Nokia 5230 listed for 8.5k in ebay

Striker10 said:
The 5800 has Wifi and Dual Stero speakers and comes with a 8Gb card in its package. If you don't want the above, then 5230/5233 makes alot of sense. VFM package indeed :D

We save almost 3.5k
And also have chance to get a better microSD card than the one provided by nokia :)
wish they didnt provide headset to further reduce costs :bleh:

v.Na5h said:
We save almost 3.5k
And also have chance to get a better microSD card than the one provided by nokia :)
wish they didnt provide headset to further reduce costs :bleh:

well whatever we speculate , i am just still confused on 5230 story , 5233 comes 1k less and just 3g is not there :S, if this is the case then 5233 is best vfm

hiviky2212 said:
well whatever we speculate , i am just still confused on 5230 story , 5233 comes 1k less and just 3g is not there :S, if this is the case then 5233 is best vfm

u may feel like that now
but wen 3g becomes mainstream and tarriff prices become dirt cheap then u will repent :(

v.Na5h said:
u may feel like that now
but wen 3g becomes mainstream and tarriff prices become dirt cheap then u will repent :(

For that to happen will probably take another 12-18 months. Who here on TE keeps their phone for that long?
Plus, I can guarantee that you'll have something equivalent to a 5800 in the 7-8K price range by the end of the year.

I don't think the 5233 has GPS. It might have A-GPS that uses a data connection but a GPS chip seems unlikely. Anyone with a 5233 care to confirm?

^^ w00t , A-GPS is simply Assisted GPS , the phone still has to have a GPS chip , also A-GPS >> GPS

A-GPS (Assisted-GPS), on the other hand, was developed to enhance the performance of GPS. This is especially useful in environments where the GPS chip may have difficulty in getting a satellite signal, such as an urban canyon, or places where there is too much overhead obstruction. What A-GPS does is it leverages on an intermediary called an Assistant Server which provides information on cell ID or other data to help the device identify the right satellites to connect to. This shortens the time needed for a location lock although certain A-GPS solutions require an active connection to a cell phone network.

manu1991 said:
^^ w00t , A-GPS is simply Assisted GPS , the phone still has to have a GPS chip , also A-GPS >> GPS
Nope, you're mistaken. I know a couple of SE phones that do not have a GPS chip on board, yet have AGPS functionality for use by apps like Google Maps etc.
Having a GPS chip on-board saves on unnecessary costs of a data connection. Plus, head to some place remote where there is no cell phone tower and you will need a GPS chip to keep going since the AGPS isn't going to return any coordinates.

@harryneopotter:
If you do have a 5233, could you please run a simple test? Go to the GPS options and uncheck any option for AGPS. Then see if you can get a signal lock to pinpoint your location. That should confirm whether it has a GPS chip on board.

gforce said:
Nope, you're mistaken. I know a couple of SE phones that do not have a GPS chip on board, yet have AGPS functionality for use by apps like Google Maps etc.

Having a GPS chip on-board saves on unnecessary costs of a data connection. Plus, head to some place remote where there is no cell phone tower and you will need a GPS chip to keep going since the AGPS isn't going to return any coordinates.

@harryneopotter:

If you do have a 5233, could you please run a simple test? Go to the GPS options and uncheck any option for AGPS. Then see if you can get a signal lock to pinpoint your location. That should confirm whether it has a GPS chip on board.

Head to the nokia site and download the user guide for the 5233. You will see the diagram of where the bluetooth,GPS antenna and the gsm antenna has been kept inside the phone. I think that kinda confirms the gps module for the phone , don't you think :)

There is no mention of 5233 on the Nokia site.....thats strange....is 5233 a separate model or just updated 5230.....i cant find anything on the phone on any other mobile sites also....eg. gsmarena etc.... :huh::huh:

ideaguy said:
There is no mention of 5233 on the Nokia site.....thats strange....is 5233 a separate model or just updated 5230.....i cant find anything on the phone on any other mobile sites also....eg. gsmarena etc.... :huh::huh:

5233 is exactly like 5230 but doesnt have 3G. That's it :hap2: . You can view the model in nokia support site

Striker10 said:
Head to the nokia site and download the user guide for the 5233. You will see the diagram of where the bluetooth,GPS antenna and the gsm antenna has been kept inside the phone. I think that kinda confirms the gps module for the phone , don't you think :)

Yes, you are right that it does have a GPS module but is it accessible to the user? There is absolutely no mention of the GPS or maps features in the 5233's user guide. Do you think Nokia's content writers were incompetent enough to forget to write about these features if they were present?

Here are screen shots of the index of contents from the latest user guides for the 5230 and 5233:

5230:

5230.png

5233:

5233.png

See any difference?

I'm not trying to stir up a debate but until someone can really confirm that there is a standalone GPS chip in the phone, I will remain a bit skeptical.

gforce said:
Having a GPS chip on-board saves on unnecessary costs of a data connection..
What ? That doesnt make sense , A-GPS means that using a network signal your GPS position can be more accurately determined even inside a house , tunnel etc. , conventional GPS needs to lock to atleast 3 satellites before your position is determined , this gets eliminated in A-GPS , Nokia N95 had a firmware update where one of the features was support for A-GPS , that didnt mean that the GPS chip disappeared . My P320 has a SirfStar-III GPS Chip and if i use A-GPS , it locks much faster than if i dont .

Google Maps has a feature wherein if your phone doesnt have GPS , it estimates your position using the nearest cellphone tower , I have seen that in E63 , that is NOT AGPS , and if some company claims it to be , it is misrepresentation .

gforce said:
Yes, you are right that it does have a GPS module but is it accessible to the user? There is absolutely no mention of the GPS or maps features in the 5233's user guide. Do you think Nokia's content writers were incompetent enough to forget to write about these features if they were present?
Here are screen shots of the index of contents from the latest user guides for the 5230 and 5233:
5230:
5230.png

5233:
5233.png

See any difference?

I'm not trying to stir up a debate but until someone can really confirm that there is a standalone GPS chip in the phone, I will remain a bit skeptical.
woooo :eek:hyeah:, gforce , u have almost sealed the match :hap2:

abbY said:
I HAVE ONE QUESTION: What is the price for a 4GB microsd card ? I am being quoted Rs500 here in mumbai.

Get a 8 GB one will cost u 850rs(After Good amount of bargain)
Be sure to get a class 4 one

Back