iPhone 4 vs. Galaxy SII

Hey guys, I've been an avid iPhone user (3G n currently 3GS) and honestly, I'm bored of iOS now. Want to try something else and only android comes into picture. I've shortlisted iPhone 4 White and Samsung Galaxy SII.

I have 2 worries: Firstly, Samsungs after few months of launch get a huge price drop which results in loss of resale value (atleast iPhone stays at the same stand till the next one is launched).

Secondly, Since, iOS has huuuuge app library, i'm quite spoiled by the small n handy day to day use apps which are very helpful like Indian Trains tracker, live flight tracker, flight track pro, loadz of dictionaries and pedias etc. I don't know if droid has so many apps to match the iOS.

Also, droid phones don't carry that bling factor with em which the iPhones have.

I intend to buy ONLY the macbook pro in coming few months and don't know if droid and lion would sync easily or have any problems?

I really like the Galaxy SII coz its very very powerful but i'm turned off by these 3 factors. Help me reach a conclusion on which one to buy.

P.S - Is it possible to use paid apps as cracked apps on droid like iOS (jailbreaking)

Android OS itself doesn't download anything without your permission. And as for the apps, it depends on the app and its settings.
spawnfreak said:
One thing i'm concerned about in droid is like in iOS, I know there are apps and pre-loaded apps which would download data only on my permission,like the OS updates. How is this in droid?

You took a look at SGS II dummy?
spawnfreak said:
I was almost decided on the SGSII but just one look at the dummy, and i know this is just another stupid samsung cheapo korean phone.

We do accept that you have a good memory, but comparing your iphone with that of your old memories won't do any good. Compare it with current sammy mobile (not dummy) and do tell us your opinion.
spawnfreak said:
(I haven't had any good experiences with samsung omnia, its motherboard fried and service centre people took 2 months importing it. later, to my horror, the 8GB storage had been removed from it while servicing and no1 was ready to accept! chome started peeling off, the touch screen (which samsung provides to apple and couldnt install in their own flagship device) went down twice. Samsung is just like hyundai, korean, unreliable and cheap huh
BTW, I was about to reply with the statement "wait for iOS5", when I first saw this thread. But then, you mentioned about its higher price 45k and longer wait time.

So, my recommendation for you would be HTC Sensation (28K)/ Optimus 2X (24K)/ Motorola Atrix (~20K, some of them have bought at this price om TE). [All droids only, but there isn't another iOS device other than ip4.]

I dont think the 720p videos that you guys must have played were in mkv format... You really can't just put a 720p downloaded mkv movie and play on the iPhone... Yes i know that 720p videos can be played on iPhone/iPod Touch 4G but for that you need to convert the movies into mp4 format and the bitrate must not be any higher than the iPhone processor can support... And while converting the videos the H.264 Profile must not be any higher than 3.1... If you would select 4.1 level and if you would put the 4.1 level converted movie then the videos would just lag... Most *ahem* encoder guys encode movies using High @ 4.1 Level profile which requires a lot of processing power and iPhone can max support a video converted using Main profile @ 3.1 level... While SGSII supports mkv container and can play videos converted using High @ 4.1 Level Setting...
nope.i do not convert anything.i just transfer mkv rips to vlc player and there are at least 8 more apps which do the same thing mate.even when i stream mkv on my iPhone from the mbp it still does not stutter one bit.mkv play on the iPhone 4 is as good as anything.the movies on the retina display look awesome.
i have seen the same movies play on sgs2 as well but i cannot really rate one above the other since i found a similar experience in both.

