WP Nokia Lumia 520 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatsapp on WP8 is a joke! A huge battery hogger. And not all features :(
I am still waiting for new version to come out.

God damn internal storage got filled. Wondering if I should reset or what? Added a SD card with almost no use :|[DOUBLEPOST=1369215866][/DOUBLEPOST]Any one got covers? Pics please?

^ MSFT announced that they are aware of the "Other storage" issue, and a patch is coming soon.
There's a tool in Windows store named "Shrink Storage" - Few users (say 50%) have been able to claim back some of the memory with this app (you can check the comments in there). But for me (in the other 50%) it din't work.

Maybe you can give it a try!!

^ MSFT announced that they are aware of the "Other storage" issue, and a patch is coming soon.
There's a tool in Windows store named "Shrink Storage" - Few users (say 50%) have been able to claim back some of the memory with this app (you can check the comments in there). But for me (in the other 50%) it din't work.

Maybe you can give it a try!!
Yes I tried, released 8mb :|
Thanks will try.

Actually how does the "Other" storage gets filled up?
Is it because of installing and uninstalling countless apps?
Or some temp data being stored by even the basic apps that come with stock phone ...
Or is it due to multimedia ?

Or some temp data being stored by even the basic apps that come with stock phone ...

Temp data, incomplete downloads etc etc. No particular explanation. iPhone has this issue too and only solution there is restore the phone.

As to my knowledge, it's not because of "Multimedia".
Whatever you download (.xap files) from the store, gets add to the "Other" before installation as a temp space. Sadly, the space is not clearing up after the installation of the app. So, even if you install an app from the SD card, it will be copied to the system memory (in this case, OTHER) first, and then the installation process kicked in.

Check this comment in here.
http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/13/reduce-other-storage-wp8#comment-828386386

Sadly there's no FIX for this, as of now. It's a sin that WP users have to burden (hope it will be fixed quickly).[DOUBLEPOST=1369290730][/DOUBLEPOST]
WhatsApp is a pain on WP8 and +1 to what @Striker10 says
Very true. Sometimes a Whatsapp notification appears on top screen, and the live tile will say '1'. But, if you open the notification , you won't find the recent post you got. You've to wait for few mins, for the recent comment to show up.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Other category consists mostly of various operating system caches (temporary files), Maps and 3rd party application data. Also email, calendar, contacts and Office application data counts towards this figure, but are typically smaller contributors.

The figure shows how much content, downloaded through normal use of the phone, remains available for re-use. For example, when the phone is used to browse the Internet, or install applications and application updates, the caches related to these functions grow in size correspondingly. Another contributor to growth of this category is Maps data, whether it is downloaded on-demand when browsing around in Nokia Maps or when you download the maps of entire countries or other regions for off-line use. Furthermore, Photos, Music and Video create an index that grows with number the files located in Phone memory and in any inserted micro-SD card.

Check this thread out for more on this. http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/What-is-quot-Other-quot-under-Storage/td-p/1664080
and M$ promise: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...er-storage-issue-with-windows-phone-8-1135249
Temporary workaround from the Corporate Vice President for Windows Phone Program Management and Design Joe Belfiore: https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/statuses/307909297231253504

Guys, am gonna buy Nokia Headset WH-205 (Black) for L520, coz the bundled WH-108 is not that much good.​
Can anybody confirm whether WH-205 is compatible with L520 or not?​

Hello everyone,

a tech impaired friend of mine got the Lumia 520 recently, and has asked me (over chat) how to connect it to the PC to transfer files (mp3s, videos, etc.) I have never handled a Windows 8 phone before, i told him to just connect it to the PC with the provided data cable. He said he tried to go too "Get Windows Home App" but that isnt working. I dont have a clue what that means.

Is there any particular way to connect Lumia 520 as a mass storage device? I just want to copy files into it from the PC.

There is no particular way, just simply connect your Lumia 520 to the USB port. Then check in the "my computer" directly for any mass storage(or removeable drives) detected.

@mitraark It's the same as connecting any USB drive. Make sure that mass storage option is selected in the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back