iPhone 4 vs. Galaxy SII

Hey guys, I've been an avid iPhone user (3G n currently 3GS) and honestly, I'm bored of iOS now. Want to try something else and only android comes into picture. I've shortlisted iPhone 4 White and Samsung Galaxy SII.

I have 2 worries: Firstly, Samsungs after few months of launch get a huge price drop which results in loss of resale value (atleast iPhone stays at the same stand till the next one is launched).

Secondly, Since, iOS has huuuuge app library, i'm quite spoiled by the small n handy day to day use apps which are very helpful like Indian Trains tracker, live flight tracker, flight track pro, loadz of dictionaries and pedias etc. I don't know if droid has so many apps to match the iOS.

Also, droid phones don't carry that bling factor with em which the iPhones have.

I intend to buy ONLY the macbook pro in coming few months and don't know if droid and lion would sync easily or have any problems?

I really like the Galaxy SII coz its very very powerful but i'm turned off by these 3 factors. Help me reach a conclusion on which one to buy.

P.S - Is it possible to use paid apps as cracked apps on droid like iOS (jailbreaking)

But another question is do you need that power?

Ofcourse if he likes to watch HD movies... HD movies require a lot of processing power to get decoded... H.264 HD movies (in MKV Container) runs as smooth on Galaxy S II as it can on any PC with ofcouse a good graphic card... He wouldn't even have to convert a movie to watch on Galaxy S II as Galaxy S II has support for mkv videos... Now people would say that mkv videos can also be played on iPhone 4 by using VLC player... Well i would say try that... The mkv movies would lag so much that one wont even try to play mkv movies on iPhone next time... iPhone's processor is really not that powerful to decode HD movies... Where as Galaxy S II dual core processor can decode HD movies without breaking a sweet...

Ask yourself what do you want from a phone.

Apps

As far as quality Apps go, regardless what people say, Android has caught up with iOS in this department. There are far many free alternatives for some critical or useful apps on Android than on iOS.

Gaming

This is where iOS currently enjoys healthy lead. The library is huge. But as yourself a question how seriously you would be gaming on a 3.5inch screen. Its very awkward to even game if you have large hand with iPhone 4. But there is no question that in this department iPhone currently is way ahead of android.

Sure, there are new games that are coming to Android, but its not close.

If you are a casual gamer, you are well served on Android platform as well with many great casual games.

Multimedia

There is no competition here. SGS II destroys almost anything out there at the moment. Great big screen and that Mali GPU which can decode even 1080P videos is match made in heaven.

Web Browsing

Again, the SGS II offers unmatched browsing experience even on mobile. Its fast, pages load quickly, even flash heavy pages scroll smoothly. Currently best in market.

Overall, you shouldnt even compare iPhone with SGS II. The first thing you should decide is platform, and then buy the phone. Both phones are currently the best in their platform. iPhone 4 is just too old at the moment to invest 30k+

I have said it couple of years back and I would still stand by my statement. DO NOT BUY IPHONE just for gaming. If gaming concerns you, get iPod touch, you get far better vfm by having dedicated gaming device and peace of mind where you dont have to worry about battery life of your primary communication device. iPhone 4 has great battery life as long as you dont game on it for hours on the move. If you really want to use iOS as gaming platform, stick to iPod touch. Get the best phone available in the market if you have the budget. And for now, its SGS II.

There are better VFM phones out there, but SGS II is ahead of everything else at the moment.

friends, i've almost decided on droid SGSII since the iPhone 5 immediately after launch won't be available at a good price like now. It'd be available nearabout 45k for the basic model and i'll have to wait for around november till I can lay my hands on it.

One thing i'm concerned about in droid is like in iOS, I know there are apps and pre-loaded apps which would download data only on my permission,like the OS updates. How is this in droid?

Also, how is the build quality and screen responsiveness of SGSII coz i've had experiences with i900 OMNIA and that is why my dad hates samsung and advices me to go against samsung. Is the screen like the iPHWNz? where a slight touch makes you feel, this is it.

anu0512 said:
If some have little bit information about phone and technology, so please don't compare iPhone 4 with SG II because iPhone 4 not a competitor of SG II, It was SG I.
Currently both are available in similar prices in India, both are smart-phones, satisfy largely the same needs - mainl phone, web and other apps. Both are current flagship models of their respective series. Comparisons are unavoidable. If iPhone competed with SG I, SG II is out, where is iPhone > 4 ? Until it comes, iPhone 4 will be compared with other phones.

