Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012) - Discussion Thread

All the cars are unlocked right from the start of the game! I wonder where the fun is now. :(

I have faith in Criterion though. Let's see how this fares.

For anybody looking to buy it for PS3, check the PSN store. It's available for 2499/- and will be available on day 1 i.e. 30th October. Also, if you are a plus member, you can start preloading it from the 27th. It will be ready to play on the 30th.

From whatever reviews i've read online the consensus is that this game is made for multiplayer. Single-player gamers may not enjoy this as much due to a lack of structure in the campaign mode...

I don't like the direction in which Criterion is taking the NFS franchise. It's like they never got out of the "Burnout mode". Running around bashing cars gets old after some iterations. The Gametrailers review discusses these points, a good review, although they scored it a bit high. What is different from the last one? Updated social services, billboards showing friends scores and that you have to search for a car every single time you want to change them. It's becoming the COD of racing games, same stuff with small changes. Too bad, it used to be a good franchise.

Since I am preoccupied with Dark Souls now, I decided to stay away from the other titles. But my roomie who has some interest in the NFS series had the game installed. So decided to give it a quick shot after I came back from the workout today morn. Fired up the game and the menu screen surprisingly did not have a soundtrack! Either that or there’s something I am missing here. Loaded the campaign and the Porsche 911 Carrera S was available (right from the beginning?!). The car looked smexy – great designs and rendering! The Frostbite 2 Chameleon engine however, brought his GPU (5670 1 GB) to its knees and the frames were hovering around 30’ish in the lowest settings within the graphics menu. So looks like although this is the best looking NFS title till date, most systems will take a hit with the game thanks to the new engine. I am curious to see how the game fares on my system.

Drove around a bit in the Fairhaven city and loaded a quick match to get a feel of the arcade driving and it seems more or less similar to the Burnout series/Hot Pursuit. With the controller, maneuvering the ride is pretty easy. Soundtracks within the game looks good to me although my comment is limited to just a couple of tracks. Modifications to the ride can be done anytime from the menu and does not warrant a garage. The Autolog matchmaking system is available as well. Folks who loved the original Most Wanted, Carbon, Underground and the likes will be disappointed with the new title but as a whole I feel this one is a lot more mature over the previous iterations outed by EA BlackBox. I shall reserve my comments until I get to play it properly.

Correction: The game does not use the Frostbite 2 engine as was rumored before. It uses a heavily modified Chameleon engine as mentioned in the tweet here.

I'm currently driving the gallardo.. and it sounds sweet :D

upgraded it to first two tiers.. now challenging the 10th special car :p

My Impression/Review

To start off it will feel pretty watered down for the fans of the original MW.
Since its been made by Criterion this time around we get a very real feel n flavor of Burnout: Paradise in it.

Visuals:
I don't know if its just my imagination or what .. but MW(original) had a blue-ish tinge to the game visuals .. making it seem very modern.
MW:2012 has a yellow-ish tinge to the visuals giving it that retro 80's feel. Does'nt seem like much but such things tend to alter the mood of the game a LOT !!

Gameplay:
Traffic is more chaotic this time around .. I got T-boned a dozen times by other commuter when speeding through an intersections.. It happens more often than not so I think its been coded intentionally by the developers.

The Cops are 'easier' this time around. With a fast enough car (eg. Porsche) I was able to outrun-evade them on straight highways. The roadblocks are easier to smash through. Much less police radio chatter. Which is why I would say that game feel watered down and less arcade-like.

The default Camera angle is a little more distant .. much more akin to Burnout that to the NFS series AND NO MOTION BLUR SO FAR !!!
The handling is smooth and easy to get used to .. I'm more of a handbrake-racer but in this one I found tapping the back-brake works best .. :) :p

Conclusion:
I guess I (and most fans) was expecting a remastered version of the original MW with better cars etc but sadly this isn't.

FOR THE FANS:
--No pursuit breakers.
--No Cooldown/Evade zones.
--No hot models and cliched-characters filled plot.
--No intense arcade like driving.

I wouldn't call the game rushed or unfinished because I see potential in the Graphics quality of the game, but since I haven't been able to exploit it I'll leave it open for judgment. Its right up there with every NFS game but falls short of the promise which come with its title .. MOST WANTED.

RATING:
6.5/10

PS. Don't take my word on it .. this is just the preliminary .. there maybe a +/- 1 variation in the final rating :p

My Impression/Review

To start off it will feel pretty watered down for the fans of the original MW.
Since its been made by Criterion this time around we get a very real feel n flavor of Burnout: Paradise in it.

Visuals:
I don't know if its just my imagination or what .. but MW(original) had a blue-ish tinge to the game visuals .. making it seem very modern.
MW:2012 has a yellow-ish tinge to the visuals giving it that retro 80's feel. Does'nt seem like much but such things tend to alter the mood of the game a LOT !!

I think you got that mixed up.

Back