Nokia N79 and N85 prices announced

@aka911 - First, thanks again for helping me when i got k750i. At that time I was a real noob as far mobiles was concerned.:rofl:

advantages of n85 over n79 :gun2:

1. Bigger and much much better screen . 2.6 "oled vs 2.4" lcd . The screen of n85 simply rocks :clap:
2. Better battery life and better quality music playback through headset
3. Dual slider. dedicated media keys which can be used while music, video, gallery , n gage gaming, camera zooming, maps etc ..
4. keypad lock key at right side is very handy. Its placed at top in n79.
5. Dual led flash of n85 has better micro optics, hence its better than dual
led flash of n79 , n96 and 5800 ex music handsets .

6. usb charging . Finally this feature is available in n series device
7. usb date transfer speeds in pc suite mode are much better than what i was getting with my n82. No idea abt how n79 does in this aspect.

8.comes with 8gb mirco sd card . n79 comes with 4gb card bundled.

I think i should make a dedicated n85 thread.

Better battery life and better quality music playback through headset

but dont all s60 fp2 phones have the same audio quality ie
n78=n79=n96=n85?????

as for usb all nokia devices now come with usb 2 as standard , so it is for sure a bonus feature

aka911 said:
but dont all s60 fp2 phones have the same audio quality ie
n78=n79=n96=n85?????

as for usb all nokia devices now come with usb 2 as standard , so it is for sure a bonus feature

From what i read through various reviews online , music quality wise

n96 > n85 > n79/n78 ..

one thing for sure is that music quality in n85 is much much better than n82 / n95 8gb .

I heard that N85's build quality is not so good & it feels somewhat flimsy! What say?

Also N79 comes with express covers of diff. colors, does'nt this land it in the category of girly mobiles?

I went to my local shop and handled the N85 for about 20 25 minutes.
My thoughts :

* The screen simply rocks!! I could only test the screen at night, but from what i saw, it is an experience of a completely different level! The colors and the richness was something to talk about.

A N81 user walked in, and as soon as he saw the screen for a few minutes, his first question was that when was N85 released and how much would his N81 go for?? :p

I compared the screen with N81 and the LG phone with the context sensitive buttons below the screen. None could even come close. They both looked so pale in comparision.
* Oh and yeah, i could also study my fingerprints :no:, that too quite easily! Even check out which prints were left earlier and which prints overlapped the older prints :bleh:
* Sliding for the keypad is pretty easy, but sliding to the other side for the multimedia keys is not as easy. Although i did not find the slider wobbly , but since i am using an E65 currently, the slider cannot even be compared with the E65 in terms of sturdyness and rough handling. With E65, i have no fear sliding with full force, doesnt feel like it is going to snap off, but with the 85, i had to observe certain caution.
* The default S60 icons looked a bit grainy and pale. Nokia should have worked on the graphics of the phone if they were intenting to ship the phone with such a fabulous screen. I wanted to try any of Flahorn's icon pack themes, but the guy would not allow me to do anything out of the usual use. The default themes were also uninspiring. Nokia really needs to work on their graphics and themes.
* Damn you Nokia, couldnt you have hidden the option to turn on the menu transitions anywhere harder like Call Barring settings and the Push To Talk settings? All it took me to find the place to turn on the menu transitions was to call up a friend and ask him to look up on the net. (Thanks Party!) If you intend to make things difficult and challenging for the user, atleast make it such that it would take a few hours of frustrating search to find out.
* The sound via the loudspeaker was not as loud as compared to my previous N73 ME or the N81 of the guy besides me. But it was not as low as the N82. Via the headphones, the sound was clear and audible, which is good for me as i cannot stand loud music.
* The ASR was not constant or easy. I could rotate the screen to horizontal orientation easily, but the screen would simply not rotate back to the vertical orientation no matter what i do!
* The phone came preloaded with around 45 videos, some music and some simply animated abstract videos. Opening the My Videos section in the Video Center took nearly 1 to 2 mintues!
* While receiving a file via bluetooth, the progress bar cannot be hidden even if you try to switch the application or the menu.
There were my views after 20 to 25 minutes of handling.
About the pics, although i agree that they would not be as good as those taken with a N82 in low light conditions, but my main use of the camera is going to be in the daylight or in ample natural light. Low light usage is pretty low, and even then, the performance is not that bad.
When comparing with the N82, except for better pics in low light conditions, is there any other plus point for the N82? expcept for the GPU based acceleration?

