Iphone dreams shattered? Now what?

raul said:
The cheapest 3G unlocked iPhone is available in the EU region where it is legally barred to sell locked phones in places like Netherlands, Cyprus Switzerland and other places.

Netherlands offers it for $533/633. In Switzerland prices are 519 and 619 Swiss Francs (Ex Rate is 40) for 8/16GB. And they are all UNLOCKED. If you pay the ETF at AT&T its another $200-250 USD and you are free for a total of around $580/680USD for 8/16GB. So the idea that Airtel/Vodaphone is giving you a 'good deal' by selling it at $800 LOCKED is laughably naive.

And If you buy it locked you can get decent to fantastic deals, check the 02 plans links below. None of the locked phones sell for more than 200-400 USD, but that's of course with plans attached.

So if Airtel/Vodaphone want to LOCK it they should bundle decent deals and offer it for less and here we are not expecting anything extraordinary, just that they behave like other operators worldwide. That's the honest thing to do, not lock it and price it at $800 USD or lock it and price it at the 200-400 range with appropriate plans like other operators worldwide. Not have your cake and eat it too at the cost of Indian consumers. That's a huge rip off and a huge mockery of the subsidize model and in any other country the competition regulator would have taken action against this sort of behavior.

The Constantly Updated International iPhone Price Rundown - MacTalk Forums

A Global Pain: iPhone 3G Prices Around The World : iSmashPhone

iPhone 3G prices and plans for 21 countries (updated 3)

Pay Monthly - iPhone - O2
99 and 159 pounds with 30-75 plans. 35 Pounds gets you 600 free minutes, 500 texts and free data and wifi with an 18 months contract.

Ahhh thanks for correcting me! I needed that second link, i remember seeing that before aswell. Cool, we are giving about +170USD to Apple and Airtel / Vodadog for this outdated crap. Nice!

raul said:
The cheapest 3G unlocked iPhone is available in the EU region where it is legally barred to sell locked phones in places like Netherlands, Cyprus Switzerland and other places.

Netherlands offers it for $533/633. In Switzerland prices are 519 and 619 Swiss Francs (Ex Rate is 40) for 8/16GB. And they are all UNLOCKED. If you pay the ETF at AT&T its another $200-250 USD and you are free for a total of around $580/680USD for 8/16GB. So the idea that Airtel/Vodaphone is giving you a 'good deal' by selling it at $800 LOCKED is laughably naive.

And If you buy it locked you can get decent to fantastic deals, check the 02 plans links below. None of the locked phones sell for more than 200-400 USD, but that's of course with plans attached.

So if Airtel/Vodaphone want to LOCK it they should bundle decent deals and offer it for less and here we are not expecting anything extraordinary, just that they behave like other operators worldwide. That's the honest thing to do, not lock it and price it at $800 USD or lock it and price it at the 200-400 range with appropriate plans like other operators worldwide. Not have your cake and eat it too at the cost of Indian consumers. That's a huge rip off and a huge mockery of the subsidize model and in any other country the competition regulator would have taken action against this sort of behavior.

The Constantly Updated International iPhone Price Rundown - MacTalk Forums

A Global Pain: iPhone 3G Prices Around The World : iSmashPhone

iPhone 3G prices and plans for 21 countries (updated 3)

Pay Monthly - iPhone - O2
99 and 159 pounds with 30-75 plans. 35 Pounds gets you 600 free minutes, 500 texts and free data and wifi with an 18 months contract.

Just a small correction. iPhones from Swiss and Netherlands are not unlocked :)

Do you have any links for that info, Pat? If you see the links I posted they are available unlocked. You can of course choose to buy locked at cheaper prices with plans but they at also availble unlocked including in Belgium.

Apple’s iPhone was launched in India in a midnight extravaganza, but its prices in Mumbai slipped overnight, with Vodafone, the service provider for the gadget in Mumbai, selling both the versions of the phones around Rs 1,500 lower than the original cost. The price tag for the gadget is now pegged at Rs 29,640 for 8GB and Rs 34,580 for 16 GB. Vodafone has 33 outlets in the city. The original launch price was of Rs 31,000 for the 8GB version and Rs 36,100 for the 16GB version.

read the whole article here:

Vodafone lowers iPhone prices, Airtel sticks to the original - The Financial Express

Why is the iphone carrier locked at this price??? A price of 36k is justified only if it's sold unlocked.to fully enjoy the iphone one needs access to 3g networks and if i am not wrong state owned cos. like bsnl will be the first to introduce 3g service in india. So it's like owning a Ferrari in india but not having the roads to enjoy it!!