Hades. said:
Ofcourse if he likes to watch HD movies... HD movies require a lot of processing power to get decoded... H.264 HD movies (in MKV Container) runs as smooth on Galaxy S II as it can on any PC with ofcouse a good graphic card... He wouldn't even have to convert a movie to watch on Galaxy S II as Galaxy S II has support for mkv videos... Now people would say that mkv videos can also be played on iPhone 4 by using VLC player... Well i would say try that... The mkv movies would lag so much that one wont even try to play mkv movies on iPhone next time... iPhone's processor is really not that powerful to decode HD movies... Where as Galaxy S II dual core processor can decode HD movies without breaking a sweet...

i personally have never witnessed any lag mate.i do play 720 p vids.no idea about 1080 p however.

@op iOS 5 is gonna arrive this fall,consider that when you make the decision because as for the preview it looks awesome,a big jump from ios4.

galaxy 2 is also a very nice phone,whenever my brother is at home i do play with it a little bit and i like it but the whole android o.s just doesn't give me the feel but thats just down to personal preference because i like the feel of the iPhone.again someone else here said that browsing on the sgs 2 is better,again this is my personal taste that i prefer it on iPhone 4.
i would say check both the platforms and also consider wp7 because its also going to be good.hope you make a good decision.cheers

'anu0512' was right that SGS II should not be compared with Iphone 4. Atleast people who are familiar with technology and phones.

@amitkher: You are also right in your point. For general consumers, who do not know a lot of technology/hardware would go by price and compare. Also for general consumers who uses the phone for the functions you described would compare. But for some of us, who knows about current tech and phones. It is not fair to compare SGS II and Iphone 4. As we know how outdated Iphone 4 is. Sure, for apple's software it is latest model. But looking at tech in general we know that cpu/gpu is inferior than many phones out there. Hope I am not rude, but that is my opinion.

Even I don't see any lag in my iPhone 4 for playing 720p and I never tried 1080p. I am happy with direct play of 600MB avi rips and yes, I don't convert any videos. I just plug my iPhone and copy those downloaded 600MB avi rips directly to iPhone via iTunes. Use Av Player software for that. You can always make it "iTunes free" by using Pwntunes. There are helluva options once you JB it.

I have 16GB iPhone 4, apps are of some 3GB and 4GB songs & media. Rest leaves some 8 GB and how the fck I am gonna copy a full 1080p movie ? See, that's the problem with iPhone 4. No memory card slot !!

Whatever phone you buy, think of memory space and memory card, unless you have enormous space don't think about 1080p movies. With SGS - II you can get space upto 64GB ! But you should also consider time required to copy those 10-12 GB movies to mobile. Hence you have to get higher rated memory cards [class 10]. But ask yourself that you really gonna watch movies ? If yes, then get SGS - 2 eyes closed. If no, still get SGS - 2 eyes closed unless you don't want iOS.

Firstly, decide between iOS or Android. If iOS, wait for next iPhone, even it MAY be costlier at the time of launch, but iPhone 4 prices will be reduced significantly. I am saying "may" because Apple may launch next iPhone in more countries. That's just my speculation. If you love iOS, then no matter how powerful your Android device would be, you may feel why you have bought something against what you liked. But, if you chose Android as platform, then SGS - II. But remember, with SGS - 2 you will get FAR superior camera. Rest about other hardware I don't really care.

My vote goes to SGS - 2 till iPhone 4G/S/whatever comes out :) Hope this helps you decide :bye22:

Shripad said:
I have said it couple of years back and I would still stand by my statement. DO NOT BUY IPHONE just for gaming. If gaming concerns you, get iPod touch, you get far better vfm by having dedicated gaming device and peace of mind where you dont have to worry about battery life of your primary communication device. iPhone 4 has great battery life as long as you dont game on it for hours on the move. If you really want to use iOS as gaming platform, stick to iPod touch. Get the best phone available in the market if you have the budget. And for now, its SGS II.

Well said. But from my perspective, carrying two separate devices, one for gaming and one for communication, is a big hassle. However if you play games at home only, iPod touch is the way to go.

P.S. My mother plays a lot of games on iPod touch :D. She isn't that tech-savvy but iPod touch gaming has grown on her. She finds it far more comfortable than, say, sitting in front of a computer screen.

The SGS2 is a multimedia powerhouse, no doubt, with a dual core processor and what not. Where I feel it lacks is in the audio quality department. It's not really bad, but its not even close to iPhone 4. Heck, its not even close to the Galaxy S. Again, audio quality is a subjective matter but if you are a person who likes his music, then maybe you'd want to audition the SGS2 for its audio quality before buying it.

