Need help in purchasing a refrigerator.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
I have other equipment to deal with; like True RMS multimeters, oscilloscope etc...So I pass some known current or read some x current, and ensure the reading is consistent across multiple equipment.
Picked up the 10A & 15A models of that Meco and they came with calibration certs signed by the seller in Bombay. When i compared the readings they were within 5% of my usual meter.

This is an extra cost but it helps to have a second opinion.

I find my power consumption values are over what the the BEE label suggests but its within 50%
I got this for 36k after exchange (with an older but smaller LG double door) recently in Feb for my parents -
Checked 2-3 offline stores but they could not offer anything less than 38k after exchange. Amazon offered a higher exchange value compared to only 1k scrap value which the offline stores were giving. This is in Kolkata.
My parents have been always happy with LG refrigerators including their service. This was no different as the technician arrived within an hour of delivery, set-up and explained everything pretty well.
Good shelf layout there. A shelf at the bottom of the door means the bins are slightly smaller but i've made good use of that space. It's the warmest part of the fridge and some produce like cucumbers lasts longer at a higher storage temperature than at colder temps.

Only downside is you don't get a digital thermostat with LG with fridges smaller than 400L. Not a big deal if you use your own thermometers.

Is it top lit or side lit ? can't tell

Freezer won't have a light with this one i think.

But it has the circuit board on the top and in salty air i don't think it will last. I might check whether my board is potted. In that case it won't make a difference. The boards on washing machines are all covered with this epoxy to prevent corrosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ibose

ibose

Skilled
Jun 20, 2009
Good shelf layout there. A shelf at the bottom of the door means the bins are slightly smaller but i've made good use of that space. It's the warmest part of the fridge and some produce like cucumbers lasts longer at a higher temperature temperature than at colder temps.
Mom made the selection of this model after a lot of research for this exact reason :)
Is it top lit or side lit ? can't tell

Freezer won't have a light with this one i think.
There is a LED below freezer compartment just above the chiller. No light in the freezer

Last edited:

dexterz

Adept
Jan 30, 2008
I got this for 36k after exchange (with an older but smaller LG double door) recently in Feb for my parents -
Checked 2-3 offline stores but they could not offer anything less than 38k after exchange. Amazon offered a higher exchange value compared to only 1k scrap value which the offline stores were giving. This is in Kolkata.
My parents have been always happy with LG refrigerators including their service. This was no different as the technician arrived within an hour of delivery, set-up and explained everything pretty well.
yea thats the one I'm looking at now. I forgot about the 5% cashback on ICICI Amazon pay card. Getting it for 35k after exchange and 1500discount. Plus 5% cashback on the card. If the same rate holds till tomorrow I'll get it from Amazon

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Mom made the selection of this model after a lot of research for this exact reason :)
This is something you can only figure out when you stand next to the fridge.

I would remove one glass shelf to have more space between shelves. It's easier to take things in and out and allows better circulation of air. The way it is right now encourages filling it up with small things and circulation won't be as good. Max loading is 70% the remaining free space is for circulation

It will also look less crammed.

There was a similar model like this when i was looking and the white plastic that borders the shelves was very fragile. Really thin plastic that bordered the glass. I went with a different model. Photos are there in the thread i posted in couple years back. The design of yours is like mine. they are small strips and won't snap so easily.

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
Only downside is you don't get a digital thermostat with LG with fridges smaller than 400L. Not a big deal if you use your own thermometers.
LG has come up with new models with digital thermostat but with minimum capacity at 340litres.
Curious as to whether the ice-cube tray in your LG fridge is removable?

Seems like for my requirement, both brands would be more or less the same. My primary requirement was looking for an LIC based fridge. But it seems available on in the higher capacity models. For lower models, both Samsung, LG would use reciprocal compressor.
LG has launched new models, hoping Samsung does the same.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
LG has come up with new models with digital thermostat but with minimum capacity at 340litres.
Curious as to whether the ice-cube tray in your LG fridge is removable?
Yes it is and its moveable to either end. You want to check for that as i noticed the smaller models did not have removable ice boxes. In this case the shelf has to come off if you don't want it. Bad design.
Seems like for my requirement, both brands would be more or less the same. My primary requirement was looking for an LIC based fridge. But it seems available on in the higher capacity models. For lower models, both Samsung, LG would use reciprocal compressor.
LG has launched new models, hoping Samsung does the same.
Pick the one that best suits your needs. However I don't think a change is bad idea. You already had a samsung.
But mostly I have decided to go for RT34T4513S8 from Samsung. It's a 324 lit gross volume, 300 lit actual.
The reason for this is the insulation they have to use. There are different categories of fridge depending on which country they are sold. India is tropical that means it has the most insulation compared to semi tropical or temperate. The ones sold in the UK with similar dimensions have more space internally as they use less insulation.

