocket money invest or trade in the stock market if he already has a demat account? And if he starts investing, will he need to file income tax returns?

he has pan card

what I meant to ask was that he has invested about 1L in mutual funds and approx 2L in stocks , so he will have to file itr next year right?

My honest suggestion, ask him to start filing ITR, even if there is no tax. This will help him build his income history and will be very useful in many situations.
There is still a myth that if you are not filing your ITR, Income tax dept will not have any information, however, this is no longer applicable as IT Dept already has all the information, which it supposed to know and now it seek ITR as a confirmation from the users!
It will be in his interest to file the ITR rather than anything else.

My honest suggestion, ask him to start filing ITR, even if there is no tax. This will help him build his income history and will be very useful in many situations.
There is still a myth that if you are not filing your ITR, Income tax dept will not have any information, however, this is no longer applicable as IT Dept already has all the information, which it supposed to know and now it seek ITR as a confirmation from the users!
It will be in his interest to file the ITR rather than anything else.
sure from next year.

market is bearish today, good time to buy anything you were eyeing.

sure from next year.

market is bearish today, good time to buy anything you were eyeing.
Bought Castrol at 266 also eyeing Rail Vikas Nigam if it goes above 595

Regarding ITR, pay 1000rs to any CA locally and file the ITR for this year also file next year as well. This will help in case of loan in future

Last edited:
@anmolbhard004
For that student, login into income tax portal with his id and download his AIS statements. Filing IT returns even without income will be better idea, also AIS statement will give info about what govt. already know about him. There will be other connected info on that portal which he may find interesting.

I don't read it anymore, but freefincal was pretty good. Value research is also ok for data.
@rootyme Reading is useful but if I were you, I would avoid almost all academic books, and read ones written by long term investors who have actually invested successfully over a few decades. Even after you've acquired all necessary knowledge, it is important to be a practitioner to really have a chance at meaningful success. You would need to ideally be in the markets and get exposure to how key players like fund managers, corporates, large investors, traders think and function over different time horizons as economic cycles change. You would also need to understand the true intentions of governments and regulators (not always same as is publicly stated). Ideally you will have to develop your own views on these (regardless of the narrative from the media), which will over time, become intuitive to you, like brushing your teeth.

Most retail individuals cannot go through that grind because they just do not have the time. That is why it is best for most to make their wealth from their real-world profession, not be active investors and look to only protect their wealth through conservative investing (debt /gold could likely be better than equity for that).

Last edited:
Most retail individuals cannot go through that grind because they just do not have the time. That is why it is best for most to make their wealth from their real-world profession, not be active investors and look to only protect their wealth through conservative investing (debt /gold could likely be better than equity for that).
Nothing wrong with equity though, probably best option to beat inflation for most people.

You don't have to look at all of that stuff if not investing directly.
Just put in some diversified equity funds, index funds will do + SIP some from monthly income + hold till retirement and beyond with some allocation plan between equity debt / gold and manage that with age etc.
Don't get too excited in bull markets, don't get too despondent in bear markets. Don't sell equity during crashes, buy some if you can. Don't make sector calls, don't chase the hot stuff. Don't chase small caps, most capital should be towards top 50/100 stock indices.
Have patience, even better don't look at pnl too much and focus on career.

That will likely work.

@anmolbhard004
For that student, login into income tax portal with his id and download his AIS statements. Filing IT returns even without income will be better idea, also AIS statement will give info about what govt. already know about him. There will be other connected info on that portal which he may find interesting.
yes from next year he started investing from may this year.
Careful out there, do your due diligence.
so its coming then :p anyways I am happy with applying for IPOs and mutual funds once it starts to fall will take out all my investments and invest only in dips/ or a long correction thats awaited.
Anyone applying for Ola Electric IPO?

If you are "Investor" please ignore the noises and continue to Invest.
If you are an "trader", please do not believe in news, rest assured, you are the last one to get the news and you need to learn and learn a lot about trading.

Hope you have seen the report by SEBI that 90% people make losses in F&O and 70% makes losses in equity segment.

If you are "Investor" please ignore the noises and continue to Invest.
If you are an "trader", please do not believe in news, rest assured, you are the last one to get the news and you need to learn and learn a lot about trading.

Hope you have seen the report by SEBI that 90% people make losses in F&O and 70% makes losses in equity segment.

only investment that I do not regret.

photo_2024-08-02 16.09.11.jpeg

Problem with excessive F&O restrictions may be that:
which is very unorganized, unaccounted, uncontrollable, existed for decades at-least in western side of India.
Also, have a doubt whether it is externally motivated considering huge amounts involved from FIIs, there may be other hidden truths.

@anmolbhard004
Ola gives some uncomfortable vibe, personally will wait-out and see, will not take part in IPO. Will buy from open market after few days if it's so good.

Back