Need suggestions for buying AC

For inverter AC, since the supply is first converted to DC before being fed to the compressor motor, a stabilizer is not required. During the inversion phase, it is also stepped up to 310V (typically). The circuitry compensates for any fluctuations in input voltage within a wide range. Same also applies to refrigerators using inverter compressor.

For inverter AC, since the supply is first converted to DC before being fed to the compressor motor, a stabilizer is not required. During the inversion phase, it is also stepped up to 310V (typically). The circuitry compensates for any fluctuations in input voltage within a wide range. Same also applies to refrigerators using inverter compressor.
The stabilizer not required is bad advise. Even though todays inverter AC can accept a wide voltage range just like your PC smps, its only when you cross the operating voltage be it 270v or even 300v , is when the damage will happen. Replacing a stabilizer is cheap, not the same case with a blown PCB in the outdoor unit.

The stabilizer not required is bad advise. Even though todays inverter AC can accept a wide voltage range just like your PC smps, its only when you cross the operating voltage be it 270v or even 300v , is when the damage will happen. Replacing a stabilizer is cheap, not the same case with a blown PCB in the outdoor unit.
Agreed. Extreme voltage fluctuations like you mentioned can damage any system. Maybe I should have called that out clearly. The statement I made was based on my past experience and I have never seen such abnormal voltages in the past.

Last edited:
A OT question, A year back my neighbours new inverter AC from LG was stuck by lighting and was completely fried. LG told that they will not replace it as the warranty does not cover lightning strike as it comes under natural disaster. Is it true that all AC companies do not cover lightning strike in their warranty?

A OT question, A year back my neighbours new inverter AC from LG was stuck by lighting and was completely fried. LG told that they will not replace it as the warranty does not cover lightning strike as it comes under natural disaster. Is it true that all AC companies do not cover lightning strike in their warranty?
Is that even a valid question? Warranty covers only manufacturing defects. How can someone even expect manufactures to replace due to flood/lighting/power surge etc.

You can install a whole house SPD, with a proper earth connection. That will help. In my house there are 4 earth rods spread out, I have installed the SPD to the output of the ELCB/RCBO. This way when there is a surge it forces the ELCB to trip.( downside is that it causes nuisance trip, due to crappy power from escoms.

All most all smps powersupply found in AC, fridge, washing machine, PC etc will have small mov, in some cases they work against a power surge from escom. In most cases it will fail against a lightning strike.
My ELCB trips even when there is a lightning strike some 500 meters to 10 meters away(direct hit to a tree), even without a SPD.

Lastly if you are going to claim warranty, the last thing you want to say the repair person or the CC is that it stopped working after a lightning strike. But if the AC has burnt marks froma direct lightning strike. No SPD or device on earth can protect it.

Went with LG MS-Q12SWZD. Delivery was a day late, installation the next day.
Additional electrical wiring required as we had no 15 Amp sockets in the room was the unexpected cost.
Cost - 37K on the bill, 32K after discounts. 1200 + GST for installation, 450 for the drain pipe.
Let's see how it goes.

Thank you all for your valuable comments.

I have purchased - Daikin - 1.5Ton invertor - 5 Star ac @ 42,800/- ( + installation charges - Stand - water drain pipe paying extra )

Model No - FTKG50TV16U.

I have other doubt also - Does it required a stabilizer because as per the daikin commitment it does not required one. please let me know which stabilizer is best also.

I have purchased - Daikin - 1.5Ton invertor - 5 Star ac @ 42,800/- ( + installation charges - Stand - water drain pipe paying extra )

Model No - FTKG50TV16U.

I have other doubt also - Does it required a stabilizer because as per the daikin commitment it does not required one. please let me know which stabilizer is best also.
Bro im using a samsung AC since last year it was clearly mentioned that i dnt need any inverter i sure modern AC's dnt need any type of stabilizer.Better u take advice from someone who has actually taken the AC just to save ur AC from voltage destablization.

Model No - FTKG50TV16U.
Congratulations !

This depends upon the place where you live. If you notice a few high voltage surges then yes, else no. I'm running multiple AC's in my house without a stabilised for 2+ years now and no issues because most of the power issues are low voltage ones. I also got a high voltage protector installed on the mains just an an extra precaution.

I've only ever had LED lights' drivers dying, not much else.

My room is of size 27x11(LxW) and on top floor, so direct sunlight all day even in the evening the setting sun is facing the 27ft wall

It gets pretty unbearable to sit in this room

Any suggestions to which cooling system I should go with ?

What is the room height? How many members in the room when ac is working? Are there any other heat sources in your room or nearby?
Also which part of India are you from?
You will atleast need 2 ton ac based on the what you mentioned.

What is the room height? How many members in the room when ac is working? Are there any other heat sources in your room or nearby?
Also which part of India are you from?
You will atleast need 2 ton ac based on the what you mentioned.
Height is 11ft

Normally it's only me in the room most of the time but I'd say at most 4 people

No there is no other heat source

I'm from Delhi

Thanks

My room is of size 27x11(LxW) and on top floor, so direct sunlight all day even in the evening the setting sun is facing the 27ft wall

It gets pretty unbearable to sit in this room

Any suggestions to which cooling system I should go with ?
A room of this size would benefit from a ceiling mounted 2 Ton cassette AC if its possible to install it. The length is the big issue. The other option is to get a 2/2.2Ton split AC mounted in the middle of the long 27ft wall.

The fastest and most efficient way to cool it would obviously be 2 separate 1/1.5 Ton AC's in opposite ends of the room but it would cost more and use more power, plus the additional piping, servicing, etc

Last edited:
Another OT question, Kolkata is literally like a sauna these days. The AC in the room I'm isolated is on practically 24*7 ( it's simply unbearable and I'm not trying to rake up a huge electricity bill)
The AC ( possibly an old Samsung AC, 1 ton, as the room is pretty small) works fine, but if I lower the temperature below 26 it makes few clicky sounds, followed by a high pitched intermittent noise for few seconds, every 5-10 minutes.
It's ok during daytime, but wakes me up many times at night. Since I'm covid positive plus there's a lockdown, it's probably not possible to call a service guy. I opened the removable front panel, the mesh like thing inside was super gross with dust etc. Cleaned it under running water. Somehow the noise stopped for a day, but it's back again.
Is it something to do with the condenser or indoor unit?
( This thing doesn't occur at 26 degrees only, anything above or below makes the noise)
Is it something to do with the settings?...the AC is so old that the screen of the remote doesn't even work. Any suggestions? Is there any factory reset setting for AC.
Sorry, if the question was stupid. I know nothing about ACs.

@saurabhan.001 as mentioned anything between 2-2.5 ton should suffice. Also don't position it very close to your ceiling since it will get hot air from the roof and will make your ac run longer. Have a reasonable gap between your ceiling and ac.

Back