The insulation works, i had no power once for ten hours. Did not open the fridge and was surprised to find the ice hardly melted. With the old fridge there would have been a nice pool of water on the floor after ten hours. It would have completely defrosted in ten hours.
Would be visiting some stores tomorrow. Should suffice for a family of 4.
Size of the fridge depends more how much you store in it than number of people. If you insist on fresh produce then you don't buy much and go food shopping more often.

If you aren't too bothered with that then you shop less often and buy in larger quantity. This you then cook and means you freeze more often. Don't have to cook every day.

See the difference. Less time shopping and cooking means more free time which a bigger fridge allows.

More space helps and given the insulation i mentioned to have the same internal space as a fridge sold in the UK you need one here that is at least 100L larger.
All models, certification are of 2020 make. Pisses me off!!
From what i can tell each year they lose a star. So 5 star today is 1 star five years from now. In a couple of years how the four stars compare. In any case my daily power consumption is at least 50% more than what is listed on the BEE label. And the fridge is only half full.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaleen Bhaiya

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
In this case the shelf has to come off if you don't want it. Bad design.
This could/will be a deal breaker. I have seen some YT videos some 1-2 years back where they did mention the tray was immovable in LG. The real reason going for convertible is to ensure no back breaking exercise for the elderly. The ice tray would unnecessarily take up space. It won't be an issue if one is going for large capacity but for medium ones, you will try to use every inch possible, hence the freezer-fridge comes into picture.
However I don't think a change is bad idea. You already had a samsung.
LG really needs to get hold of new design team. I mean, the abundance of flower design in LG seems a bit too much. I know it will sit in the kitchen but should I relocate in the future and if the fridge is in my line of sight, it's going to be an eyesore!! A balance of minimal and flower design should be the approach.
The reason for this is the insulation they have to use.
That does explain why we lose out so much on the gross volume.
Size of the fridge depends more how much you store in it than number of people. If you insist on fresh produce then you don't buy much and go food shopping more often.

If you aren't too bothered with that then you shop less often and buy in larger quantity. This you then cook and means you freeze more often. Don't have to cook every day.
While I am a votary of fresh produce, the word fresh exists only on paper in cities, or atleast in my area. But given the job constraints, there would be times where you would want to get your produce in advance. This being a variable at this point, I have decided to go for higher capacity as it won't hurt me electricity-wise. The 324 lit. has a big vegetable box so I suppose it won't be a problem. Else, my present 240 lit(assuming, don't know the capacity) would suffice for a daily shopper.
From what i can tell each year they lose a star. So 5 star today is 1 star five years from now.
This!!! Amazon has clearly mentioned that the models lose a star after expiry of certificate. With per unit rate already increasing, I honestly don't want to settle with a 2-star, even 3-star when buying a new product. I know ratings are subjective and depends a lot of parameters, but still you want the best bang for your buck. But for my capacity, only max 3-star available that too reduced to 2-star with expiry hence no option.

Anyone, any idea how long does this panel-based thermostat work? I am in favour of manual knob since it costs less to replace it should it go bad. But with existing experience, it has konked off twice in two years. This has forced me to think about panel based ones. LG offers this in 340+ litres, Samsung in 324+. Does long term heavy cooling has an impact on the fan used to throw cool air. I could feel the throw when I close the light, but only barely. Or maybe I really don't have a benchmark as to how powerful should the throw be.
@blr_p does your LG model allow for cleaning gasket? I didn't know till now that you can clean it. Watching some videos showed it can be done on Samsung, atleast.