You look like a fan boy to me... I have iPod Touch 4G and TBH i handle it so carefully that i dont think any one in the world would handle it more carefully than me... But even after using it so carefully i dont know from where the dead pixels have appeared on the screen... I have never dropped my iPod Touch 4G and FYI i have seen dead pixels on every iPhone 4 that i have seen till date... Just recently my friend bought iPhone 4 and some few days back he had given it to me to jailbreak it... After jailbreaking it and while i was fiddling around with his iPhone settings i saw some dead pixels... You dont need any trained eyes or something to check dead pixels on iPhone's screen... Just open a black image and the dead pixels would shine like stars... Yes even the new iPhone had dead pixels so it just proves your statement wrong that iPhone 4 has better build quality and steve jobs used any top class quality components... And FYI LG produces Retina Display for iPhone 4...

this is rather new to my info and if its true than i fear because i have bought my iPhone 4 from grey:p.but yeah this is certainly a new info because most of my friends have a iPhone 4 and not one of them have faced this problem.one guy who owns a 3gs however has 2 dead pixels after 2 years of usage but i haven't seen it yet personally on the iPhone 4.
iphone 4 in terms of hardware and build quality definitely pips the sgs2 but not at the point of exaggeration the op is making out.sgs2 does use plastic but its not as cheap as it is made out.
@ op mate looking by your replies and your preferences i would say

1 - get the iPhone 4 because its awesome.i am not someone who upgrades and i can easily use tis phone for 2 more years.

2 - get some patience and wait for the iPhone 5

if android than

1 - sg 2 because its awesome and can easily give you longevity.bigger display which adds for a superb browsing experience on the go.

choose well and prospa:cool2:

nope.i do not convert anything.i just transfer mkv rips to vlc player and there are at least 8 more apps which do the same thing mate.even when i stream mkv on my iPhone from the mbp it still does not stutter one bit.mkv play on the iPhone 4 is as good as anything.the movies on the retina display look awesome.

I dont believe you... last time when i had tried playing SD music video (in mkv container)on my iPod Touch 4G it was lagging so much that i dont believe it would even be able to handle 720p mkv videos...

this is rather new to my info and if its true than i fear because i have bought my iPhone 4 from grey.but yeah this is certainly a new info because most of my friends have a iPhone 4 and not one of them have faced this problem.one guy who owns a 3gs however has 2 dead pixels after 2 years of usage but i haven't seen it yet personally on the iPhone 4.

iphone 4 in terms of hardware and build quality definitely pips the sgs2 but not at the point of exaggeration the op is making out.sgs2 does use plastic but its not as cheap as it is made out.

Its not any kinda new issue... You can google about this issue and you would find hundreds of links and threads... its a pretty common issue... There must be some dead pixels on your iPhone too... Just open a black image and watch the screen carefully... You would find some... And i am really not over exaggerating... It is a pretty common issue and i am in no way giving any misleading info...

For starters checkout this link : dead pixels on iPhone 4 - Google Search

I dont believe you... last time when i had tried playing SD music video (in mkv container)on my iPod Touch 4G it was lagging so much that i dont believe it would even be able to handle 720p mkv videos...

believe as you wish but i do play mkv rips on my iPhone 4 and so far it has given me smooth playback.perhaps you should check regarding your iPod touch.one of my friend's watched the whole spartacus series on his iPhone 4 like that.you should also try it with other apps if vlc is giving you a problem

Its not any kinda new issue... You can google about this issue and you would find hundreds of links and threads... its a pretty common issue... There must be some dead pixels on your iPhone too... Just open a black image and watch the screen carefully... You would find some... And i am really not over exaggerating... It is a pretty common issue and i am in no way giving any misleading info...

For starters checkout this link : dead pixels on iPhone 4 - Google Search

[/QUOTE]

i just never knew that this problem is recurring in iPhone 4 until you told me and i checked my phone and it doesn't have any dead pixels atm.yes i do knw iPhone has deadpixels but i always believed that they came after prolonged use.[was the case with my iPhone 3g] and also my friend's 3gs.

