Need suggestions for purchasing a new AirCon.

What's the best time to purchase ACs? To get good discounts and deals.
Need to purchase two (window) ACs, prefer long service life and good customer support.

The two Samsungs lasted for more than 10 years, requiring multiple repair and replacements in last 1-2 years. Recently got gas refilled but couldn't hold for more than a week.

What's the best time to purchase ACs? To get good discounts and deals.
Need to purchase two (window) ACs, prefer long service life and good customer support.

The two Samsungs lasted for more than 10 years, requiring multiple repair and replacements in last 1-2 years. Recently got gas refilled but couldn't hold for more than a week.
Why people are here always get gas refilled without finding leakage first?

It's actually easier to find gas leakage in windows ac than split.

Why people are here always get gas refilled without finding leakage first?

It's actually easier to find gas leakage in windows ac than split.
They did try to find leakage, but seems like they couldn’t find all. They said pressure was holding fine after refilling. But after a week, most of it leaked away. It was quite rusted too, probably too many minor leaks inside. But not a big issue since it’s quite an old ac anyway and the repair and gas filling was done for no cost.

Diwali and winter season is a good time to get a new ac with discounts.
No idea about window ac but if companies make both ac equally good irrespective of the brand, I would opt for LG.

Recently shifted home and bought Daikin AC's - 1 ton and 1.5.
1.5 ton AC had gas leakage and water drop/leak issue - called CS & it was rectified after survey and subsequent visit by technician.
Turned out one small - tiny actually, metallic washer had a very tiny cut sort of on edge, and that was removing the gas, causing frosting inside. They changed the part, and it is as good.

Have only heard good things about Daikin - as a customer myself for over a year, and from the market as well.

If you have a co./GSTIN, buy with that, get the input tax credit, and put it into your fixed assets to amortize through the depreciation system.

I just was myself searching for a new 1.5 ton split ac, and found this page https://buy.guru
Everything else aside, one thing that caught my eye is that despite all being 1.5 ton AC all had different BTU (cooling capacity) and that one whirlpool....
Update 2: the noise and water issues were sorted but behold! The AC stopped cooling completely last week. Lodged a complaint and, the leakage of gas was from inside the outdoor unit, meaning not at any joints. Whirlpool has acknowledged this as a manufacturing defect and thankfully not charging me for gas and repairs. Fingers crossed now.

Ask them to fix the leakage first before topping up the gas. Without this, gas topping is pointless as it will stilleak.
If you can play hard ball(you should), get them to change the entire ODU or the entire set. Trust me, once you start repairing, you are already depreciating the value of your AC way more early than the normal cycle.
If I remember, it's not even a year for your AC and already you have issues. Imagine what will happen 5 years down the line. Not trying to scare you, but saying the obvious.

Ask them to fix the leakage first before topping up the gas. Without this, gas topping is pointless as it will stilleak.
If you can play hard ball(you should), get them to change the entire ODU or the entire set. Trust me, once you start repairing, you are already depreciating the value of your AC way more early than the normal cycle.
If I remember, it's not even a year for your AC and already you have issues. Imagine what will happen 5 years down the line. Not trying to scare you, but saying the obvious.
Yes, they are saying they will fix first, before top up.
I am pressing for a replacement of ODU but they would like to try to fix it once, they have (sort of) promised that they will replace if the issue reoccurs.

So now one year into the AC and having issues. Seems like the 4-in-1 converter is not working. I use it to reduce the tonnage and save power when the temps have been reached and avoid the chills. Inverter models have two provisions to reduce power. One is when the AC is reaching its desired temp, it will start reducing power gradually. The other is when you reduce the tonnage to either 80,60,40%, it will have a drastic drop in power. The later one is not working it seems. My Ac would reduce power when it is reaching the temps, but sometimes, it will also increase the power, which I don't understand.
Just now while writing this post, the power dropped from 850 to 400 to 320 units as it was reaching the desired temp Then suddenly it spiked to 440-480 watts and was stable for around 10 mins or so before again dropping to 335W gradually and is sought of stable or declining further.
Any idea what could be the reason? When I use the Himalayan cool mode, it goes full power and cools the room. But when I try to reduce tonnage, it won't drop the consumption.
Has the sensor gone bad? Or the PCB? I doubt on the latter as if this would be the case, then the power consumption wouldn't have declined from its initial start value of 840W and continue running at the same wattage until it gets a trigger to shut down, behaving as a non-inverter ac.
I did give my ODU a nice bath with garden hose, while ensuring the pressure is not great to damage the sensitive fins. After that, I treated the ODU it with a conformal silicon coating to ensure water won't be in contact with the metal during rains or anytime. I didn't spray the PCB coz I am assuming it would have some sought of coating.