36k would have been a decent price for a 16 Gb model if sold unlocked.After all if a crappy nokia N96 can cost 36k(though N96 got lotta features , none of its features except the camera work particularly well) the high cost of iphone in india would have been somewhat justified if it was sold unlocked. i am not saying 36k is the right price for an iphone but considering the price at which other phones are sold in india 36k isn't that bad.

I know many here have bashed the iphone.But the problem with indians is that they look at the spec sheet(instead of usability factor) and decide whether the phone is gud or bad .

smoky004 said:
Why is the iphone carrier locked at this price??? A price of 36k is justified only if it's sold unlocked.to fully enjoy the iphone one needs access to 3g networks and if i am not wrong state owned cos. like bsnl will be the first to introduce 3g service in india. So it's like owning a Ferrari in india but not having the roads to enjoy it!!
36k would have been a decent price for a 16 Gb model if sold unlocked.After all if a crappy nokia N96 can cost 36k(though N96 got lotta features , none of its features except the camera work particularly well) the high cost of iphone in india would have been somewhat justified if it was sold unlocked. i am not saying 36k is the right price for an iphone but considering the price at which other phones are sold in india 36k isn't that bad.
I know many here have bashed the iphone.But the problem with indians is that they look at the spec sheet(instead of usability factor) and decide whether the phone is gud or bad .

For most of the Indians, its always quantity (no. of features) and not quality (usability of those features) that matters ;)

i guess an oft repeated comment "i think the iphone is over hyped" i think the same too, is the dream really shattered????no i guess not...its a matter of time before others come up with a better and much more sensibly priced phone!!!!!like common guys we have brought phones like the 6600 for 20k around 4yrs back-today much better technology is available for around 6k, so i guess its just a matter of time, and there are definately plenty of gud tech phones which have been priced sensibly too even now......well as for the iphone....it wud have been gr8 at 15k-20k anything more than that is an overkill!!!!just my point of view!!!:)

smoky004 said:
W.But the problem with indians is that they look at the spec sheet(instead of usability factor) and decide whether the phone is gud or bad .

@smoky-need to have the features dude!!!!a product @36k shouldnt have the deficiences like the iphone does...they are charging an extra premium!!!!:no: , isnt an fm receiver the least they could put on the phone???i thought like even a 1k phone features tht!!!!wht implementation if i miss out on most of the basic features???(no sms forwarding-cut paste!!!-oh tht was retarted!!!!:huh: )if the iphone had at LEAST covered all the basics -like the 2MP cam on it-i think thts lower than basic:rofl: it wud have made much better sense!!!:( nothing personal smoky but guess its the frustration of not being able to own one!!:rofl: :hap5: :p

I simply hope that these Vodafone and Airtel dont sell any iPhones now and then finally one day they have an Year End sale (like currently we are having on clothes) of 50% off types aur tabhi bhi koi unka yeh bakwas iPhone naa le :)

Pat said:

Yup, You are right, it seems both Netherlands and Switzerland are not unlocked, but Belgium and Italy are and both are in the 499/620 euros so that's not exactly cheap but it is unlocked.

Additionally may people tried to buy in Switzerland and they have rules and regulations for getting it at 519 CHF with prepaid, you need address proof and local credit card.

You know after all this and the how difficult it is get an unencumbered 3G iPhone at reasonable price I really don't want to support this closed, claustrophobic, extreme control freakery business model. I had high hopes for Android but ultimately Google will have to sell it through the same operators and phone makers like HTC and that probably will dash all hopes on openness.

There is a nice 6 page piece in BusinessWorld this week on the telecom sector which basically rapes our local telcos and their business model, exploiting customers, hoarding spectrum and 'managing public policy'. Airtel is singled out especially. There is a negative mention on iPhone too. Plus they talk about the GSM operators getting together to kill or negatively influence Wimax because they are shit scared of its relatively open model and impact on their business model. A must read.

regardless of the iPhone pricing, singling out our Telcos as the worst money leechers across the globe is a little unjustified

They do screw us over when it comes to Broadband, but voice plans in our country are significantly (and very significantly) cheaper than Europe or N. America

No A2DP, $hitty camera without autofocus/flash, Idiotic bluetooth and costs just 31k, wow.

No Idea what the iPhone fanboys are going about here.