Last edited:

karanssh

Disciple
Apr 17, 2019
Bangalore
I actually bought the same model in kolkata, cost came to 36K without exchange. Bought it from an offline shop. Great fridge

dexterz

Adept
Jan 30, 2008
I'll be heading out shortly to see if this 360L model is available offline and then decide based on final price.

ibose

Skilled
Jun 20, 2009
I actually bought the same model in kolkata, cost came to 36K without exchange. Bought it from an offline shop. Great fridge
If I may ask, from where and when ? I tried the usual Capitals and Khoslas, and they were not upto it.

dexterz

Adept
Jan 30, 2008
I ordered it from Amazon today. Delivery by tomorrow. Offline shops either didn't have the model or aggressively pushed Samsung curd maker :laughing:. Paid 35k after 5k exchange, 1.5k discount. 5% cashback expected from Amazon pay CC.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Anyone, any idea how long does this panel-based thermostat work? I am in favour of manual knob since it costs less to replace it should it go bad. But with existing experience, it has konked off twice in two years. This has forced me to think about panel based ones. LG offers this in 340+ litres, Samsung in 324+.
My fridge is barely three years old. Everything is working. Need to pop the back off one of these days and go hoover up the condenser fins. They get quite dusty after a year.

As for fridge thermometers i found this. They aren't built for fridges but go down to -20 so I think its fine.

Pick up an extra sensor and you will get wireless readings for both freezer and fridge. Including humidity. But it uses AAA batteries so they won't last as long as AA which mine uses.

One i have does not do humidity but works well.

Does long term heavy cooling has an impact on the fan used to throw cool air. I could feel the throw when I close the light, but only barely. Or maybe I really don't have a benchmark as to how powerful should the throw be.
All i can say is don't block the vents. A design that has air blowing out the side of the vents rather than from the front is better.

@blr_p does your LG model allow for cleaning gasket? I didn't know till now that you can clean it. Watching some videos showed it can be done on Samsung, atleast.
What cleaning gasket and link to the videos you saw this
Offline shops either didn't have the model or aggressively pushed Samsung curd maker :laughing:
Curd maker ? do you really need a separate gadget to do this :wideyed:

Last edited:

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
This could/will be a deal breaker. I have seen some YT videos some 1-2 years back where they did mention the tray was immovable in LG. The real reason going for convertible is to ensure no back breaking exercise for the elderly. The ice tray would unnecessarily take up space. It won't be an issue if one is going for large capacity but for medium ones, you will try to use every inch possible, hence the freezer-fridge comes into picture.
Agreed. So you better check this in the store.
LG really needs to get hold of new design team. I mean, the abundance of flower design in LG seems a bit too much. I know it will sit in the kitchen but should I relocate in the future and if the fridge is in my line of sight, it's going to be an eyesore!! A balance of minimal and flower design should be the approach.
I don't know what's up with the flowers other than to say its an Indian thing :D

Wanted to buy a cake for a relative of mine some years back. This man has seen four wars and i just could not find any cakes without flowers on them.
That does explain why we lose out so much on the gross volume.
It only hits you when you compare internal dimensions with external and you wonder where did all that space go in the freezer !!!
While I am a votary of fresh produce, the word fresh exists only on paper in cities, or atleast in my area.
Not just in your area but world wide. If you want fresh then you have to go to farmers markets and buy by the crate. And where are you going to store it ;)
The 324 lit. has a big vegetable box so I suppose it won't be a problem. Else, my present 240 lit(assuming, don't know the capacity) would suffice for a daily shopper.
I use plastic storage boxes as i find it get more control over humidity that way. Those boxes have a grill at the bottom so greens don't come into contact with moisture which collects at the bottom and stay fresh for at least two weeks. There's a whole lot of tricks to making produce last longer after buying.
This!!! Amazon has clearly mentioned that the models lose a star after expiry of certificate. With per unit rate already increasing, I honestly don't want to settle with a 2-star, even 3-star when buying a new product. I know ratings are subjective and depends a lot of parameters, but still you want the best bang for your buck. But for my capacity, only max 3-star available that too reduced to 2-star with expiry hence no option.
The LG's with the linear compressor will be more efficient. I tired to get a model that had that compressor as its their latest and greatest. Came out in 2014 but in India its the latest you can get. As to longevity I can't say yet.

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
So I was in for a rude shock. Before that, it was a real ordeal convincing my Dad that 324L is the best way forward. He is still hung on 253L. Unfortunately, I think going for 253L would be the way forward even when I don't want to... Read on..