If however, audio quality is not a factor at all, then on sheer hardware specs (including that gorgeous screen) the SGS2 kicks the iPhone 4s a** out of the park. :)

We all know that the S2 has better specs. However, performance wise, you can see they're very close.it all comes down to a preference of iOS and android in my opinion.

one thing about the galaxy is the display.its dead on gorgeous.gives you a awesome feel of it.

aradhakr84 said:
'anu0512' was right that SGS II should not be compared with Iphone 4. Atleast people who are familiar with technology and phones.

@amitkher: You are also right in your point. For general consumers, who do not know a lot of technology/hardware would go by price and compare. Also for general consumers who uses the phone for the functions you described would compare. But for some of us, who knows about current tech and phones. It is not fair to compare SGS II and Iphone 4. As we know how outdated Iphone 4 is. Sure, for apple's software it is latest model. But looking at tech in general we know that cpu/gpu is inferior than many phones out there. Hope I am not rude, but that is my opinion.
You post 5 sentences about why they should not be compared. Then say "cpu/gpu is inferior than many phones out there", which is a comparison. This proves my point - that you cannot not compare.

sumatrix said:
I would second your opinion cos i own one . The SGS2 is an awesome phone ine every dept except the audio. wish they had bought it atleast to the Nokia N97's level

yup, the speaker are placed at bottom(thickest area) and the output is low cause to reduce and maintain the slim factor.

remember dude, dont even in dream compare the iphone 4 with sgs2, the only comparator released against iphone4 by samsung is galaxy s.

And for SGS2, a newborn iphone4s will speak...

Untill then, have a sound sleep

I'm not gonna watch movies on a phone coz i dont have time for such things, not gonna play games except 1-2 like angry birds etc., i'm only gonna use push mail, browse law websites web pages and use some serious apps like flight track, scheduler, docs app, fitness app, law dictionaries n pediaz and some NEWS app which sends me push notifications.

Saw the phone in flesh today. Build quality wise, Doesn't comes near the iPhwn 4.

I don't give a damn about super amoled, dnt care bout dual core processor, dnt give a fuzz to droid now coz something which when held in my palm feels like a flimsy cheap plastic cutout from a thick moulding, i'm not paying 29.5k for stupid chayia chayia type build quality phone.

Undoubtedly, its more VFM but the heavy weightiness and sturdiness of the iPhone assures you of the quality of materials used. After seeing the SGSII, i had a lot of expectations from it which were shattered as soon as it came into my palms.

No offence to droid users but droid is for kids not professionals.

spawnfreak said:
I'm not gonna watch movies on a phone coz i dont have time for such things, not gonna play games except 1-2 like angry birds etc., i'm only gonna use push mail, browse law websites web pages and use some serious apps like flight track, scheduler, docs app, fitness app, law dictionaries n pediaz and some NEWS app which sends me push notifications.

Saw the phone in flesh today. Build quality wise, Doesn't comes near the iPhwn 4.

I don't give a damn about super amoled, dnt care bout dual core processor, dnt give a fuzz to droid now coz something which when held in my palm feels like a flimsy cheap plastic cutout from a thick moulding, i'm not paying 29.5k for stupid chayia chayia type build quality phone.

Undoubtedly, its more VFM but the heavy weightiness and sturdiness of the iPhone assures you of the quality of materials used. After seeing the SGSII, i had a lot of expectations from it which were shattered as soon as it came into my palms.

No offence to droid users but droid is for kids not professionals.
To be frank, any 15k range phone can do all you want from a phone. Even cheaper 3gs or motorola defy is enough for that.

And stop acting like an immature by making such statements, and calling all android phones droid.

That superbly built iPhone 4 will shatter if its dropped on floor at wrong angle. And not only screen, but even back will and does shatter.

Noone is stopping you from buying iPhone. With all its flaws, it is still one of the best phones out there. But there is no need to be make derogatory statements at users of other platform.

Want to see sturdy phone? Go have a look at defy. And there are plenty of "droid" alternatives including one I am posting this from.

"No offense"

Sent magically from thin air using Motorola Atrix.

Even I don't see any lag in my iPhone 4 for playing 720p and I never tried 1080p

i personally have never witnessed any lag mate.i do play 720 p vids.

