Online Game Deals - Steam, Amazon, Origin, GOG, Humble Bundles

Re: Steam - Ongoing deals thread

DigitalDude said:
on the contrary I feel steam is a godsend after using EADM :bleh:
_

Haha.. yea, I've heard even worse complaints about EADM. So, compared to that Steam Client is still great. But I feel the GamersGate method is best.
Roxtin said:
Improve, Yes valve is in process of improving the Steam cloud service and have also updated the account security thing and few more to come in near future. Getting Rid of Steam or any other Digital Distribution channel cannot happen as Digital Download is the Future of Games. Digital Downloads saves a lot of logistics and publishing cost for the producers/developers.
Yea, I understand DD is the future and fully support it. I love the steam platform as such. My gripe is with the performance issues in the client. The client is not good enough. Especially the downloader part.

baccilus said:
I was hoping I would be able to copy some files into the steam folder which would then reduce the download size.
In most cases, you can do that.

I did the same thing with COD BO. Who would want to download the same thing twice? :p

But I didn't work with borderlands. :(

Anyways its worth a try, install your game backup, let steam download the game till it hits 1%, exit steam, copy your backup to the steam game installation directory, start steam, and maybe your download % improves.

Good luck.

jojothedragon said:
Anyways its worth a try, install your game backup, let steam download the game till it hits 1%, exit steam, copy your backup to the steam game installation directory, start steam, and maybe your download % improves.

Good luck.
This method worked for me for a couple of games. Dirt2 and Mass Effect. But, its not like it gets done instantly. Steam still took almost one whole night to verify the contents. Still, its way better than having to download the whole thing from steam.

The content Intergrity verification is bound to happen, since it needs to validate the files and make sure it has all data needed to run the game efficiently. It's worth a try.

@Jojo: I came to work leaving my PC on and steam running. I guess I will stick it out this time. Wouldn't like to loose 2 days of download on experimentation now.

^^ A bit hard to predict, size required on disk is 12224 MB approx, but download will be compressed, So actual download will be quite less

^actually the download size is 12380MB including all DLCs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

baccilus said:
@Jojo: I came to work leaving my PC on and steam running. I guess I will stick it out this time. Wouldn't like to loose 2 days of download on experimentation now.
Well, if you don't have a back-up copy of it already, then experimenting makes no sense. So what you did was rather wise. :)

baccilus said:
Are you sure 12380 includes all DLCS? Then it is still acceptable...
Yep. The main game is around 6-7GB in size, while the DLC's (combined) take around 6GB, with larget being Knoxx's DLC, which alone weighed around 4GB.

adi_vastava said:
12 GB is still acceptable :S.
There are 4 expansion packs included in the GOTY edition. I was thinking I would have to download all the expansion packs separately. BTW, I just got home to the message that "Steam servers are currently busy, please try after some time". This is so *ucking stupid. I left my computer switched on all day to come back home and see this message.

BTW, who all are going to be playing this with me?

Two big thumbs up for Bully from my side. It's audio and other minor issues aside, the game is fantastic. Trust me, it will keep you glued to your chair/couch/bed throughout the session. It's definitely must buy for that price, which is hardly 180 bucks right?

Ethan_Hunt said:
Two big thumbs up for Bully from my side. It's audio and other minor PC issues aside, the game is fantastic. Trust me, it will keep you glued to your chair/couch/bed throughout the session. It's definitely must buy for that price, which is hardly 180 bucks right?
Was wondering since its about 6 years old. Any driver issues with Win 7 64 bit?

Arjun said:
^ Does it play well with xbox controller?

review

YouTube - Bully: Scholarship Edition Review

Yes it does. The 360 controller has native support.

Was wondering since its about 6 years old. Any driver issues with Win 7 64 bit?

I have tried it on Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate edition and there were no issues, except for crappy sound problem, which could be fixed. I had completed the game on the PS2, so had tried the PC version just to check if it had a higher frame rate or not. It's capped to 30 by default, however, the last time I checked, a member on Rage3D forum had developed a fix to remove that cap. I haven't tried it yet, but you could have a go at it. Initially, the PC version had received a lot of flak in terms of technical issues . There was a patch which came out later on though. I didn't encounter any major crashing or other nuances back then.

baccilus said:
There are 4 expansion packs included in the GOTY edition. I was thinking I would have to download all the expansion packs separately. BTW, I just got home to the message that "Steam servers are currently busy, please try after some time". This is so *ucking stupid. I left my computer switched on all day to come back home and see this message.

I'll quote a post from Digit forum user who has mentioned how the retail DVD install should work for your Steam purchase:

1. Install Borderlands + all the DLCs (any rip)

2. Make a copy of the entire folder now.

3. Uninstall the Borderlands that you installed in Step 1. This is just to ensure that there are no registry conflicts, shortcuts, corrupted icons, etc when Steam installs Borderlands.

4. Now install Borderlands from Steam. When the NCF files have been created & the download is at 0% then pause the download.

5. Now paste the copy you made in Step 2 & paste it at the steamapps/common/Borderlands location.

6. Now do a verify integrity cache & resume the download. It worked for me cos it took only an hour more to finish the 12GB download.

The serial keys will only be needed when you want to teleport to a location associated with that DLC for example. Do make sure to revoke the activation of the 2 DLCs using securom's revoke tool when you are going to uninstall Borderlands in the future or remove windows for a clean install.
Credits to varunb @ThinkDigit forum.

So you can try this out and check if it works for you as well. Good luck! :)

Back