iPhone 4 vs. Galaxy SII

Hey guys, I've been an avid iPhone user (3G n currently 3GS) and honestly, I'm bored of iOS now. Want to try something else and only android comes into picture. I've shortlisted iPhone 4 White and Samsung Galaxy SII.

I have 2 worries: Firstly, Samsungs after few months of launch get a huge price drop which results in loss of resale value (atleast iPhone stays at the same stand till the next one is launched).

Secondly, Since, iOS has huuuuge app library, i'm quite spoiled by the small n handy day to day use apps which are very helpful like Indian Trains tracker, live flight tracker, flight track pro, loadz of dictionaries and pedias etc. I don't know if droid has so many apps to match the iOS.

Also, droid phones don't carry that bling factor with em which the iPhones have.

I intend to buy ONLY the macbook pro in coming few months and don't know if droid and lion would sync easily or have any problems?

I really like the Galaxy SII coz its very very powerful but i'm turned off by these 3 factors. Help me reach a conclusion on which one to buy.

P.S - Is it possible to use paid apps as cracked apps on droid like iOS (jailbreaking)

Hades. said:
How? I am asking this coz i want to RMA my iPod Touch 4G

Won't happen without moving out of your house in India.. haha..

Just go the nearest iStore and tell them the reason and blah blah. they'll give you a receipt and a few days later, a spanking sparkling new iPod Touch will be there for you to pickup! taddaaa!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hades. said:
Do they give new iPod as a replacement or refurbished one?

iPods are always new but iPhones are refurbished

Let is be ipod's or iPhone they all are refurbished and not new at any cost .It's the same world wide.I have confirmed this from different folks working for Apple.

This is the reason why i am a bit skeptical about RMA'ing my iPod Touch 4G coz what if i give them my iPod Touch 4G which is in good condition and get a refurbished iPod Touch 4G which is in a whole lot bad condition?

spawnfreak said:
Same thing applies for me here... I dont care what all gadgetry Samsung has, I care about the brand. Despite the fact that Apple is low on hardware than rivals but it still sells, rather outsells the SGSII in India atleast. Simple as that.
I guess iPhone is the right choice for you and it seems to be a great phone, but just for the sake of discussion, take this argument of yours :

Either you consider Samsung to be a brand, or Samsung Galaxy SII to be a brand. In the former case, Samsung by far outsells Apple. So if outselling is a positive as you indicate, Samsung wins.

If you consider Samsung Galaxy SII to be a brand, the fact that Apple iPhones outsell Samsung SII gives SII the higher snob value because of its exclusivity. In other words, everyone (that matters) has an iPhone hence shouldn't a Galaxy SII give a higher snob value? E.g. Alto outsells Grand Vitara, hence Grand Vitara has higher snob value.

But that is thinking logically, and snobbery is more of an emotional reaction, so there may not be a connection with logic

Good luck

Hades. said:
This is the reason why i am a bit skeptical about RMA'ing my iPod Touch 4G coz what if i give them my iPod Touch 4G which is in good condition and get a refurbished iPod Touch 4G which is in a whole lot bad condition?

I guess you have never RMAed a Apple product till date .Read for yourself what is meant by refurbished

Apple Certified Refurbished Products.

I have 4 Apple refurbished products till date and never had an issue.

spawnfreak said:
The situation is like a 25 lakh rupee car.
Would you buy a BMW Sedan or a Skoda Superb?

I'd go for a better brand coz of the premium associated with a BMW. To hell with features and gadgets I would rarely use once in a blue moon.
I dont care if it is filled with features upto the brim, All I care is what people would say on seeing the Car... He's got a Bimmer!

Same thing applies for me here... I dont care what all gadgetry Samsung has, I care about the brand. Despite the fact that Apple is low on hardware than rivals but it still sells, rather outsells the SGSII in India atleast. Simple as that.
You said everything yourself :p.

I think processing power is a term to be dismissed. You will never, ever use the SGS2's processing power to the fullest. So what if you play 1080p music videos on SGS2 smoothly? The truth is the most you'll ever use a smartphone for are social apps like Facebook, email and mini-games like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope,etc. . And why do you need processing power for that? The iPhone excels in that department.