I dont think the 720p videos that you guys must have played were in mkv format... You really can't just put a 720p downloaded mkv movie and play on the iPhone... Yes i know that 720p videos can be played on iPhone/iPod Touch 4G but for that you need to convert the movies into mp4 format and the bitrate must not be any higher than the iPhone processor can support... And while converting the videos the H.264 Profile must not be any higher than 3.1... If you would select 4.1 level and if you would put the 4.1 level converted movie then the videos would just lag... Most *ahem* encoder guys encode movies using High @ 4.1 Level profile which requires a lot of processing power and iPhone can max support a video converted using Main profile @ 3.1 level... While SGSII supports mkv container and can play videos converted using High @ 4.1 Level Setting...

Undoubtedly, its more VFM but the heavy weightiness and sturdiness of the iPhone assures you of the quality of materials used.

You look like a fan boy to me... I have iPod Touch 4G and TBH i handle it so carefully that i dont think any one in the world would handle it more carefully than me... :p But even after using it so carefully i dont know from where the dead pixels have appeared on the screen... I have never dropped my iPod Touch 4G and FYI i have seen dead pixels on every iPhone 4 that i have seen till date... Just recently my friend bought iPhone 4 and some few days back he had given it to me to jailbreak it... After jailbreaking it and while i was fiddling around with his iPhone settings i saw some dead pixels... You dont need any trained eyes or something to check dead pixels on iPhone's screen... Just open a black image and the dead pixels would shine like stars... Yes even the new iPhone had dead pixels so it just proves your statement wrong that iPhone 4 has better build quality and steve jobs used any top class quality components... And FYI LG produces Retina Display for iPhone 4...

How is iphone 4 more blingy then sgs 2? Does it have some sort of photo radiant paint scheme that emits multi coloured rays in the disco? Just j/k. Go for sgs 2. It's the best phone samsung has made in a long long time. If you want a good comparison with ip4 then compare it with original sgs. The 2nd edition is in different league all together.

Shripad said:
To be frank, any 15k range phone can do all you want from a phone. Even cheaper 3gs or motorola defy is enough for that.

And stop acting like an immature by making such statements, and calling all android phones droid. It only makes you look like a d!ckh3@d.

and you look like a fcuktard calling others d!ckh3@d and you're just another spoilt fanboy. FYI (fcuk you instead) I already have had 3GS for 2 years you jerk.

Shripad said:
That superbly built iPhone 4 will shatter if its dropped on floor at wrong angle. And not only screen, but even back will and does shatter. Noone is stopping you from buying iPhone. With all its flaws, it is still one of the best phones out there. But there is no need to be make derogatory statements at users of other platform.

Want to see sturdy phone? Go have a look at defy. And there are plenty of "droid" alternatives including one I am posting this from.

Who cares what happens later till I enjoy the phone, jerk, period Have had enough of Samsung with their so called iphone killer i900 omnia having pathetic build quality where chrome starts peeling off and lighter weight only proves the cheapness of materials used. if you see from a professional's POV (which you cant since you're a fcuktard), we dont have time to waste on stupid stuff since there are other important things in life. Droid can never ever come close to the app library of iOS. I did check out some apps from droid market, but they're no match to the huge list of dictionaries, thesaurus and pediaz and thats what i'm concerned with not games and keyboard styles availbale in droid market
Hades. said:
You look like a fan boy to me... I have iPod Touch 4G and TBH i handle it so carefully that i dont think any one in the world would handle it more carefully than me... :p But even after using it so carefully i dont know from where the dead pixels have appeared on the screen... I have never dropped my iPod Touch 4G and FYI i have seen dead pixels on every iPhone 4 that i have seen till date... Just recently my friend bought iPhone 4 and some few days back he had given it to me to jailbreak it... After jailbreaking it and while i was fiddling around with his iPhone settings i saw some dead pixels... You dont need any trained eyes or something to check dead pixels on iPhone's screen... Just open a black image and the dead pixels would shine like stars... Yes even the new iPhone had dead pixels so it just proves your statement wrong that iPhone 4 has better build quality and steve jobs used any top class quality components... And FYI LG produces Retina Display for iPhone 4...

I'm not a fanboy but a person who respects quality. If Samsung gives me same quality as iPhone, i would go for it eyes closed.

I was almost decided on the SGSII but just one look at the dummy, and i know this is just another stupid samsung cheapo korean phone. (I haven't had any good experiences with samsung omnia, its motherboard fried and service centre people took 2 months importing it. later, to my horror, the 8GB storage had been removed from it while servicing and no1 was ready to accept! chome started peeling off, the touch screen (which samsung provides to apple and couldnt install in their own flagship device) went down twice. Samsung is just like hyundai, korean, unreliable and cheap huh

Back