Iphone dreams shattered? Now what?

^^ Actually I wouldnt be suprised if the prices are set by apple themselves rather than vodafone and airtel. Apple does have an extravagant history of playing "Mr. Exclusive" for a long time.

To buy the iPhone outright in Australia, Optus want $749/849 for the 8/16GB.

In Belgium, the iPhone costs 525/625eur for the 8/16gb model.

In the Philippines it's :
8 GB P37,599 = $854
16 GB P43,799 = $995

In Norway the iPhone will cost you up to $900 if you break the contract with the provider - Netcom.

Its costing the same everywhere when its not subsidized. So stop feeling that we're being ripped off. Also, people in these countries pay much more for their calls.

Lord Nemesis said:
Yeah, I am also drooling over Samsung Omnia. I just hope they have some sensible pricing for the phone. HTC Touch Pro is slightly better than the HTC Diamond, but at the root its still the same phone and has the same limitations and problems. As for N96/N82 or whatever, I do not place it in the same league as Omnia or HTC Touch Diamond/Pro. They are designed to serve a different consumer base.

According to dna source omnia launching price in September is 40k so that also out of range

magnet said:
According to dna source omnia launching price in September is 40k so that also out of range

Spending money is not the problem for me, I can spend 30~35k on a phone if I have to (though I woundnt like to). But I would not spend that much on something like an iPhone

Still 40k is too high even for the Omnia. 30~32k would have been ideal. For a phone like Sony XPeria X1, I would be ready to spend 35~40k.

I have also considered Nokia E90, but I dont want to buy a phone thats heavier than my SE P910i and secondly its based on Symbian. I would rather like to try Windows Mobile this time around.

I wouldn't spend that much cash on a phone unless it does my cooking, washing clothes, cleaning utensils and cleans my house :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

This whole thing is a rip off, in other countries where you pay full prices ie for instance the prices provided by vb86 above you DON'T get a locked device for that price, its unlocked. Here you pay the huge premium and full retail price plus you get a locked device! Now how can this blatant rip off which makes a mockery of the 'subsidy hence lock' model make sense?

Lord Nemesis said:
Spending money is not the problem for me, I can spend 30~35k on a phone if I have to (though I woundnt like to). But I would not spend that much on something like an iPhone

Still 40k is too high even for the Omnia. 30~32k would have been ideal. For a phone like Sony XPeria X1, I would be ready to spend 35~40k.

I have also considered Nokia E90, but I dont want to buy a phone thats heavier than my SE P910i and secondly its based on Symbian. I would rather like to try Windows Mobile this time around.

get the e71. u wont regret it. its simply amazing.

well i was expecting it to be around 21K to 25K ... even thats streatching a bit.. but 31-36K.. holy sh*t .. thats retarded... i guess ill have to hold on to my htc touch for a lil longer.. no complaints with this phone.. only its a lil slow sometimes...

Look at today's Times of India poll,

Q: Will you buy iPhone at Rs.31,000?

YES: 7%

NO: 90%

Can't Say: 3%

Now hope Airtel or Vodafone people read news paper and make some changes.

Also Vodafone is offering iPhone in 12 EMI so that pretty decent i guess.

shashank_re said:
Look at today's Times of India poll,

Q: Will you buy iPhone at Rs.31,000?

YES: 7%

NO: 90%

Can't Say: 3%

Now hope Airtel or Vodafone people read news paper and make some changes.

Also Vodafone is offering iPhone in 12 EMI so that pretty decent i guess.

EMI or no EMI, it is still costly.. As many have pointed out earlier, you have to pay a premium price and still end up getiing a locked phone.. Thats disgusting...

Anyway, I'm least bothered by all this BS, 'coz ultimately 14K to 15K is the max I'd pay for a device thats gonna keep disturbing me with calls often.. :p

Actually i dont understand why all are making fuss about locking to operator..

I guess 90% of the consumers who want to purchase iPhone will either be on Airtel or Vodafone. And any how they told we can use any(OF SAME OPERATOR) SIM in iPhone.So why to worry so much?

vb86 said:
To buy the iPhone outright in Australia, Optus want $749/849 for the 8/16GB.
In Belgium, the iPhone costs 525/625eur for the 8/16gb model.
In the Philippines it's :
8 GB P37,599 = $854
16 GB P43,799 = $995
In Norway the iPhone will cost you up to $900 if you break the contract with the provider - Netcom.
Its costing the same everywhere when its not subsidized. So stop feeling that we're being ripped off. Also, people in these countries pay much more for their calls.
This is done to encourage the customers getting into contracts,
companies want long lasting customers than selling them iphones!..
if u buy contracts, u will get 3g and good data plans, hence they lure customers to their services..
In india
no 3G!!
hardly any wifi spots
most of them are on prepaid, hardly even have pcs
this is a good oppurtunity for airtel/vodafone to "lure" customers into post paid.,
phones come and go, but once ur attached to a number then its very difficult to let it go!!
they just wanna make as much money as possible from the public and still keep iphone brand as a luxury
apparently quite a few actors in bangalore were Paid to come and buy the iphone yesterday night for "publicity"

^^ Seriously doubt though that Android will be able to eclipse OS X as the best choice of an OS on a phone

I love open source stuff despite all its klutziness (on most open source stuff) when I am sitting on my PC and have all the time in the world not to be annoyed by silly naggles or usability issues

Not on a phone though which I want to just work without lagging or being plagued by usability issues

The pricing is obscene but unfortunately we are far from getting an iphone killer yet

Go for the N82, around 20K, buy an ipod touch 8GB if you really care about the iphone apps with the balance. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Back