PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

should journaling be enabled or disabled in ext4 volume?

2 more questions:
is it possible to make pogo shutdown automatically at desired time? currently, have to start comp and ssh and then give command of shutdown. :|
is it possible to use a dialer in this? i mean instead of using router, i will connect pogo to a modem directly, with modem in bridge mode and pogo connects and disconnects internet at required time.

Edit:
I should download this file right?
Code:
http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz

I don't remember the filename but i guess the file would require changing to mount as ext4 , right ?

For auto shutdown you crontab with shutdown script.

ext4? the boot volume will be ext3, the data volume in ext4. wont the file type be set as ext3 while copying it to the volume as root from ubuntu?

should journaling be enabled or disabled in ext4 volume?

2 more questions:
is it possible to make pogo shutdown automatically at desired time? currently, have to start comp and ssh and then give command of shutdown. :|
is it possible to use a dialer in this? i mean instead of using router, i will connect pogo to a modem directly, with modem in bridge mode and pogo connects and disconnects internet at required time.

Edit:
I should download this file right?
Code:
http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz

Journaling - Yes
Scheduled shutdown - Yes, just setup a cronjob
Dialer - Yes, install Webmin and you can configure the ppp dialer through that.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

ext4? the boot volume will be ext3, the data volume in ext4. wont the file type be set as ext3 while copying it to the volume as root from ubuntu?

By default it will be set as ext2, you need to update the /etc/fstab file. You will need to set the rootfs type in the uboot environment to ext3 as well.

Journaling - Yes

By default it will be set as ext2, you need to update the /etc/fstab file. You will need to set the rootfs type in the uboot environment to ext3 as well.

Wont journaling eat resources?
I thought uboot has no rootfs env set in it. meaning the boot partition would be ext2 or 3 and it would boot normally.

if it is set as ext2 in uboot, how do i change it to ext3?

Edit: does uboot need to be re flashed again to be set to ext3? i read that its hard coded ext2 in uboot env in nand. :(

varkey
I tried modifying the fstab 3-4 months back but the drive just wouldn't mount as ext4
Code:
#<file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>             <dump> <pass>
/dev/sdb                 /mnt              ext4      defaults              1      1
This was the line which i added , it always use to mount as ext3.

Another which i forget now , there is no data loss in converting to ext4 right ? I hardly remember how i converted last time.

varkey
I tried modifying the fstab 3-4 months back but the drive just wouldn't mount as ext4
Code:
#<file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>             <dump> <pass>
/dev/sdb                 /mnt              ext4      defaults              1      1
This was the line which i added , it always use to mount as ext3.

Another which i forget now , there is no data loss in converting to ext4 right ? I hardly remember how i converted last time.

The root partition has to be in ext3 itself I guess, not sure whether uBoot will support ext4. You can have the data partition as ext4.

And it has to be /dev/sdbX not just /dev/sdb (which represents the whole harddisk, not the specific partition)

I did that correctly was just showing a example I also see you can mount ext3 to ext4 without conversion

i tried installing archlinux arm on my usb hdd. but it wont boot into it. it boots into pogo bash everytime.

While installing, i didnt do the uboot install part, since i thought it will rewrite the nand with uboot again if i do it, right? Where is uboot installed in the first place? on hdd or nand?
i had already downloaded archlinux arm tar from the site and i unpacked it from bash after creating a tmp dir. Comparing the install with my debian install on usb, i can see all the folders in the root of the hdd, except - initrd.img and vmlinuz. the 18 directories are all present. I also saw some other files not present are in the boot folder. only uImage is present. the rest 4 kirkwood files and uInitrd files are not present. i'm sure some lib files are not there too.

so how do i get those files?

Bricked my Pogoplug v2 (Pink/Gray). After installing archlinuxarm and doing the last step i.e /sbin/reboot it is not booting. Front LED (P-Logo LED) is not turning on, only Ethernet LED are showing activity.
Any suggestions?

A Pogoplug WIFI update
MODEL : Pogoplug Wireless Extender POGO-W01
DRIVERS : Ralink RT3572 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless Lan USB DeviceDriver download page Ralink-A MEDIATEK COMPANY
or
http://d10.devid.info/file/88/wl_3870_3.0.11.0_w700.zip if you dont want to download the 22MB package for the drivers only

Any one who has the pogoplug branded wifi dongle can use it on windows also with Ralink RT3572 drivers . It works like a normal WIFI N usb dongle . It took me 4 months to find this driver , its not anywhere on internet . This post will also help other users searching for the same .
Ralink config utility/GUI doesnt work with the Ralink website driver/Config utility . It will also not install the driver but has to manually installed from drivers available in the OS .The Ralink utility puts the driver in windows drivers but driver has to be selected and has to be manually installed . Once installed it works like a normal WIFI N dongle . Its a dual band dongle 2.4 and 5 Ghz both are available in the Driver/Advanced tab . I dont know its simultaneous dual band or selective dual band . I think the GUI is not working as the device ID has not been added in the GUI as it was only for Pogoplug so it refuses to recognize it but being the same hardware it was able to override it . Now if someone could tell how to add the device id in the GUI so that both bands can be used . I only have Samsung GS2 which has 5ghz and it showed only one network when i used it as AP in Win 7 x64 so my presumption its selective dual band and 5Ghz cannot be used till GUI is active
Any pointers ?

Edit confirmed its selective dual band , my Samsung GS2 could see no network on manually selecting 5Ghz band only . Immediately connected on 2.4 ghz

So it can act as standalone wifi device right ? without using the router i.e I wanted to stream data for which router is used for wifi this would replace it ?

So it can act as standalone wifi device right ? without using the router i.e I wanted to stream data for which router is used for wifi this would replace it ?
yes , but has to be connected to a PC/Laptop/Pogoplug/Dockstar . You want to make it AP ? Connected to laptop it will act as AP so that other equipment can connect to it . Something like what connectify software did in which it was Ad-Hoc network due to which most of WIFI equipment couldnt see it . But this can be achieved by any WIFI dongle . I have 2 cheapo generic ones with Realtek 8188SU and 8188CUS both also can do the same . Sometimes I even use the laptop internal WIFI card to act as AP in infrastructure mode . It seems you are not able to make you usb WIFI dongle or internal WIFI card to act as infrastructure AP . Is that so ?
here a mini guide to make it infrastructure AP
1. check to see if your wireless adapter in your laptop has any ad-hoc connection settings available. Be sure to set value to "enable".
2. Open the windows CMD prompt as an administrator
3. Type the following : netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=testwifi key="123456789012"
the ssid that you set can be of any value
the key (with quotes) can be set to any value.
4. Check your DEVICE MANAGER and ensure that a new adapter is now showing entitled "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter" appeared
5. Share your CURRENT internet connection pointing to the new adapter you just created. Check the ALLOW CURRENT USERS TO CONNECT...". Then, In the dropdown box, select the new connection that appeared.
6. Start your new network in CMD prompt with: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
7. Enjoy!
to check if your created network is properly set and running, use the following command at the CMD prompt: netsh wlan show hostednetwork

This is what i use but remember dongle will get very hot on continuous data transfer and transmitting speed will always be less than receiving and these dongles are generally primed for receiving

Back