Either Steve jobs sends presents to the op or his eyes are gone,you decide.how the hell iPhone 4 has more bling value than SGS2?and op when you said that sgs2 doesn't feel that sturdy cause it's not that heavy and appears very soft,it's because it is supposed to be the slimmest phone in the world!i mean you really want a fat ass instead of the slick sgs2?then something's really wrong with you! sgs2 is so much better that you really can't draw a comparison,and FYI the new Nokia E6 sports a pixel density of 328 ppi ,2 more than the retina display's 326 ppi,so the barrier has already been broken.

spawnfreak said:
Saw the phone in flesh today. Build quality wise, Doesn't comes near the iPhwn 4.

IMO android platform gets limited because of the device quality itself.

I could not afford an iphone(not available in our bharat) a year back ended up buying a XT720 the other option was a galaxy S ,I chose the former purely because of the build. By far, spec-wise the galaxy S was superior,barring only flash, Still its build Quality was cheap and plasticy and that disuaded me.

A year later Ive purchased an Iphone again over Galaxy S2, Spec-wise Galaxy S2 Ra**s the Iphone 4, But when you compare the build quality, still feel samsung just did not live up to a 30k phone.

I love android .... It is awesome !!!! ... seemless integration with your google ID awesome and amazing to be honest .... super professional i mean if you use quick office or even the default google mail application you would realize this fact that "working on the go" is pretty easy,

I am NOT a fan boy but apple's customer support adds to a very positive user experience and at 25k plus i think it is a major factor.

Hades. said:
I dont think the 720p videos that you guys must have played were in mkv format... You really can't just put a 720p downloaded mkv movie and play on the iPhone... Yes i know that 720p videos can be played on iPhone/iPod Touch 4G but for that you need to convert the movies into mp4 format and the bitrate must not be any higher than the iPhone processor can support... And while converting the videos the H.264 Profile must not be any higher than 3.1... If you would select 4.1 level and if you would put the 4.1 level converted movie then the videos would just lag... Most *ahem* encoder guys encode movies using High @ 4.1 Level profile which requires a lot of processing power and iPhone can max support a video converted using Main profile @ 3.1 level... While SGSII supports mkv container and can play videos converted using High @ 4.1 Level Setting...

IP4 can perfectly play 720p mkv rips without any conversion.Oplayer can handle almost everything(no hardware acceleration though)

Only problem is,the battery takes a huge hit with these third party players.Same thing happens with ipad also.

BTW,vlc is probably the the worst third party player for ip4.

if you want apps and are willing to pay for it then go for the apple iphone 4g else get the sgs2. If u wish to change your phone frequently then get the iphone. else sgs2. Everybody knows apple apps are better but in some time iphone 5 will come with better specs so the requirements of the apps will also increase and may be your phone will not support. But sgs2 can be a high end phone for atleast two years. If i were you i would buy the sgs2 or wait for the iphone5

red dragon said:
IP4 can perfectly play 720p mkv rips without any conversion.Oplayer can handle almost everything(no hardware acceleration though)
Only problem is,the battery takes a huge hit with these third party players.Same thing happens with ipad also.
BTW,vlc is probably the the worst third party player for ip4.

I just tried playing Just Go With It 720p movie some few minutes back using AVplayer and the movie was stuttering a lot... It was unwatchable... And even the SD mkv videos were not playing very smoothly... If i were OP i definately would have bought SGS2

Lolz....how many more such threads can you have on the silly topic :) ....

@Op - After reading everything .... Go for the Iphone 4... if you have the moolah and dont mind paying an extra premium for the same services...or are still stuck on the hassles which one faced a couple of years ago with after sales service and software support...

SGS2 will never appeal to you... Yes I agree...Iphone has more bling but is it really worth all the extra moolah ....
Samsung generally has better hardware in the same money when compared to other brands..

Hades. said:
I just tried playing Just Go With It 720p movie some few minutes back using AVplayer and the movie was stuttering a lot... It was unwatchable... And even the SD mkv videos were not playing very smoothly... If i were OP i definately would have bought SGS2

720P H@L4.1 will have problems. It has seek issues and playback issues regardless the software used and also if file is high bitrate file.

