Nokia 5230 listed for 8.5k in ebay

harryneopotter said:
yea .. it seems like nokia has replaced 5230 by 5233, i visited 3 dealers yesterday (hotspot, nokia priority included) and they all said that 5230 is no more available. So got my self a white 5233 last night for 7350/-. :)
You know you could've gotten it off ebay for ~6.4K. :)

@ Praks: Dude, i said 5233 DOES have GPS.

@ Dexter: Performance is good enough, but i havent installed any appz/games yet, so cant say much. and this is my first Symbian phone (previous all phones S40), so cant really compare.

Someone on forum said this one

5230: 3.2" screen, 3G, no WiFi, GPS, 2MP cam and no flash, no mSD in the package

5233: 3.2" screen, no 3G, no WiFi, no GPS, 2MP cam and no flash, no mSD in the package

I havent tested the GPS yet (TBH), but there is a MAPS icon in the main menu, and LOCATION app in applications. So i think it should have GPS :p

harryneopotter said:
I havent tested the GPS yet (TBH), but there is a MAPS icon in the main menu, and LOCATION app in applications. So i think it should have GPS :p

Well, it could merely have A-GPS and not a GPS transreceiver chip on-board. Uncheck the A-GPS data in the options menu and see if you can get a location lock.

If the phone does have a GPS chip, could you record the time it takes to get a cold boot signal lock? It'd be interesting to see if the 5233 uses the same satnav chip and algorithms as the 5800.

In mumbai at priority dealers it is still available. This is like amd stopping their phenom 2 550 because they can easily be unlocked.(meaning they are more vfm).

why did they stop it? any problems?

I have found none so far!

In mumbai at priority dealers it is still available. This is like amd stopping their phenom 2 550 because they can easily be unlocked.(meaning they are more vfm).

yeah right,thats true!

Srirama said:
why did they stop it? any problems?
I have found none so far!

yeah right,thats true!

Mate,

I completely agree with you, I bought this 3 days ago ! no issues uptill now. Can't know from where all this talk of Issues with nokia 5230 started from ? Between the stock for same is freely avilable at most places i tried with @ Hyderabad.

There's something definitely fishy goind around with the news surrounding the phone.
Why would nokia want to spoil its chances,of having a mobile bestseller in india?
Given a budget <=10k(2k"ish" lesser),nokia 5230 rules!! :clap:
Thats the budget of the bulk of prospective mobile phone buyers..

http://www.ganpatinews.com/2010/01/27/nokia-5233-copy-nokia-5230-3g-72283

Even some mobile phone retail shop-keepers say that Nokia must have got intention to replace Nokia 5230 with Nokia 5233. And some of the dealers say that Nokia 5230’s supply has been stopped & Nokia 5233 is only available at the market..

Nokia hasn’t officially spoken anything about this till now.

Hope they never will! :tongue:

Hey has anybody tested 3G on this phone

I think if something has to be wrong in this phone then it definately has to be 3G coz all of us has used it for almost a month now and everything else is fine

v.Na5h said:
Hey has anybody tested 3G on this phone

I think if something has to be wrong in this phone then it definately has to be 3G coz all of us has used it for almost a month now and everything else is fine

Thats what i also thought and checked 3g sim , it worked flawlessly , used whole day so can say that 3g is not the issue if there is any issue to stop the production

If 3G is also working,then only possible conclusion..is not to have competition with its flagship model nokia 5800 XM.

most people would settle for the 5230 for the price tag and features,rather than going for a 5800 XM

Srirama said:
If 3G is also working,then only possible conclusion..is not to have competition with its flagship model nokia 5800 XM.
most people would settle for the 5230 for the price tag and features,rather than going for a 5800 XM

Been using this phone for the last few weeks. And by using, i really do mean "USING".

GPS locks(using the latest QVI thingy did help things) fast, camera is decent enough for a 2MP(waiting a while before clicking improves results a bit as stated above).

Transfered tons of stuff to and from the phone/memory card(8GB class2), all snappy. Encoded videos and played them for hours. Encoded a few 720p files to 320x240 .wmv(phone can play them) with DVD quality(~2MBPS bitrate) using windows media encoder 9(2nd High def. preset) and to my surprise it still manages to play them w/o a hitch.

Used a Japanese text support app. that used to make a previous N95 with a dual 3xxMhz ARM11 crawl and it seems to have no problems on this phone's single core processor running at 4xx.

Audio quality is... amazing, and I have used my share of music-enabled phones.

Used the internet constantly for a few hours, no problems.
The screen is a lot more sensitive than i expected. The double touch is annoying at first, but as you get used to it it sort of makes sense. Kinetic scrolling works flawlessly and all across the board.
As far as I'm concerned, this phone is almost w/o faults at this price point.

I suppose the camera could be better, and stereo speakers would've been nice, it could've been built a bit better, the battery cover's surface particularly feels a bit cheap to touch, doesn't catch fingerprints though... bah, I'm just nitpicking really, I got this thing for under 8k, i don't think any more value is possible.

Inspite of constant (ab)use, the battery easily gave me 12 or so hours. Using PL-30's and an E3 amp.(remember to select "headphones" instead of "line out" when using an amp., it will be LOUD, i nearly ruined my eardrums despite turning the volume to 20% on the phone), i can easily go 2 days w/o the need to charge with a couple of hours of music everyday and a few calls.
This phone will make my sis. really happy, to whom i shall soon hand it over ^^.

Why is Nokia cancelling it(If true)?

Srirama said:

The 5800 has Wifi and Dual Stero speakers and comes with a 8Gb card in its package. If you don't want the above, then 5230/5233 makes alot of sense. VFM package indeed :D

Back