I personally dont find any difference between photos of n85 and n82 in bright sunlight or in good lighting conditions . asr is a bit problematic as u mentioned . Video section opens as quickly as n82 in my n85 menu .No probs there. I dont have any probs with build quality of n85 .

the front d pad part is finger print magnet, no doubt abt it.
The bluetooth part is software glitch. Most of these issues are firmware related and will be fixed for sure. Its on its initial firmware and pretty rock solid for a symbian phone :)

As i mentioned above the plus pts of n82 are xenon flash , gpu and no moving parts , its candybar.

yogi7272 said:
I personally dont find any difference between photos of n85 and n82 in bright sunlight or in good lighting conditions . asr is a bit problematic as u mentioned . Video section opens as quickly as n82 in my n85 menu .No probs there. I dont have any probs with build quality of n85 .
the front d pad part is finger print magnet, no doubt abt it.

The bluetooth part is software glitch. Most of these issues are firmware related and will be fixed for sure. Its on its initial firmware and pretty rock solid for a symbian phone :)
As i mentioned above the plus pts of n82 are xenon flash , gpu and no moving parts , its candybar.

Check out the pics taken from both N82 and N85 without flash on this page - MOBILE WORLD INNOVATION: My Nokia N85 Unboxing, 1st Impression, and Photo Comparison (gwapz style)
85 gives better color reproduction. How many videos does your video section have? How have you organised your videos?

Also, the bluetooth issue u mentioned is not there in my n85.

One major issue is i am not able to make gps work with n85. No matter what i do , i just cant get any gps lock. :mad: Just hope its not a hardware problem.:S

I have already mentioned above that i thought n85 produced more vibrant colours compared to dull colors produced by n82. Let me get my hands on my friends n82 so i can compare first hand.

yogi7272 said:
One major issue is i am not able to make gps work with n85. No matter what i do , i just cant get any gps lock. :mad: Just hope its not a hardware problem.:S

Which network are you on?

I heard that you can get locks using Airtel Live too.

alsiladka said:
Which network are you on?
I heard that you can get locks using Airtel Live too.

What has Airtel LIVE got to do with GPS? ? ?
I think u were referring to the A-GPS part.
For getting a lock using only GPS, no data connection is required. Only the map of that particular city is to be loaded into the phone.

@yogi7272 Were u trying to get a lock from inside ur room or were u on the top of ur house standing under the unobstructed sky?
Go to www.n95users.com, there they have a sub-forum called GPS under General 95. There in a sticky, a person has given a very easy method for getting a GPS lock for the 1st time quickly. I'll try to post the direct link. Before that make sure that your city map is loaded onto the memory card.

When u are comparing the display of ur phone, use a N95 8GB instead of N82, as it has a much better screen. If u can, also compare the display with that of the Nokia 6300 and SE W580i.

Thanks buddy for the link .

I dont even get gps locks at places where n82 just took 30 seconds to get locks. There is something wrong with either hardware or software. maps are loaded on the memeory card as well. I has used gps a lot on n82 ,n95 8gb hence i have fairly good idea abt it.

I have tried the above mentioned thing . The trick is that u should get signals from atleast four satellites to get initial lock . At most i have got signals from two only .

I think i might have a noob question here :)

Can you get a GPS lock, without an internet connection or the network connection? Or is a any of the connections required?

Got my N85 today, finally upgraded after 3+ years on a 6320i.

The OS is very confusing to start with, so it'll take me some time to get used to it.

Anybody know of a good torrent client I can run on this thing? I think it'll be a great 'download rig' over the WLAN (I already can surf at full ISP speeds) for night downloading, and with one card dedicated to torrents, I might be able to move files to the main machine quickly. I'm not joking.

I'm a little overwhelmed by the phone, but slowly getting my head around the basics of the menu systems. I'll post back when I come up for air.

congrats on the purchase.. That OLED screen looks killer....

google turned this up- Symtorrent-

SymTorrent | AMORG

Tell us how this goes..

Is it feasible to be using a cellphone as a download rig. Wont excess heat be a problem? .

Back