Nook HD+

Earphone quality is good, Not idevice levels or so, but hte volume is very low... trying to use open earphones like pX100 at max volume you feel its pretty low...
on a closed environment, its fine.. and in ears always sounds better.
To my knowledge it doesnot use a special DAC...

I ran both CM10.1 evergreen & stock the quality is same.. (Default levels)

and while i am still browsing through a plethora of cases & screenguards for the Nook, the device was delivered to me today! let me show you some bad, bad (customary) pics:

d5ig7g3l.jpg

TLzpLFyl.jpg

FSPsUNFl.jpg

0xG6iYul.jpg

ft4VPQcl.jpg
mCgELBhl.jpg

0Kfuki6l.jpg

the model is the 32GB one; acquired for 12,390/-.
delivered before the stipulated time of 1 week by the seller ('SlideCart', on ebay.in)! well-packed! as @alekhkhanna's tab, this was also not sealed; but the innards looked pristine. some quick initial impressions:

- now THIS feels like a TAB! not as large as i was thinking it to be, but just the apt size! this is actually good for me, because i was worried about the portability-factor, one of the reasons why i initially chose the Nexus 7 over this; but not repenting it, as by that way, i got to apply some very nice discount on this purchase later. :D

- very good finish & build-quality! exudes kind of premium-quality elegance!

- brilliant screen! very vibrant, and doesn't at all look shiny and 'whitish' type like on Nexus 7. has a warm tone to it, which i personally prefer.

- reading PDFs on it is an absolute charm! even the scanned ones don't bother much now. i don't read e-zines much (and no comics), but the 'comic-mode' is just superb!

- the touch is far more responsive than on Nexus 7, and the latter's touch-response is anyway very responsive. i write that because i was using a stylus on both the screens, and the Nexus 7 managed to miss out on a lot of presses, while the Nook, barely any (plus, the well-spaced keys on the good-looking stock keyboard also helps)!

- i liked the stock UI; a good & very welcome change from the 'bland' stock Android UI! can a custom-launcher be used on the stock OS?

- felt almost equally heavy as the Nexus 7; or perhaps, slightly lighter. comfortable to hold.

- had read earlier about some tech employed in building Nook HD+, where the screen-glass is well-fit under the borders of the device, which helps in glare-reduction or something like that. seems to work.

- initially, the OS didn't seem snappy enough, unlike the Nexus 7. but later on, it felt just right. perhaps it may be due to initial start-up processes and updates and all such. however, there indeed is difference between both the tabs' processors. but what and how much does that translate to real-world usage is yet to be seen (and i don't play touch UI games).

i have now kept it back in the box, and will only take it out once i have its case & screenguard. :happy:

thanks a lot to @alekhkhanna, @phoenix844884, (and yeah, @sarthakk250193 and @prateekS too :p ), flipkart, SlideCart (why?! that's a secret, apart from the obvious ;) ), GOSF 2013, and my bank! :D

Last edited:
Grats bud.
And yeah, you can run any launcher provided you've access to Play Store (firmware 2.1.0 onwards). Latest is 2.1.1

yes, mine came with that firmware, with Play Store pre-installed. :happy:[DOUBLEPOST=1387092134][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey,can ipads screen guard be cut and used??

i think i read in another thread (the 'GO for Nook Simple Touch') that it can be used for the NST; probably for this tab as well then.

Last edited:
Hey,can ipads screen guard be cut and used??
Possibly, but keeping the corners proper will be a PITA. And you've to cut out for the "N" at the bottom. If more than 1 person is getting the Nook HD+, get one of those 3-guard pack from AMZ/Ebay and you can split the cost. I got the XtremeShield for around 1100 (pack of 3) from GEB. Specifically went for it due to good reviews and a glossy finish (matte makes the colors wash out, which is no fun while reading comics).
yes, mine came with that firmware, with Play Store pre-installed. :happy:[DOUBLEPOST=1387092134][/DOUBLEPOST]
i think i read in another thread (the 'GO for Nook Simple Touch') that it can be used for the NST; probably for this tab as well then.
Nice. You're good to go then. Check the XDA thread for Nook HD/HD+. Specifically, check for Leapinlar's thread. He outlines some cool flashes for Nook HD+, from rooting (temp/perma CWM) to only enabling the "Install from external sources" (which is not present in stock fimrware).
I highly recommend rooting (and enabling external sources) otherwise the Nook HD+ will RESET itself if you try browsing/modifying any file in the SYSTEM folder. Plus helps in sideloading apps/games not available for Nook HD+.

i am using a matte screenguard for my NHD+ cut out of an ipad screenguard (though it doesn't cover all corners properly).
I'll advise to use matte only. comics look super cool.

i am using a matte screenguard for my NHD+ cut out of an ipad screenguard (though it doesn't cover all corners properly).
I'll advise to use matte only. comics look super cool.
Won't the colors get muted with a matte guard ?

BTW, indoors, keeping the screen @ 0% brightness and then reading comics gives a feel of actually reading a book. So cool ! :p

Matte screen guards lower the contrast.It is only useful for outdoor use.
@alekhkhanna .You used a wet protector for it??I used one for nexus 4 and i swear i will never use it again.Its a rubber layer on the screen.And swipes are a PITA

Matte screen guards lower the contrast.It is only useful for outdoor use.
@alekhkhanna .You used a wet protector for it??I used one for nexus 4 and i swear i will never use it again.Its a rubber layer on the screen.And swipes are a PITA
Exactly the reason I went for a glossy one. And no, it wasn't the wet type. Simply cleaned the screen and applied it carefully, taking out the bubbles as I went. Never really had trouble applying any screenguard till now, but then I haven't used the wet ones (don't really strike my fancy).
yes, this is what i do.
for me comfort-to-eyes is most important thing.
+1. Nighttime reading is a cinch with zero brightness.[DOUBLEPOST=1387097290][/DOUBLEPOST]HD+ charger (charger + cable) is only 12.5$ @ B&N site (14th and 15th Dec only IIRC). You can use FRIENDNFAM for additional 25% discount. Stocking up on these !

Last edited:
Back