For me it's not the price or size. But the huge spike in energy reading from 209 units to 265 units for the 324 litres. Samsung just extended the validity of energy certificate by 6 months(Jan-Jun 2022) and models above 300L have been converted to 2-star. That just defeated my entire purpose of going for a refrigerator which saves power. Frankly, 209 units was acceptable, 265 would mean I am back to square one. :( I know I shouldn't be paying too much attention to the numbers but from what @blr_p has mentioned, with time it will only increase, which I want to be as least as possible.

I saw LG ones but there was no model with touch panel in my capacity. 335L would be too much and even that doesn't have touch panel. So had to give it a miss.

From size wise, 324L does seem to be on the bigger side. The shopkeeper was kind enough to show with measurements that it will fit, but it will be a tight fit in the sense I cannot have space for air to move for circulation. He even told me that if it doesn't fit in your space or you don't like it, we can get it exchanged. But I still can't wrap my head that this thing is going to consume more than 265 units annually..

What cleaning gasket and link to the videos you saw this
I meant the rubber gasket along the doors which seals the entire refrigerator door.
The LG's with the linear compressor will be more efficient. I tired to get a model that had that compressor as its their latest and greatest. Came out in 2014 but in India its the latest you can get.
All above 335 litres.. Not going there. Already tired fighting since evening.

Agreed. So you better check this in the store.
Did that. Attached to the tray!! Great job, LG :mad:

t only hits you when you compare internal dimensions with external and you wonder where did all that space go in the freezer !!!
And this becomes an issue. The 324L seems normal from the inside, it's only from the outside that when a person sees it and the first thought that comes to mind is, "Man, this thing is big!!"

If it applies to your case, Do you keep your fridge very close to the walls or leave some space along the sides and the back. As this would be a tight fit, meaning I have to give up on the vacant space which would not allow air circulation, and hence get the compressor hot. This 324L model has the entire back, including the compressor section sealed with cooling vents at the bottom and the side. Either Samsung must be really confident that its compressor runs cool, or there is some disaster waiting to happen.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
For me it's not the price or size. But the huge spike in energy reading from 209 units to 265 units for the 324 litres. Samsung just extended the validity of energy certificate by 6 months(Jan-Jun 2022) and models above 300L have been converted to 2-star. That just defeated my entire purpose of going for a refrigerator which saves power. Frankly, 209 units was acceptable, 265 would mean I am back to square one. :( I know I shouldn't be paying too much attention to the numbers but from what @blr_p has mentioned, with time it will only increase, which I want to be as least as possible.
265-209 = 56. Double it for real world use we get 112. At Rs.10 per unit it works out to Rs.1,120 PER YEAR or little under Rs.100 extra per month. Bear in mind this is the worst case scenario. It could be half as much.

Whether the larger fridge space is worth it is up to you to decide. But my 470L fridge consumes 30% less than my almost 50 yr old Kelvinator which was half the size.

From size wise, 324L does seem to be on the bigger side. The shopkeeper was kind enough to show with measurements that it will fit, but it will be a tight fit in the sense I cannot have space for air to move for circulation.
You need that space for air circulation otherwise it will consume more. Space is your constraint. At least 6 inches at the back, more is better since you have a shelf and there is no way for the hot air to escape.

1-2 inches on the side. You don't want it to touch anything as then you will get more sound from vibration when the compressor starts up.
I meant the rubber gasket along the doors which seals the entire refrigerator door.
You are asking whether i can clean it ? LG's door gaskets can be peeled off to clean. They have studs that you can push back in. I think the Sammy ones are glued in. Check in the shop.
All above 335 litres.. Not going there. Already tired fighting since evening.
Then what is Samsung's latest equivalent compressor ?
Did that. Attached to the tray!! Great job, LG :mad:
Yeah thought so. Dumb design. We're not getting the latest designs to keep price down.
If it applies to your case, Do you keep your fridge very close to the walls or leave some space along the sides and the back. As this would be a tight fit, meaning I have to give up on the vacant space which would not allow air circulation, and hence get the compressor hot. This 324L model has the entire back, including the compressor section sealed with cooling vents at the bottom and the side. Either Samsung must be really confident that its compressor runs cool, or there is some disaster waiting to happen.
Space at the back and sides is important. Keep that in mind and get the fridge that fits keeping ventilation in mind.

