PC Peripherals Need an ergonomic chair

@Tinbed: How easy is it to clean these chairs? I mean if it gets dusty over a period of time, do you simply wipe the back support with a wet cloth? Cleaning a leatherette chair is much easier that way.

I think I may have to invest in a decent chair for my desk. Been sitting on a plastic Nilkamal chair so far. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tinbed: How easy is it to clean these chairs? I mean if it gets dusty over a period of time, do you simply wipe the back support with a wet cloth? Cleaning a leatherette chair is much easier that way.

I think I may have to invest in a decent chair for my desk. Been sitting on a plastic Nilkamal chair so far. :(

Not advisable dude. You'll get back problems pretty quickly especially if you spend long hours on it.

A chair is a one-time investment. Buy the best one you can afford. It should easily last you a few years...

Not advisable dude. You'll get back problems pretty quickly especially if you spend long hours on it.

A chair is a one-time investment. Buy the best one you can afford. It should easily last you a few years...

Yeah I know. :(

2 years back I was on the same boat. But since there weren't many dealers offering good quality chairs here (barring HOF which was expensive!) I chose a recliner and got one. But that is in the drawing room. My computer desk now needs a proper chair.

@Gannu, the mesh gets only lightly dusty over time, but all you have to do is take it to a balcony or an open space and tap it with something and most of the visible dust is out. If you have a vacuum cleaner, you could use that as well to suck dust off.

The mesh actually hugs you back so its quite comfortable.

If memory serves me right, the one with the taller back was 4.5 to 5k. These models has custom cushion which could be purchased separately which sticks to the backrest and supports your lower back. These quotes are about 3 yrs old, so i'm guessing they must be a little more now.

These models usually are purchased in bulk for office purposes.

Did you get any back problems because of this?

Not yet! *touchwood*

But I make it a point to get out of my room every hour or so to catch some fresh air. I know of some of the guys here who've suffered from back aches and weren't able to attend the office as a result. One guy managed to get some ayurvedic therapy done and got it reduced to a great extent but was advised by the doctor to have a proper lumbar support at the office chair. He had to get some sort of cushion done from some upholstery guy which is curved inwards and gives a nice support to the back.

We use mesh chairs at work. For cleaning, a vacuum cleaner (like @Tinbed suggested) or a quick burst of compressed air will do the job.

I have also heard a lot of people swear by using a Balance Ball for sitting. Supposed to force you into using proper posture.

chair.jpg

What about kneeling chair. Supposed to keep posture upright...

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-Mobile-Ergonomic-Kneeling/dp/B000TMFSQK

Also check out DAMRO, think they have a showroom in Kodambakkam, you will also get cheap stuff in Royapettah (next to Pilot theater), but I suggest you invest in a good chair, as this has to do with lumbar support, and a few extra thousand would definitely be worth in the long run.
http://damroindia.com/office_chair.html
Edit - Let me know if you find anything interesting, I am looking to buy one too, may be we can get a better deal.

Model - ICF004, Looks good but it doesn't show the price... And i don't know how the side bar is or will it last for long!!

guys looking for a good chair for my mom with back pain....budget is 15K can be extended a bit....what brands can i look at? Im based in Hyderabad.

I am also looking for a good chair and for a good back rest too. Money not a problem. It should be comfy relaxable while sitting on the computer as I sit for almost 15-16 hrs a day in front of the PC

Do not put that much time in front of a computer... There are so things that money can never fix, no matter how important the PC is. There are many issues with doing that kind of routine - vision damage, RSI and a back problem for sure. I understand that many times your livelihood may depend on it, but you have to have some rest too. No less than ten minute break every hour, and no more than eight hours total per day is what is advocated.

If budget is not a problem take a vacation. I'm totally serious. A chair can wait, but your health cannot. When you come back, Featherlite has a fantastic four component chair for about 40k or so that you can look at. It's cheaper than the wheelchair you might need if you keep up that routine. I am not condescending, I'm totally serious.

I am also looking for a good chair and for a good back rest too. Money not a problem. It should be comfy relaxable while sitting on the computer as I sit for almost 15-16 hrs a day in front of the PC
U say money aint a prob so have a look at Leoma model in Godrej Interio....its too dam comfy. Priced at 23K.

Totally agree with @cranky there.
On the standup side, I've been working standing since last 6 months. Cant do it all day, so have a 2 display + laptop setup. Really refreshing after you get used to it. Reduces a ton of inertia to move as you are already standing to movements are more frequent and natural than when seated. I think I am ready to invest in a nice stand-up desk solution now. Having got used to the way of working. Have been hunting around but could not find any brands selling it here, any pointers?

I recently bought a chair featuring lumbar support and shoulder height mesh back, which forces an upright posture, for 5K from a local brand that is well-known for such chairs. Even then, I still find sitting for more than an hour kinda troublesome and can feel the tension build up in the lower back. I normally get up after about every hour and perform mild stretching or walk around for a few minutes before resuming the session.

The store had a couple of other full mesh chairs in the 20K range and it was an absolute pleasure using them.

Back