Nokia N8 Thread

RVK2488 said:
~390 on eBay

I have tried FM transmitter few times. everytime it worked well.. the distance was not more than ~3 ft in each case. i have set freequency different everytime (between 93-97)
THe one listed on ebay is not good.i got one but returned it the next day cos of faulty remote

I really like the phone. There is no lag or anything. I just find the touchscreen a bit buggy at times and I think there is some issue with the proximity sensor on mine as my calls keep getting disconnected and stuff when I am talking. The screen just doesn't go off.

Otherwise the phone is really great. Looking forward to the firmware upgrade.

Mohit said:
I really like the phone. There is no lag or anything. I just find the touchscreen a bit buggy at times and I think there is some issue with the proximity sensor on mine as my calls keep getting disconnected and stuff when I am talking. The screen just doesn't go off.

Otherwise the phone is really great. Looking forward to the firmware upgrade.
yeah the touch screen is not accurate with 3rd party applications but works perfect with Nokia appln.
One of my frnd in Pune had the proximity sensor problem... his calls would go mute while talking.... Later we realized that he holding the phone way above his ears and the screen was touching his cheeks.... The proximity sensor shd be near ur ears or skin so that it works during calls.....
Happens :)
Me too waiting for the new f/w.... no official new on it yet.....

Guys, can anybody tell me where to buy a good cover for the N8? I have tried local stores but nobody has anything decent. Looking for something like these,

Nokia N8 Cases // OtterBox.Com

Nokia India - Nokia Silicone Cover CC-1005 for Nokia N8 - Overview

Please share information about better cases/covers too :)

Also, how do we download music from the Ovi Music to a PC? I am able to download music on my device easily. But when I connected my PC, it first asked me if I wanted to register the PC. I did that. And then it asked me to install Ovi player and stuff. Is it really necessary to install Ovi player to download music on a PC?

And one more thing. Is there any app for a compass (to see accurate directions) for the N8? I had seen one on an Iphone and really liked it.

Also share what apps are you guys using. I am currently using the following:

1. F-Secure Anti-theft

2. Opera Mobile

3. Nokia Battery Monitor

4. Nimbuzz

Could not find Yahoo, MSN or Gtalk separately for the N8 on the Ovi store :mad:

An update to OVI suite is now available.. the new interface looks much better than the old one..
Mohit said:
Also, how do we download music from the Ovi Music to a PC? I am able to download music on my device easily. But when I connected my PC, it first asked me if I wanted to register the PC. I did that. And then it asked me to install Ovi player and stuff. Is it really necessary to install Ovi player to download music on a PC?

for the N8 on the Ovi store :mad:
Yes i think you need OVI player installer in order to download music, how ever i think it embeds within OVI suite so you need not specifially open OVI player for music downloading purpose.
On a side note i got this funny error message in the updated OVI suite, when i was searching for a something :eek:hyeah:
[attachment=7034:12905.attach]

Attachments

• OVI_MG.jpg
    OVI_MG.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 136
Update coming next week? Supposed to have 50 new features/updates, can't wait. They better include portrait QWERTY and a better interface for taking pictures.

Any hacks out there for this phone? Any way to mod it to get the most out of it like we have for Android. And also is there any way to install paid apps for free so that I can test them out?

for trying out paid apps just download the demo/trial version from Ovi store and test them.
If someone is able to install a paid app for free(full version) what are the chances that he will then go and buy it :)

blkrb0t said:
Any hacks out there for this phone? Any way to mod it to get the most out of it like we have for Android. And also is there any way to install paid apps for free so that I can test them out?
There is a custom firmware available on the net... google for N8 cutom firmware and you can find it.. and for the latter part, the answer is yes and the hint is self signing of apps but i would recommend buying it from OVI otherwise no one would support it and the developers would lose motivation to release more awesome stuff there.

I know piracy is bad, but I don't have enough money to try them all out. I am a student and my pocket money barely covers my needs, though my parents will get me anything reasonable if asked for, but not digital apps etc... That's the only reason I asked for, once I start earning then I'll surely buy it. Just being honest.

To be honest in turn... I also generally just download Ehmm softwares from the net for PC but when I tried some of the apps on Ovi Store I thought they were priced very reasonable.
I played the demo of Angry birds and I purchased it. 3Euros +3% conversion charges. Thats reasonable. I just was hooked up to this game and so I thought that purchasing this game is my contribution and appreciation to the developers and a way to say thanks.
But ya if it was any application that I need badly and is very expensive like above 80 to 100 $ I dont think I will buy it:p
Maybe I will look for free alternatives or then just do what we do :D
So if u like any and its priced reasonable in ur budget please buy it.

Back