WP Nokia Lumia 520 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also for the fact that now not so premium brands are out with android handsets.

So carrying a jellybean phone means nothing at all now. For a commoner who prefers his /her phone bone stock widows phone along with nokia is its driving force.
Personally i do not like the tile menu

but then There are people who use their phone only for calling ,facebook and whatsapp such phone do provide them decent battery as compared to the similar segment androids.

Why suddenly people want to give up on android ?

There are few points for me not liking Android that much. Well it all started with iOS. I got iPad 1st gen for me last monsoon, its doing most of the things which i was doing earlier with iPod Touch + reading PDFs. I liked optimization of few apps on iOS compared to Android. Example Temple Run. It would run properly on my iPad 1st Gen with just 256MB RAM with music playing in back but not on my Galaxy Ace, which was just a year older & i had bought it for 13.5K nor properly on Explorer with ARM v7 processor and 512 RAM. I know well that Ace has weak hardware but hey thats just a year old phone and I have put good bucks on it. With poor battery life from Ace I moved to HTC Explorer. Screen size decreased but battery increased to the extent that i could use my phone whole day atleast.

At this point i felt getting an iPhone 4 or 4S by putting 20K. I m ok with all the Apple restrictions as I know what I m using and expecting from my device. Then there comes WP8, I started readin on it. I found its restrictions somehat similar to Apple. But when phones were out specs which are offered on price point I was drooled over it. Since for other use my iPad suffice and very attractive price point from a very good manufacturer, I set my eyes on Lumia 520. No Android from good brand at this price has similar specs. As someone rightly said whole price point negates unavailability of sufficient apps. For me that is ohk to as I use mainly my phone for Whatsapp, GMail, browsing and few calls. For Gaming, casual though, PDF reading and office work (Pages and Keynote) I m happy with my iPad.

Same might not be true for everyone. Just my views and since I know how much I need and how I will get, I m happy with Lumia 520.

P.S. My post might sound weird but thats the best way I could put my feelings over devices. No fanboy of any camp :p

Windows phone 8 feels really good. Its fresh, and its pretty too. Almost all major apps are there and look much better on WP8 than they do on android. Plus there is a lot of confusion in Android with Roms and fragmentation. No one rom has it all.

Its like linux all over. There are different flavors but none satisfy you completely.

That is a good outlook towards the current scenario. With androids what is happening i believe is that since the battery technology is not that advanced today, manufacturers are just increasing screen size to fit in more battery to say that their phones have high capacity battery. Rather than that they should concentrate on making android efficient and reduce fragmentation so people don't have to resort to buying large screen phones only to get better battery life. I am sure there is a sizeable segment of people who detest the huge screens. In fact 4.3" - 4.5" or so is probably the sweet spot many people might be looking at.
WP is a fresh OS and also gives a premium feel of the device. 520 even at under 10k appears really good and yes no android can come with this feel at this price.

Also people want i believe premium feel as well as capable OS which probably android is not giving at a good price point. HTC One looks very premium and i am sure it will sell very good. Hope battery tech improves else manufacturers (same who is creating mega and all ) are going to create 20" screen phones just to put in larger battery to compensate an inefficient OS.

I have a feeling that eventually if nothing changes drastically on android front in future and fragmentation us reduced, people are eventually going to get fed up of the OS mainly because you have no idea if the 35K phone you are gonna buy will play the game you like properly or not. Or you will have a lag free experience if you fork 40K for a flagship.

Guys, i have bought his phone for my sis, but for the life of me i'm not able to set a custom ringtone with the steps given in both Nokia and MS websites.

Im trying to use a Tamil song [no DRM], at 256 CBR and it runs to 4.34 Mins.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Did you try putting the files in the Ringtones folder (in the internal storage)?

Seriously.. I used 2 Droids, and moved onto Lumia 520.. Sure there are a few gripes, regarding apps. But it gives me superb audio quality, best battery backup(1-1.5 days with WiFi ON all time, and listening to music half the time), good cam clarity, and no hangs! Sure it gets stuck at times, all I Have to do is hit the back key, and open it again..
Overall love it!! :)

Guys, i have bought his phone for my sis, but for the life of me i'm not able to set a custom ringtone with the steps given in both Nokia and MS websites.

