New audio system...

@chaos

The picture quality is coming very good on the TV...

you are saying abt upsamples to 720p....which dvd player supports that.

I am using component output to the TV

@Chaos -- So basically, what you are saying is that a Plasma/LCD TV with HDTV support is useless without a DVD player similar to the one you posted ??

And if so, then that obviously means, we still need to have HD movies on DVDs. Which are not available now. And which wont be available until Blu-Ray or HD DVD become more popular.

So, HDTV is just a marketing gimmick uptil now

These are upscalers for existing DVDs not bluray/HD-DVD. They work in the digital domain and the output is much much better than the streteched 480i/480p produced by the TV itself. These players are for SD content not HD content. HDTV is not a marketing gimmick if you get HDTV signal like in the US. In India, its basically useless. Everything it does can be achieved by a normal TV for a fraction of the price. Infact IMHO an HDTV looks worse with an SD signal than a normal TV. I'm talking from my experience of using a 50" NEC Plasma at our office. NEC is supposed to be one of the best for plasma TVs.

So, tomorrow, if I marry Vijay Mallya's daughter, and I get myself one of the plasma screens, I need to buy one these upscalers to truly experience HDTV...right ??

For Mallya's son-in-law, this is the scaler to buy :eek:hyeah:
1002refimg.2.jpg

Looked at purely as a black box, the Teranex performs the same operations as any number of video processors: deinterlacing, scaling, selectable aspect ratios, and detail enhancement. It has both video and film modes, the latter with 3:2 pulldown recognition.
One feature of the Teranex is, to our knowledge, unique among video processors: color space conversion. The HDX Cinema can correct electronically for the slightly imprecise phosphors used (for good reasons) in all CRTs, rather than relying on the color filters employed in some other projectors. The upside: no light lost to the filters. The downside: the color correction applies only to standard-definition sources upconverted by the Teranex. Future updates are in the works that will provide the Teranex with the ability to color-correct HD sources as well.

Features and performance aside, I could tell from the Teranex's sheer size—not to mention its current draw of 9–11 amps and the wind-machine racket it makes (it must be located in a room separate from the home theater space)—that something special was going on here, and to attempt to explain its full capabilities would require an article longer than this review. The Teranex is an outgrowth of capabilities first developed for the military, and originally had to perform such feats as recognizing a missile launch registering on only a single pixel of a large video display. It was declassified only a few years ago. It processes a 480i source virtually down to the pixel level, and its main boards contain a total of 75,000 microprocessors on 75 large chips. No one familiar with electronic technology, and the realities of limited-quantity manufacturing for military and professional video applications, will wonder why this product costs as much as it does. Nevertheless, during the review period, Teranex was soliciting input about desired features for subsequent models. My suggestion: a price of $2000. Yeah, right.

Teranex HDX Cinema MX video processor
Input formats: 480i60, 576i50
Output formats: multiple rates, including 720p23.98, 720p59.94, 1080i59.94, 1080p23.98
Video inputs/outputs: 2 each standard-definition SDI, 2 each high-definition SDI
Audio inputs/outputs: 4 each AES/EBU
Dimensions: 19" x 5.25" x 25" (WxHxD)
Weight: 38 lbs
Warranty: 1 year, parts & labor
Price: $49,500 (as reviewed)

Chaos said:
^^50K lol... thats something probably even mallya can't afford :p

:rofl: Of course he can!!! that guy owns upwards of a 100 cars!!! :O :O I kid you not.

Many of the cars he owns are among the rarest and most expensive vintage cars.

But anyway let us stop with the Mallya discussions :p

@Zhop ---- That is a projector right??

Somehow, I dont like projectors. I prefer having a proper Plasma/LCD TV.... dont ask why. I know projectors sometimes give better picture quality than plasma but I just feel that way....

rather than relying on the color filters employed in some other projectors.
This sentence confused me ....... The rest of that passage was greek and latin to me.... I read that sentence and assumed it was a projector.

Chaos said:
Yup... me, hunter, my brother and sandy.

sad........ i wasnt there :(

where do u stay chaos? invite me over re...... :p i do an awesome job at cleaning floors and stuff.... so your room will get a make over and i can enjoy the music...... i wanna see how "good" audio sounds.......

Chaos said:
Just bought Jamo S408 floorstanders + NAD C320BEE integrated amp :D. Will come tomorrow.... just can't wait for them to arrive :p.
Not meaning to thread steal or OT :) , but could you point me in the general direction of any shops or places I could buy a similar setup.

Back