PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

^ You don't need to look specifically for a hard disk which expilcitly mentions Linux support. Any hard disk will do. I am yet to find a current generation hard disk which is not supported in Linux!

oh. on my 16GB usb 3 transcend pendrive which was formatted in ntfs, it used to show some weird errors saying some cylinders were overlapping or something. so i thought probably it does not support all devices.

What filesystem do you guys use for the OS? I am on ext2 and it is very prone to getting corrupted. almost inevitably it gets corrupted once a fortnight and I have to run fsck to repair it. Any solutions?

So the thing is, I need to restart my router everyday at 7:45 am and 8:30 pm to get 2mbps instead of 512kbps. Now till now I have been doing it manually. I have been trying to get the pogoplug to do it but have been unsuccessful so far. I have a tp link TD-W8961ND modem+router device.

first, i thought it should be easy to do with telnet, however, the modem doesnt seem to have the reboot command under telnet.
22114244735-orig.png

second, i read somewhere that it can be done via wget by going to the router restart page link and then adding a ?Reboot=Reboot at the end. So i tried
Code:
wget -qO- --user=admin --password=admin http://192.168.1.1/maintenance/tools_system.htm?Reboot=Reboot

but all it did was display the html code for the page. When I try http://192.168.1.1/maintenance/tools_system.htm?Reboot=Reboot in my browser, I see this:
22114282478-orig.png

Any Ideas?

yes thanks. it was under sys. I had mailed tp link and they replied back within half an hour giving me detailed instructions on how to do it.

I have used expect to create a script to restart it and then added it to cron via webmin.

is there an easy way to shift from debian to archlinux? i want to try archlinux on my pogo. debian takes 3-4 minutes to boot and is slow.

Copy the arch linux tar ball to usb and then just boot unless you have modification to boot loader

i havent done any modification to the bootloader. so i only have to download the latest archlinux 150MB file and extract it to root of a pendrive (formatted in ext2 or 3) and boot from it?

^ Yep.

But I doubt whether it will improve your boot time. The bottle neck is usually the USB flash drive, try using a hard disk.

so if i want archlinux on a hdd, i should make 3 volumes right? 1st ext2 for root, 2nd is linux swap (which format?) , and last is data in ext3 format.
is 4GB, 1GB and rest of space 930GB ok for this config?

^ Yes, 3 partitions.

1 - use ext3, around 2 GB - 3 GB will do.
2 - swap - there is no specific format for it, 512 MB will be enough
3 - data - use ext4

That reminds me I still have to convert to ext4, are there qny significant performance improvement ?

^ The notable difference is that if you have enabled the option to preallocate the space when downloading torrents, in ext4 its done instantly whereas in ext3 it takes a while if the file size is high.

Back