Iphone dreams shattered? Now what?

salluks said:
LOL,
looks like iphone already flopped, just called vodafone
prices reduced to
29,640 for 8GB
34580 for 16GB
:rofl:

Thats not possible. It is just getting launched today. Price cut on the day of launch is just not possible. Maybe they told you the price without taxes :p

superczar said:
^^ Seriously doubt though that Android will be able to eclipse OS X as the best choice of an OS on a phone

I love open source stuff despite all its klutziness (on most open source stuff) when I am sitting on my PC and have all the time in the world not to be annoyed by silly naggles or usability issues

Not on a phone though which I want to just work without lagging or being plagued by usability issues

The pricing is obscene but unfortunately we are far from getting an iphone killer yet

I doubt there will ever be an iPhone killer in the literal sense. With the kind of marketing and hype that Apple creates around its products, it woundnt be possible to kill it. 90% of the people still buy iPhones because of the hype that surrounds it than for some specific reasons. Even if some other company releases a far better phone for a lesser price, there would still be buyers left for Apple. Anyway, there are many phones that are better than iPhone even now. But, they would never be able to kill the iPhone. Even at the current market price of 31k and 37k, there would still be a lot of buyers for the iPhone. Most of those people would never use that phone for anything other than making calls and listening to music.

As for stability and usabiliy of iPhone, I would expect it to be at least stable since Apple has been pooling all its resources and man power from other major products like Leopard and putting them on iPhone. They have been completely ignoring Leopard, bluntly refusing to fix the thousands of bugs in the OS in lieu of improving the iPhone from which they are making a lot of money.

superczar said:
Give me one...
I havent' been able to find any (For my usage pattern)

Thats the problem. Usage pattern and feature set is also an important factor.

For me, Samsung Omnia, HTC Touch Diamond/Pro, Nokia E90 make far better choices because of the feature set, and the fact that they use Symbian or Windows Mobile OS, lots of third party utilites and we can easily available and you can write your own with out a lot off effort. iPhone is based on Tiger and if its SDK is as buggy as its desktop counterparts, then I wont even bother trying to write something for it.

If you consider specs alone, ironically some iPhone clones like the Meizu M8 have lot better specs than the iPhone and still stay smaller and lighther than the iPhone.

Pat said:
Thats not possible. It is just getting launched today. Price cut on the day of launch is just not possible. Maybe they told you the price without taxes :p

quite possible, the person did sound like an idiot :eek:hyeah:

For me, Samsung Omnia, HTC Touch Diamond/Pro, Nokia E90 make far better choices because of the feature set,

and the fact that they use Symbian or Windows Mobile OS, lots of third party utilites and we can easily available

Umm, At last count, the iphone has a library of over 2500, with a sizeable # of free apps...

Some of these apps being far better than anything I have ever seen on WinMo/Symbian... (My last two phones being a N73ME and an asus P527)

Case in point, the itunes remote..even though media player remote apps have been available on both symbian and WinMo for ages now and I have tried quite a few of them, they just remained trial software since once the initial fun of being able to control my PC media player from my phone was gone, I never used those apps again...since they were way too slow/required too much time to navigate or needed too many clicks to achieve even simple stuff so after the initial charm wore off, I found it easier to walk to the PC and change songs instead of having to deal with the klutziness of those apps

The remote on the iPhone on the other hands feels and behaves exactly like the ipod on the iphone and is a joy to use on a daily basis

Just in case you have access to a 3g or the older 2G running V2.0, grab a copy of these three apps:

Remote

Shazam

labyrinth

Android may be able to , but I can bet that no app on Symbian or WinMo phone can even come close to the elegance and elan of these apps

and you can write your own with out a lot off effort. iPhone is based on Tiger and if its SDK is as buggy as its desktop counterparts, then I wont even bother trying to write something for it.

No coments on that... I can't write code for nuts :p

Guys, let's not get into a slanging match. As consumers we must stick together rather than fighting manufacturers a marketing battles here. Whatever your preferences whatever the feature set this thing is not good value at 31k plus and I am skeptical it will take off in any serious way beyond the usual celebrity PR crowd and the richie rich must have the latest gadget types. Not that the tech savvy cannot afford it but because if you are tech savvy you just will not see value at 31k plus.

Of course there will be a heavy marketing PR campaign by the Vodaphone/Airtel/Apple trio whether its taking off or not to create an illusion of success and the media savvy ones who know how the media operates will not fall for the hype. 31k is just not on.