Moreover, the beauty of Apple products is unquestionable. It is simply beyond comparison to any other brand. And since you care about the bling factor so much, iPhone 4 is the perfect choice for you.

kvikram said:
I think processing power is a term to be dismissed. You will never, ever use the SGS2's processing power to the fullest. So what if you play 1080p music videos on SGS2 smoothly? The truth is the most you'll ever use a smartphone for are social apps like Facebook, email and mini-games like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope,etc. .

Don't generalize things, if you don't play videos that doesn't everyone doesn't :)

gsmarena's review should clear some of your doubts, hit youtube, besides G2 is good phone, hope samsung tech has worked on app handling & crash issues :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

simforgotten said:
^

So should we change the thread title now to "SGS II Vs Iphone 4 - bling factor only matters" ??

:p

lol...........

big.bad.boi said:
gsmarena's review should clear some of your doubts, hit youtube, besides G2 is good phone, hope samsung tech has worked on app handling & crash issues :(

Well SGS-2 users can clarify about it. But, unless they are not fandroids :-/

Hades. said:
Ofcourse if he likes to watch HD movies... HD movies require a lot of processing power to get decoded... H.264 HD movies (in MKV Container) runs as smooth on Galaxy S II as it can on any PC with ofcouse a good graphic card... He wouldn't even have to convert a movie to watch on Galaxy S II as Galaxy S II has support for mkv videos... Now people would say that mkv videos can also be played on iPhone 4 by using VLC player... Well i would say try that... The mkv movies would lag so much that one wont even try to play mkv movies on iPhone next time... iPhone's processor is really not that powerful to decode HD movies... Where as Galaxy S II dual core processor can decode HD movies without breaking a sweet...

Well who cares abt the processor ;)
Even though the company sells old model 3GS at 20k, ppl run to buy it. Don't know why we even care for such a brand which doesn't care abt us :S

Now they have come to sell IS4, ooh i mean IP4 when they are launching IS5,oops IP5 ;) Atleast they can get rid off their old IS4 which won't sell any more in US. Good strategy crapple :thumb:

BTW, crapple uses Samsung hardware to bring some kind of stability to its phone.

spawnfreak said:
The situation is like a 25 lakh rupee car.
Would you buy a BMW Sedan or a Skoda Superb?

I'd go for a better brand coz of the premium associated with a BMW. To hell with features and gadgets I would rarely use once in a blue moon.
I dont care if it is filled with features upto the brim, All I care is what people would say on seeing the Car... He's got a Bimmer!

Lolzzzz again :) .... If people care for bling then money doesnt matter and if people want VFM then GS2 it is :) ... If bling was the only thing then Skoda would have been renamed BMW by now :) ....

Apple and that too in India :) :) having an outdated thrown out and dumped here is Bling :) ....

No offense intended dude...the whole point of the portal is to help the @op make their choice...suggested you to go for an an iphone cos you are more into bling and dont need a power packed phone for your needs.

Metalspree said:
I guess you have never RMAed a Apple product till date .Read for yourself what is meant by refurbished

Apple Certified Refurbished Products.

I have 4 Apple refurbished products till date and never had an issue.

I read it... :)

The risk that your unit may present minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks, discolouration, etc.

I am pretty sure that the iPod Touch 4G that i would give them for RMA i wont get that again instead i would get someone else's iPod Touch 4G who must have given it for RMA before me... And the sentence that i have quaoted has scared shit out of me... Its written that one should expect a refurbished replacement with some scratches and minor cosmetic changes and stuff... :(

I just have one point, its the quality of apps that creates this insane urge for people to shell out close to 35K for an iPhone and its pretty much justified.

One look at the android market and I'm sometimes appalled at the poor quality of games and apps, that almost never happens for iOS apps.

I shifted from my HTC Legend to the iPhone 4 and the experience is good (not amazing mind you because I still miss the niftyness of all the widgets of android)

But the bottom line is that for an average user, the iPhone is a great choice, it will definitely not be a mistake buying it.

ohh, one of the 'convince me reaffirm my faith' threads..

You guys need to discuss either iOS Vs Android OR iP4 Vs SGS2... otherwise you will just beat around in an endless loop.

If your point of buying iPhone is iOS then save money and go for 3GS. (because it is the cheapest iP that can support the latest)

If your point of buying iPhone is not iOS then compare hardware superiority where SGS2 wins hands down.

But there is no point using iOS feature as a counter-argument to HW superiority on a certain device on other Platform.

Back