Explaining this to the LG technician would be difficult. The last thing I want is for them saying they want to take my ODU, or worst, my entire AC set, for further testing at their place.
Any leads into this matter... @adder or anyone.

Last edited:
It can ramp up the speed of the compressor if the sensor is reading a temperature which is higher then the set setting. Remember we only know the temperature with 1c increments for humans to understand from the display, but the micro controller unit is actually looking at the resistance value, from which the MCU will derive temperature, so lets say the true temperature is 25.9 degree but the display shows 25c and at the current compressor speed lets say the delta between set temperature and actual temperature keeps on increasing, the MCU will ramp up the speed of the compressor to get it to 25c.

All these systems work on a PID loop.

@adder Now the issue is because I cannot reduce the tonnage, it gets a lot cooler at night than what it used to be hence pretty cold. I have also noted an increase in power consumption. As mentioned in the previous post, I have done only two things, cleaned the AC with water and treated the ODU and the fins with conformal coating. I don't know which of the mentioned is causing an issue. It seems like one of the sensor's might have gone bad, hence unable to send the signal to reduce tonnage when I set it from the remote.
I have also noted that the ODU fan when it starts, it won't start smoothly. It is as if something is preventing it from running smoothly. It does struggle for 1 spin as such and then resumes to operate normally.

Any suggestions as to how can I remove that conformal coating? I have used THIS product to apply the coating. The manual mentions using https://www.amazon.in/Aerol®-Contact-Comp-Cleaner-Spray/dp/B07QF9DQVJ to remove it but I have not used such products before.

Last edited:
For the ODU, it was a conformal coating using spray. I used this I did the top part and along the rear fins, one side(where the fins are accessible) and the front(fan).
Hm, not the one I would have preferred since it's not for HVAC but you could try paint thinner to remove it.

Also, I used this instead just a couple weeks ago. Costed me around the same 450 INR mark. Not available now. I coated 3 indoor units and 1 outdoor and still have some left in single can. One of the ACs is inverter based and working fine ATM.

It is clearly mentioned on the product "Excellent Insulation Properties". What were you thinking when you sprayed it on fins?
Wanted to protect from moisture and other chemicals which is frequent in my area.
Hm, not the one I would have preferred since it's not for HVAC but you could try paint thinner to remove it.

Also, I used this instead just a couple weeks ago. Costed me around the same 450 INR mark. Not available now. I coated 3 indoor units and 1 outdoor and still have some left in single can. One of the ACs is inverter based and working fine ATM.
It already has Ocean Black coating but I wanted to add additional layer to give it more life. Is there anything in spray format?
I was to go for anti-corrosion solution from the seller, but he suggested to go for this product since it would also protect the PCB.
Using thinner to remove would be quite difficult from the fins. Something in spray format would be better. The seller on Amazon has suggested to opt for Methylene Chloride to remove the coating.

Last edited:
You can use this alkaline cleaner: https://www.amazon.in/Tetraclean-Cleaner-High-Foam-Alkaline/dp/B09XV45SYD/

Don't go for Acidic or Neutral version of it as those are corrosive and useless respectively.
You can dilute the solution in 1:3 ratio as well and use it. I'm not sure if this or anything else you do would damage the already good and sufficient (I must say) Ocean black coating. You really didn't need to do any coating on it TBH but what's done is done.

I have not used it personally but seen some videos about it. I'd advise caution.

The coating is silicon based, so the only way it could be removed is to use either a chlorinated hydrocarbon or a methylene chloride. Both are hazardous from health perspective. I primarily coated the protective covering of ODU so that water could be wicked away and that the onset of corrosion on ODU is delayed as much as possible. Since corrosion is cancer, if it starts at one part, it would spread to other parts too with time. I did not coat the PCB.
Since, the real issue is with the sensor(I am assuming since the compressor slows down when the set temp is being reached but if I use the 4-in-1 mode it won't slow down, so something is preventing the signal to reach from the remote control to the PCB), would there be any issue if I call the LG guy? I mean how would the LG guy know what I have done. The only way the sensor or whatever part could be damaged is through use of water for cleaning or by spraying conformal on the fins and in the process damaging something internally. Still don't know how something can be damaged from what I mentioned.
One thing is observed today was there was considerable dry dust accumulated which i dusted off using a soft paintbrush. Don't know if the coating had anything to do with dirt not allowing to stick to fins(the main reason why I coated it in the first place). Only time will tell.

Any idea how much LG charges for the visit?

Last edited:
Back