What is ambient temperature in the room right now where this fridge will be located ?

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
What is ambient temperature in the room right now where this fridge will be located ?
In my room it's usually 30C during summers, 26-25C in monsoon, 22-24C in winters. My kitchen area has good ventilation but in the afternoon, it receives direct sunlight between 3-5pm from the 3-pane window which raises the temps. Let's keep a difference of 1C, so 29C for now in summer. +_ 1C for variation but not more. My hall is attached to the kitchen and the hall has good airflow. So there is very little heat buildup. Also the ceiling fans in the hall and kitchen throw a lot of air into the kitchen to dissipate the buildup. So I can say for sure that the air is not stagnant in kitchen. The only other time the kitchen area becomes a bit hot is when using the gas stove. We open up the kitchen windows to allow fresh air. This is mostly in morning, so cool air.

You need that space for air circulation otherwise it will consume more. Space is your constraint. At least 6 inches at the back, more is better since you have a shelf and there is no way for the hot air to escape.

1-2 inches on the side. You don't want it to touch anything as then you will get more sound from vibration when the compressor starts up.
I am Giving my total volume, volume used by current fridge and volume of 324L fridge. All dimensions in cms.

Current dimensions- 64+(D)x85(L)x174(H). D-depth, H-height, l-length. I gave depth as 64+ because I still have some room to get the fridge into the front and ensure space at the back for cooling. Refer point below.

Current fridge dimensions - 64(D)x56(L)x142(H). It has a space of 3in at the rear, 4in on the left side, 7in on the right for ventilation. The reason for 3in at the rear is because there is an obstacle which sits parallel to the washing machine prevent me from getting close to the machine while loading, unloading. I am going to get rid of that obstacle which will leave me with more space and have 6in space at the back.

324L dimensions- 67(D)x60(L)x164(H). The depth can be increased after getting rid of that obstacle, so that's covered. Regarding length, I am still left with 17cm(6.69in) gap from the right side, already 4in exists on the left side. So that's covered as well. Now for height, I am left with only 10 cms. Normally this shouldn't be an issue if you have good airflow. But let's say there is zero turbulence or no airflow, warm air from the bottom will rise to the top and dissipate. The shelf atop currently covers only 10% of the top fridge. If I can drag the fridge forward enough so that the shelf doesn't cover it, warm air can rise further up and get dissipated.

But my 470L fridge consumes 30% less than my almost 50 yr old Kelvinator which was half the size.
This should be a given. Technology has made rapid progress so yes. Even from one of the video you posted about power consumption for 253L, his average daily unit came to 0.78, much less than my avg 4 unit/day, assuming same usage scenario.

While comparing the Samsung models old and new, I found that the freezer area, the difference between gross and actual is more on the new than on the old. Not comparing numerically, but from usable area perspective. Don't know if its even a valid comparison, but just a point I observed.
You are asking whether i can clean it ? LG's door gaskets can be peeled off to clean. They have studs that you can push back in. I think the Sammy ones are glued in. Check in the shop.
Yes. But I Missed it yesterday. But from the review video for the same Sammy model, the demo person does show the rubber gasket can be removed. They might have added in their new models. Nevertheless, will be going to my regular shop and will see the same.

Then what is Samsung's latest equivalent compressor ?
Didn't ask. I even wonder sales guy would know what is inverter linear or the difference between digital and linear. If you want, I will ask them.

dazzwilliams

Disciple
Oct 9, 2020
Now for height, I am left with only 10 cms. Normally this shouldn't be an issue if you have good airflow. But let's say there is zero turbulence or no airflow, warm air from the bottom will rise to the top and dissipate. The shelf atop currently covers only 10% of the top fridge. If I can drag the fridge forward enough so that the shelf doesn't cover it, warm air can rise further up and get dissipated.
Idk about asthetics but maybe installing 3 120mm high cfm PC case fans acting as exhaust might help. RGB for bling ;)
They can be powered by an old 12v router adapter

dexterz

Adept
Jan 30, 2008
The new fridge is here. The current stabilizer I have states its rated for up to 290L. Should I get a new stabilizer for this 360L or will the current one suffice?
20220403_124433.jpg