Monitor or TV for Console Gaming PS4

eraviii

Disciple
Hello TE fam,

My Current Setup : Ps4 + Dell Monitor 22inch - I feel Monitor is quite small and looking to upgrade.

Please let me know should I go for a TV 32/40/42 " or Bigger Monitor like 27 / 32/ inch's.
This is purely for gaming and occasionally Binge watching Movies/ Netflix on bigger screen from laptop / PS.

Confused between TV & Monitor as at same price 4k TV would come where as Monitor price is rocket. Please help ! Thank you !!

Note : Getting Xbox Series S in few months, so high on gaming.

Hello TE fam,

My Current Setup : Ps4 + Dell Monitor 22inch - I feel Monitor is quite small and looking to upgrade.

Please let me know should I go for a TV 32/40/42 " or Bigger Monitor like 27 / 32/ inch's.
This is purely for gaming and occasionally Binge watching Movies/ Netflix on bigger screen from laptop / PS.

Confused between TV & Monitor as at same price 4k TV would come where as Monitor price is rocket. Please help ! Thank you !!

If budget then get the lg oled Cx monitor. Else lg 4K gl950.

Getting Xbox Series S in few months, so high on gaming.
For a Series S, I'd recommend getting a good 1440p display, and probably not high refresh tbh. I think with that console you should focus more on getting a good HDR panel since I think HDR will better play to the strengths of a Series S than pushing high fps or 4k gaming.
So a 1440p display with at least HDR500 would be my say.
Size would depend on how far away from the screen you'll be sitting at while playing. If 22" feels too small, and you have enough space for it, look at a 32" model. If that's too big, check out 27" models.
And since there's aren't really many (any?) TVs with 1440p resolution, I suppose that leaves you with only monitors as a choice.

Stating a budget would also help narrowing down choices btw, along with how much is the max size you can accommodate

Last edited:
Hello TE fam,

Its a simple answer actually
TL;DR
If you know for sure that you are not going to use the display for any text based work - then just get a TV without thinking twice.
If however you do intend to use the display with a laptop/PC for any kind of text rendering, get a monitor..

Longer version - TV panels and driver electronics are tuned for videos - and are focused on parameters such as maximising the brighness levels/ contrast ratio.. this works great for movies/ console gaming
While monitor panels and electronics have to ensure proper 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and a panel suited for accurate text rendering - which works great when you are working on a spreadsheet or a word processor....
For a given budget, they both achieve it by maximising the preferred parameters at the cost of the other

If your budget is high enough, you can get either that excel at both
but for a finite budget, pick a side and stick to it

For a Series S, I'd recommend getting a good 1440p display, and probably not high refresh tbh. I think with that console you should focus more on getting a good HDR panel since I think HDR will better play to the strengths of a Series S than pushing high fps or 4k gaming.
So a 1440p display with at least HDR500 would be my say.
Size would depend on how far away from the screen you'll be sitting at while playing. If 22" feels too small, and you have enough space for it, look at a 32" model. If that's too big, check out 27" models.
And since there's aren't really many (any?) TVs with 1440p resolution, I suppose that leaves you with only monitors as a choice.

Stating a budget would also help narrowing down choices btw, along with how much is the max size you can accommodate

Max can go up to 32 inch. Any Specific Models to look at at 27/32 inches. ? Budget under 30k.
Its a simple answer actually
TL;DR
If you know for sure that you are not going to use the display for any text based work - then just get a TV without thinking twice.
If however you do intend to use the display with a laptop/PC for any kind of text rendering, get a monitor..

Longer version - TV panels and driver electronics are tuned for videos - and are focused on parameters such as maximising the brighness levels/ contrast ratio.. this works great for movies/ console gaming
While monitor panels and electronics have to ensure proper 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and a panel suited for accurate text rendering - which works great when you are working on a spreadsheet or a word processor....
For a given budget, they both achieve it by maximising the preferred parameters at the cost of the other

If your budget is high enough, you can get either that excel at both
but for a finite budget, pick a side and stick to it
Thank you for explaining in clarity, Budget under 30k . Monitor is well suited according to my usage pattern.

Max can go up to 32 inch. Any Specific Models to look at at 27/32 inches. ? Budget under 30k.

Thank you for explaining in clarity, Budget under 30k . Monitor is well suited according to my usage pattern.
extend the budget by 8k and get an lg 27gl850 2k monitor. asus one is also great which comes around 33k to 31k depend on version and availability.

Hello TE fam,

If you're playing competitive i would suggest a monitor as they offer better response times , however if you are planning to upgrade to a next gen console , then most monitors come with 144hz nowadays so that's a good advantage , whereas any TV with a high refresh rate is very expensive. I would suggest the LG32GK650

Back