New PSP

Just bought my PSP.

Went to Ninja Traders first. Told them I want a FW<2.80. He says sure, I take the piece, test it , run video and game demo. Then I just check once and the FW is 2.81. He gets out two more systems. One is 2.81 and another is 2.71 with dead pixel. Another he takes out from inside, it looks delta used (not sure, just my guess) but it has 2.71 SE-B installed. So didn't buy at Ninja Traders.

Prices at Ninja Traders
PSP- 8400/-
Logitech Playgear Case - 300/-
PSP Screen Protector (Hori? Not sure) - 150/-
PSP USB cable/charger cable (Out of stock, but will get it he says) - 150/-

Finally I bought from Alpha. First sytem they picked out - FW 2.71. I asked about dead pixels, they say they themselves check while buying. The prices are as follows.

Prices at Alfa
PSP - 8350/-
Logitech Playgear Case (Black out of stock, had to buy white) - 195/-
PSP Screen Protector (Some co. called Screenguard) - 415/- (Didn't buy)
PSP USB cable/charger cable - 95/-

The deal clincher - Alfa gave me the Demo disk along with the system. All the other sellers removed it. As everyone knows, demo disc is important (to run .isos easily :p)

I will now wait for my Sandisk 4gb card (getting here at the end of the month.) and then downgrade to 1.50 and install 3.03 OE-C.

Thanks to everyone for the help in this thread.

PS: What other demos run on FW 2.71? Am playing Loco Rocodemo right now.

I didn't look. These places let you look before you buy.

And in these places, looking at the letter may actually be wrong. (The boxes are not sealed, so they may have removed and updated the system at some time to demo to some customer who didn't buy)

If you are buying from an authorised Sony Dealer, the list is as follows. (Not sure, found on some other forum.)

A = 1.50
B = 1.51
C = 1.52
D = 1.52 Unconfirmed (multiple version reports)
E = 1.52
F = 2.00
G = 2.01
H = 2.50
I = 2.60
J = 2.60 Unconfirmed (multiple version reports)
K = 2.71 Unconfirmed (multiple version reports)
L = 2.80
M = 3.00 Unconfirmed (multiple version reports)
N = 3.01
O = 3.02
P = 3.03
I am suggesting you not go by this because, in NInja traders, they showed me a box that said L, claimed it had 2.71 but in reality had 2.81.

Hope that helped.

I had the option to buy in the US, but didn't buy for two reasons.

1) Didn't want to risk firmware using letters.

2) Dead Pixels. There are reports that Sony officially does not accept/replace you PSP unless it has more than 5 Dead Pixels. (I have a DS with one bad pixel. Trust me, there are times you notice it. Especially during opening sequences. If you notice it in the DS, think how bad it will be with the PSP's screen.)

US price = 170$+~5$ tax = 175$ = 175*43.5 = 7600/-
Alfa Price = 8350/-

(And if you plan to run homebrew, warranty doesn't matter)

Nope. This is the core pack.

Core Pack - Rs 8350/- in Alfa (170$ in the US)
PSP
Charger
Demo Disc

Value Pack - Rs 10350/- in Alfa (200$ in the US)
PSP
Charger
32MB memory stick
PSP Headphones w/t remote
Pouch
Soft Cloth

whatsinaname said:
Core Pack - Rs 8350/- in Alfa (170$ in the US)

PSP

Charger

Demo Disc

Dude, Congrats on ur purchase......How did u check for da Dead Pixel on the psp ? How much and where are u gettin ur 4GB MEM-Stick from ? U aint buyin the Headphones for it ?

TheDevil said:
Dude, Congrats on ur purchase......How did u check for da Dead Pixel on the psp ? How much and where are u gettin ur 4GB MEM-Stick from ? U aint buyin the Headphones for it ?

There are some images on the net that help check LCD screens. Google for "LCD test patterns". I loaded the images onto a mem stick and went. This is usually to check for contrast/viewing angles/gamma etc. Dead pixels themselves are easy to spot. Just take different images of simgle colors (different colors obviously)

I paid about 70$ for my 4gb card. From www.buy.com. Right after I bought it, it fell by another 10$ I think. I am not getting headphones. I won't be using the PSP for music. And for videos and all, I have other earbuds.

Paid via google checkout (google checkout is officially functional in India now. Use it, it's brilliant), but got it delivered to a US address. Somone I know is coming here at the end of the month.

It has a browser and all ?

I also remember reading an article about the PSP playing music "wifi-ed" from ur PC on any speaker set u plug it with ?

whatsinaname said:
Just bought my PSP.

Went to Ninja Traders first. Told them I want a FW<2.80. He says sure, I take the piece, test it , run video and game demo. Then I just check once and the FW is 2.81. He gets out two more systems. One is 2.81 and another is 2.71 with dead pixel. Another he takes out from inside, it looks delta used (not sure, just my guess) but it has 2.71 SE-B installed. So didn't buy at Ninja Traders.

Prices at Ninja Traders
PSP- 8400/-
Logitech Playgear Case - 300/-
PSP Screen Protector (Hori? Not sure) - 150/-
PSP USB cable/charger cable (Out of stock, but will get it he says) - 150/-

Finally I bought from Alpha. First sytem they picked out - FW 2.71. I asked about dead pixels, they say they themselves check while buying. The prices are as follows.

Prices at Alfa
PSP - 8350/-
Logitech Playgear Case (Black out of stock, had to buy white) - 195/-
PSP Screen Protector (Some co. called Screenguard) - 415/- (Didn't buy)
PSP USB cable/charger cable - 95/-

The deal clincher - Alfa gave me the Demo disk along with the system. All the other sellers removed it. As everyone knows, demo disc is important (to run .isos easily :p)

I will now wait for my Sandisk 4gb card (getting here at the end of the month.) and then downgrade to 1.50 and install 3.03 OE-C.

Thanks to everyone for the help in this thread.

PS: What other demos run on FW 2.71? Am playing Loco Rocodemo right now.

Hey are you sure you got Logitech Playgear case for 195?? I recently bought a PSP and looking forward to buy it.

so the best fw for the psp and the way to do it is
downgrade to 1.50 and install 3.03 OE-C.

which fw models psp am i safe in buying for the above procedure

p.s.

isit possible 2 charge the psp via usb and transfer content @ same time ?
if so how much for that cable?
are 4gb n 8gb media available , if so prices n authenticity in mumbai?

Only 4GB are available till now...you want authencity go to Sony World & purchase....else where u wont find anytrustworthy MSPD's..also the genuine cards are around 5.5 - 6k....they are available in Alfa...so can chk dat out also.....please take warranty with it.....atleast 1yr warranty....

Back