Most people here will be trying to play the scene releases which are High@L3.1 encodes which are not encoded at HP 4.1 level and with bitrate higher than than 3000-3500kbps.

This is why you will see most people not experiencing issues with 720P playback.

Not to mention audio video sync and av resume issues when you seek the video.

Shripad said:
720P H@L4.1 will have problems. It has seek issues and playback issues regardless the software used and also if file is high bitrate file.
Most people here will be trying to play the scene releases which are High@L3.1 encodes which are not encoded at HP 4.1 level and with bitrate higher than than 3000-3500kbps.
This is why you will see most people not experiencing issues with 720P playback.
Not to mention audio video sync and av resume issues when you seek the video.
True... I dont know how vantheman is able to play untouched HD movies when iPhone processer really can't support videos converted using high @ 4.1 level profile... He must be really playing Main @ 3.1 movies...

BTW shripad you have SGS II right? Have you tried playing any HD movie on it... Does SGS II really have the potential to handle HD / FHD movies...

Hades. said:
True... I dont know how vantheman is able to play untouched HD movies when iPhone processer really can't support videos converted using high @ 4.1 level profile... He must be really playing Main @ 3.1 movies...

BTW shripad you have SGS II right? Have you tried playing any HD movie on it... Does SGS II really have the potential to handle HD / FHD movies...

No,

I got rid of my SGS2 a while back. Wanted to try something different so currently have Atrix, G2x and Focus.

But yes, SGS2 can handle 720P H@L4.1. No seek issues.

It can even play 1080P H@L3.1 in MKV container.

If you want to play those insane high bitrate High profile videos like planet earth or HQ BRRips, then you can achieve that by just changing the container. It does not need complete transcoding, but just changing container to MP4 which takes very little time you can play 1080P 20+mbps high profile videos with hardware acceleration. On SGS2. Dont know any other mobile phone device that can handle this at the moment. Atrix and G2x cant handle it.

abhi24_in said:
Lolz....how many more such threads can you have on the silly topic :) ....

@Op - After reading everything .... Go for the Iphone 4... if you have the moolah and dont mind paying an extra premium for the same services...or are still stuck on the hassles which one faced a couple of years ago with after sales service and software support...

SGS2 will never appeal to you... Yes I agree...Iphone has more bling but is it really worth all the extra moolah ....

Samsung generally has better hardware in the same money when compared to other brands..

The situation is like a 25 lakh rupee car.

Would you buy a BMW Sedan or a Skoda Superb?

I'd go for a better brand coz of the premium associated with a BMW. To hell with features and gadgets I would rarely use once in a blue moon.

I dont care if it is filled with features upto the brim, All I care is what people would say on seeing the Car... He's got a Bimmer!

Same thing applies for me here... I dont care what all gadgetry Samsung has, I care about the brand. Despite the fact that Apple is low on hardware than rivals but it still sells, rather outsells the SGSII in India atleast. Simple as that.

spawnfreak said:
The situation is like a 25 lakh rupee car.

Would you buy a BMW Sedan or a Skoda Superb?

I'd go for a better brand coz of the premium associated with a BMW. To hell with features and gadgets I would rarely use once in a blue moon.

I dont care if it is filled with features upto the brim, All I care is what people would say on seeing the Car... He's got a Bimmer!

Same thing applies for me here... I dont care what all gadgetry Samsung has, I care about the brand. Despite the fact that Apple is low on hardware than rivals but it still sells, rather outsells the SGSII in India atleast. Simple as that.

I kinda of agree with you for the simple reason being that Apple customer support just rocks i got my i4 replaced without moving out of the house and was given an backup phone as well .Turn around time for replacement was less than 24 hours but still was given a backup phone.

and yeah i have a Bimmer :p.

Back