My perspective was slightly different, I am fed up with the Nokia profiteering, lack of innovation, poor build quality at rip off prices, and same with other phones and I was hoping iPhone at 15-20k would change the market and force other manufacturers to re-asses their pricing model here and the usual penchant of Indian marketers to play the 'safe game' and stick to tried and tested premium pricing and 'cream strategy'.

This price shift is happening abroad but because of this atrocious pricing its not going to happen here. HTC has always played the high price game her and with Android I suspect they will continue. So the bottom line is we are jacked as usual.

raul said:
My perspective was slightly different, I am fed up with the Nokia profiteering, lack of innovation, poor build quality at rip off prices, and same with other phones and I was hoping iPhone at 15-20k would change the market and force other manufacturers to re-asses their pricing model here and the usual penchant of Indian marketers to play the 'safe game' and stick to tried and tested premium pricing and 'cream strategy'.

This price shift is happening abroad but because of this atrocious pricing its not going to happen here. HTC has always played the high price game her and with Android I suspect they will continue. So the bottom line is we are jacked as usual.

+1 to that.

If im not mistaken Buying (acquiring) the Airtel Iphone is more advantageous here, then the rest of the world. Atleast for now.

No, im no Apple lover. But ive considered iphones around the world, and thats the conclusion i have come to, the cheapest that it costs to "acquire" one, is about 800USD(Airtel/Vodadog). The second closest is Hong Kong, at about ~1000USD.

Now if we wish to use it "locked", then the cheapest would still be Hong Kong, as they have the best plan out there.

Considering which is better Vodaphone / Airtel? Yes in this battle, it will be Airtel. But why? the cost is the same? BUT, Airtel offers 500MB each month free, for any price plan that u are on. (but correct me on this)

So the bottom line is we are jacked as usual

+1 to that :(

Considering which is better Vodaphone / Airtel? Yes in this battle, it will be Airtel. But why? the cost is the same? BUT, Airtel offers 500MB each month free, for any price plan that u are on. (but correct me on this)

I think you are free to stick in your existing SIM from Airtel/vodafone if bought from them irrespective of the plan you are on....incl prepaid (which IMHO has the best data plan options, at least on airtel)

superczar said:
+1 to that :(

I think you are free to stick in your existing SIM from Airtel/vodafone if bought from them irrespective of the plan you are on....incl prepaid (which IMHO has the best data plan options, at least on airtel)

no, both phones are locked to their respective subscribers

I think thats what he meant the same thing.

What im trying to get at is, what ever plan your on, who ever your provider is. The offer from Airtel beats the vodaphone, since if you buy an iphone from Airtel u get 500MB free each month for 12 months.

no, both phones are locked to their respective subscribers

yes, they are network locked...but not plan locked..i.e. if you buy an airtel iphone and stick an airtel prepaid, it'll work

Btw has anyone here bought the iphone already??

there are a bunch of the regular iphones around here on this forum, and at least one 3G

The cheapest 3G unlocked iPhone is available in the EU region where it is legally barred to sell locked phones in places like Netherlands, Cyprus Switzerland and other places.

Netherlands offers it for $533/633. In Switzerland prices are 519 and 619 Swiss Francs (Ex Rate is 40) for 8/16GB. And they are all UNLOCKED. If you pay the ETF at AT&T its another $200-250 USD and you are free for a total of around $580/680USD for 8/16GB. So the idea that Airtel/Vodaphone is giving you a 'good deal' by selling it at $800 LOCKED is laughably naive.

And If you buy it locked you can get decent to fantastic deals, check the 02 plans links below. None of the locked phones sell for more than 200-400 USD, but that's of course with plans attached.

So if Airtel/Vodaphone want to LOCK it they should bundle decent deals and offer it for less and here we are not expecting anything extraordinary, just that they behave like other operators worldwide. That's the honest thing to do, not lock it and price it at $800 USD or lock it and price it at the 200-400 range with appropriate plans like other operators worldwide. Not have your cake and eat it too at the cost of Indian consumers. That's a huge rip off and a huge mockery of the subsidize model and in any other country the competition regulator would have taken action against this sort of behavior.

The Constantly Updated International iPhone Price Rundown - MacTalk Forums

A Global Pain: iPhone 3G Prices Around The World : iSmashPhone

iPhone 3G prices and plans for 21 countries (updated 3)

Pay Monthly - iPhone - O2
99 and 159 pounds with 30-75 plans. 35 Pounds gets you 600 free minutes, 500 texts and free data and wifi with an 18 months contract.

Iphone3G in India sucks!!!!!!It should b banned ....they r looting us...it costs jus 9K in US n 31K in India wtf!!!!!!!

Ban-boycott the Iphones spread this awareness to all!!!!!!!!!!

Back