MY SE K500i FTW! :eek:hyeah:

superczar said:
regardless of the iPhone pricing, singling out our Telcos as the worst money leechers across the globe is a little unjustified
They do screw us over when it comes to Broadband, but voice plans in our country are significantly (and very significantly) cheaper than Europe or N. America

The complaints were specifically about 'managing' public policy to slow down alternative tech like Wimax, hoarding spectrum, and not innovating fast enough. They also address the issues of being cheapest on the planet at 2 cents a minute with purchasing power parity, though I don't exactly agree with ppp.

There are also complaints on QOS, I am with Airtel, but on both these counts I haven't faced real issues plus seeing so many segments using cellphones does feel that the are doing some things right. Read it, its obviously not unbiased, such pieces are usually PR by one telco's against others, in this case probably Rcom but some of the wider points do resonate.

even adjusted for ppp, they still wok out significantly cheaper (at ~2c for nationwide, 1c for local and 0.2c for same network-- all of it for no monthly commitment...I for one am not complaining)

Read it, its obviously not unbiased, such pieces are usually PR by one telco's against others, in this case probably Rcom but some of the wider points do resonate.

Great to see folks who are able to read between the lines :)

Darthcoder said:
No Idea what the iPhone fanboys are going about here.

:

how abt. being the best portable internet device and offering great multimedia features coupled with ease of use.how many of your crappy nokia or SE phones do that ??Yes these phones (nokia or SE) have tons of features but how many of these features work well??I would rather prefer a phone that has limited features but features that work well.

besides iphone is not just abt. the hardware.the iphone app store has a library of over 2000 apps and many are free. Yes other phones do have apps but how many of those are really useful and not annoying to use?? The simple fact is the apps for the iphone are much better than other symbian,windows mob. apps and not only are they a pleasure to use but also really useful.

i am not saying that iphone (jesus phone:D) is perfect.but it's not lack of a better res. camera or video recording or copy paste or ability to forward mails that worries me.Most of these(e.g. copy paste) are software related issues and will be easily fixed in the upcoming firware updates.I also don't understand why many indians are complaining so much abt. the absence of features like a second vga camera for MMS??How many indians do actually use that vag camera dfor sending mms?? All this iphone bashing in india brings to mind a certain story "the fox and the grapes":bleh: Lol! i saw a review on tech 2 (gave iphone 3G a rating of 2.5 outta 5 stars) where they cut half a star just for the fact that india doesn't have 3G:rofl: :rofl: How can you blame the iphone for the fact that india still doesn't have 3G:rofl: :rofl:

While many whine abt. absence of features like better camera,lack of a second vga camera, no A2DP,etc,etc,etc I am more concerned abt. other aspects of the iphone--- aspects like lack of removable batteries.it's just an extension of the ilockin strategies apple adopts----Anyone who owns an iPod knows how hard it is to replace the battery, replace a dead hard drive, or fix the thing without going through Apple.To replace iphone's battery you'll have to send it to Apple.Other phones you can just buy a cheap battery replacement from any store but this is not possible with iphone..And believe me,apple's is gonna charge you a lot for that!Again to expand it's memmory, you'll have to buy a new iPhone.

Yes apple's apps store is great! But what's worrying abt. it is the fact that Apple must approve all apps, and will take a 30% cut of each one it sells.Also apple is nixing software that could compete with their own software and services.This means there won't be any cheap/free alternatives to the software developed by apple. This is really worrying and if iphone's app store is a hit(which in all prob. it will be) other phone makers and cos. will follow suit!!:mad: :mad: Apple also has a blacklist feature ---to check for, and potentially defang, software that Apple deems unfit for the iPhone.

Stevie has designed iphone in such a way that it will be a money making machine for apple long after it sold the phone.App store will make sure of that.Yes most of the apps are free and it's our choice whether to buy them or not------But some of the paid apps are so great that we will end up paying for them. Apple plans to make and sell 24 milion iphones so chances of a price drop are high.But the cost of actually maintaining an iphone will still be high .Once you buy from apple you will end up sending more and more money to stevie wonder(atleast i do:( ).

The bottom line is if you are rich, you would be stupid not to buy the iphone and in case you aren't(rich) you would be stupid to buy it.-----okay that's a Slight Overstatement! but you do get my point.

LOL, Typical Fanboyism there :p

We all know where your allegiances lie when you call it the Jesus phone.

Seriously, if the issues related to Camera,Bluetooth,A2DP were only software related why havent they been fixed till now??I had the chance to buy it at $350(the 2g one) but I did not go ahead with it, cos for all its worth if I cant listen to music/take calls on my bluetooth headset(Which is a basic feature for a high-end phone) on a $400 phone, cant click pictures in the night, cant transfer files over bluetooth!! then it is a waste of $400 for me.

My 2 cents :D.

Back