Im trying to use a Tamil song [no DRM], at 256 CBR and it runs to 4.34 Mins.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Found a way to add custom ringtone...
when i connected my lumia to my laptop(win 8) it automatically downloaded an app named "Windows Phone". There is an option to add music, video, pic etc to phone from pc/laptop... there is an option to add custom ringtone too...

addringtone.jpg

My brother bought a Lumia 620 and i totally understand now why people are giving android a miss
it has nothing to do with Android really, it has everything to do with the Build quality and overall quality being offered at the 10k bracket by the 520 and 620
AFAIK there is no android device sub 10k that is offering the Build quality and assurance of after sales like Nokia's

People are preferring the 520 not because its windows phone or its not android , but because its a quality device at a budget
that alone negates the unavailability of apps and the closed nature of WP over android

although when i do buy a phone myself, it would have to be Android, i personally get confused with Windows Phone interface.

I think apart from the points you have mentioned, its also because WP8 has given the basic freedom to the users that WP7.x and iOS lack: Bluetooth file transfer, mass storage mode for drag-drop pics/music/videos etc.. So apart from a file manager and radio (which will come via software update), WP8 provides all the basic functions that an average Indian consumer needs. And when you consider freebies like 3 months of Nokia Music subscription with unlimited official songs for download, there simply is no competition for 520/620 from any other manufacturer. If they would have included LED flash - which is used as torch by many, it would have been icing on the cake.
I feel Lumia 520 has the potential to single-handedly increase WP8 share by few percentage points.

@R0H!T

Radio via software update ? :confused:
Is it that the phone has an FM Chip inside it but no app to use that?

If it is some sort of streaming radio then it is not actually a radio (from Indian customer perspective).

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I had read that Lumia 720 and above has hardware support for FM, but that feature is not currently available in WP8. But Lumia 520 and 620 are out of luck.

Its rumoured that all Lumia phones have a dormant Radio FM chip that they intend to activate in a future update. And makes sense. Nokia's 1.2k phones come with radio too. Given an option they'd spoil you with that essential feature.

The best feature has to be the Nokia Music Store that has a vast library of DRM free music. The service is free for one year after it is registered and has an insane library. Each song is hardly a couple of MBs in size (not sure what the bitrate is because Foobar doesn't say much about this aspect!) and yet doesn't lack SQ.

Who listens to fm these days?

There are sizeable number of people who do. I still hope apple some day puts FM on iPhone. They did with iPod nano then they can very well do with iPhone. Just that they do not want to.
It isn't like i don't watch sports channels so no one else watches.

Who listens to fm these days?

Valid point actually. I think people who listen to local radio are mostly in third world countries. No offense! :rolleyes:

With 3G and online radio, local radio has become a thing of the past. Well, sort of.

Valid point actually. I think people who listen to local radio are mostly in third world countries. No offense! :rolleyes:

With 3G and online radio, local radio has become a thing of the past. Sort of.

3G cost at 250 Rs for 1 GB is still expensive as per me and n/w is still spotty as i travel. I pay 700 Rs per month for unlimited wired internet at home. I know this may not be valid comparisons but still it is one.
Oh so in that case S4 is meant for 1st world countries while S3, Note 2 and the ones with radio are all meant for India (3rd world).
The reason samsung had released the international version here which has FM is because there is a sizeable number of people who use it. And since internet penetration in US etc is far more and better data plans they usually have separate US versions which do not have FM radio. And yes they know those people there pay for music.
Also if person X has access to (unrestricted) internet everywhere in office and on the road and home that does not mean everyone else has.

Oh so in that case S4 is meant for 1st world countries while S3, Note 2 and the ones with radio are all meant for India (3rd world).

Woah I was just kidding there! Notice the smiley. :p

But come to think of it, with a device like the S4, it is understood that the user has a decent data plan and honestly, without 3G/4G that device is virtually pointless.

@R0H!T

Radio via software update ? :confused:
Is it that the phone has an FM Chip inside it but no app to use that?

If it is some sort of streaming radio then it is not actually a radio (from Indian customer perspective).

Yes, there is FM chip inside all current generation Lumias. And MS was super lazy so did not implement it in WP8 from start. I read in some article that someone from MS WP team said they did not have "enough time" to implement it before WP8 launch! Yeah, right.. one of the biggest software companies in the world did not have time or resources to include FM radio in WP8, which was present in WP7.x btw! :D Sometimes I wonder whether MS is really serious about WP or not.

^ I had read that Lumia 720 and above has hardware support for FM, but that feature is not currently available in WP8. But Lumia 520 and 620 are out of luck.

That is not true because 520/620/720 have exact same SoC - Snapdragon S4 MSM8227

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back