Iphone 4 S Officially announced

arrow004 said:
Siri is not voice command.Siri is AI. It's takes its roots from a pentagon project not from voice commands that google came up with.Mind you siri is not perfect and that's prolly the reason why apple called it beta!

All the "pentagon project" talk is just hype.

There are two aspects to Siri.

1) Voice recognition and transcribe that into text. - Almost all devices now do this.

2) Natural Language Processing (NLP) on that transcribed text - Not many companies do this (on a commercial scale). There has been a lot of research in this area but very few commercial applications. I would know, our company has been doing this for 10+ years (and me for the last ~5 years of that). When you are trying to understand what the user said/typed, it is easier when your domain is restricted. In the beta phase, the dictionary that Siri uses might be small but they will build it over time.

And considering that Siri requires a Wi-Fi/3G connection for results, they might be pushing all that processing to the cloud. It is not hardware limitation that is stopping Siri from working on the iPhone 4. If Apple do restrict it to the 4S, it will be a purely business decision, and that annoys me a lot.

Punker said:
I don't have an iPhone right now... Thing is I'll get student discount + VAT(around 84 pounds) return from airport (buying from UK) so I'll be getting 4s for around 380 pounds which is a very good deal IMO...

You should take advantage of that deal. iPhone 4S for 380 pounds is totally worth it considering the hardware and excellent camera/multimedia.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

iPhone 4S gets more preorders than iPhone 4. It shows Apple's strength to release something with less changes and still garner more interest from the community.

Link - Apple iPhone 4S mania continues: 1M preorders in first 24 hours - GSMArena.com news

Not that we had any doubt of the iPhone 4S market prospects, given that iOS fans had to wait 16 months for an upgrade, but the latest numbers provided by Apple are simply stunning. It turns out that 1 million pre-orders were placed in the first 24 hours after the 4S page went live in the Apple store.

Needless to say that this is a record for both Apple and the industry as a whole. However what's even more impressive is that the previous record (held by iPhone 4) was bettered by good 400,000.

A good portion of those preorders were placed with AT&T, who confirmed 200,000 preorders in the first 12 hours of offering the device. That number was another record on it own too.

This means that the Apple iPhone 4S is enjoying nearly twice the interest of its predecessor, despite only being an incremental update and the iPhone 4 being a total overhaul of the 3GS. It's all an indication of the ever growing momentum that iOS gains - every next device and every next update is getting the attention of a wider and wider audience.

How about you - are you one of those in the first million or are you waiting for the iPhone 4S to come out and show its true worth before handing out the cash?

iPhone 4S benchmarks and camera sample pop up

iPhone 4S benchmarks and camera sample pop up - GSMArena.com news

The Apple iPhone 4S is yet to start shipping but someone already managed to get their hands on one. And as you can expect a camera sample image and some benchmark scores have been posted online for our viewing pleasure.

We'll start with the browser benchmark. The benchmark being used here is BrowserMark, a popular benchmark that we, at GSMArena, use to test and compare our phones. The iPhone 4 had managed to get a score of 51,701 while running a GM beta version of iOS 5. The popular Galaxy S II, with its dual-core Exynos processor, managed to get a score of 55,144, which was the highest so far for any smartphone.

Now this is where the iPhone 4S comes in. The Safari browser running on iOS 5 and the dual-core A5 processor managed to obliterate the competition with a score of 89,567. No matter which side of the camp you may be, you cannot deny that it is an incredible score.
We also got a Sunspider JS Benchmark score from the iPhone 4S, which probably explains the BrowserMark result to a point. The latest Apple smartphone got the best result of any smartphone to date, while its iPhone 4 predecessor came in second. Safari on iOS5 obviously has the best JavaScript engine by some distance.
Still the processing power advantage of the A5 SoC over its A4 predecessor is there for everyone to see. Using identical browser for the same test, the iPhone 4S is nearly twice as good as its predecessor.

What's even more exciting is the Apple iPhone 4S GPU, which also got benchmarked ahead of the release of the smartphone. Its performance advantage over the GPU used in the iPhone 4 is 7 to 8 times, which is really stunning and matches Apple's claims.

Now moving on to the camera sample, we get a single indoor shot of a one dollar bill. The image looks crisp with good amount of detail and very little noise despite being in less than ideal lighting conditions.
Apple iPhone 4S camera sample

So far so good. We can't wait to get our hands on a retail unit so we can put it through its paces ourselves and see how it compares against its rivals.

Punker said:
I don't have an iPhone right now... Thing is I'll get student discount + VAT(around 84 pounds) return from airport (buying from UK) so I'll be getting 4s for around 380 pounds which is a very good deal IMO...

I presume You are in The UK For Studies , AFAIK There is Some Vat Return Scheme Which Apple Does not Operate , could you enlighten me with the Name of the store you would be buying From ?

Ps - Which Uni ?

Love the way siri says " oh stop" Quite a few nerd guys without a gf are gonna fall in love with siri!! Maybe apple should have marketed these devices differently.

^ yep say my name,say it!

p.s - siri is frickin revolutionary.i am so getting a iPhone 4s.still remember my nokia 6630 voice commands:p.never knew technology would go so forward so fast.

Maps integration with Siri does not work outside of America, meaning users cannot search for businesses, Yelp user reviews or traffic data.

When users attempt to search for Maps data in the U.K., Siri responds with: "I can only look for businesses, maps and traffic in the United States, and when you're using U.S. English. Sorry about that."

Apple's list of frequently asked questions related to Siri notes that Maps and local search with Yelp are currently only available in the U.S. Remaining features, including Phone, Music, Calendar, Contacts, Weather, and Web search are available to international users, though Wolfram|Alpha integration is available in English only.

Siri remains in "beta" at launch, and it understands English from the U.S., U.K. and Australia, as well as French and German. Apple has promised that Siri will support additional languages in 2012, including Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian and Spanish.

Siri functionality limited outside US, but Apple promises updates in 2012

Infected said:
....any news about its Indian launch?

....anyone?

None as yet. Not at least officially. But the year end was what Apple mentioned during the keynote. I am not sure if India was a country on that list though.

Back