PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

Desecrator said:
^Like I said before, a majority of the input devices are based on bluetooth. But, the Playstation Eye sold by Sony and the guitar-based controllers (for instance) rely on USB. So disabling the USB port will negate the usage of these devices. Sony can only make do with the firmware then.

Commercially sold consoles are not meant to be converted into dev-kits which is precisely what these hax0rs are targeting. :p

But if this hacking becomes a reality in the true sense (akin to the X360 hack-scene), the exclusive titles will certainly take a hit, game developers will release sub-standard titles and may henceforth even consider porting it to other platforms and their revenue out of the game-sales would be low. I wish it doesn't happen that way.
most exclusives are first party so they are no way going multi-plat

and there are few third party exclusives now

PSFreedom for iPhone and iPod Released

But! Before you jump the gun you should know that this is considered a test release or an “early preview.†It’s not as straightforward as you’d hope. You need OpeniBoot installed and your iPhone must be a 2G or 3G model; iPod Touch 1G works too. Included are the sources that you must compile yourself for the iPhone; a binary is included for the iPod Touch.

From the README:

Just a small testing release of PSFreedom for iPhoneLinux.

A precompiled kernel/initrd is in the iPT1G folder, the USB kernel
patch is in the PSFreedom/iphone folder. It should be applied to
kernel_common from the iDroid-Project user on github as detailed on
the idroidproject.org web site.

The android.img.gz is the initrd plus a testing boot script, the
.ko should go in /lib in it.

To build PSF, use ‘make clean && make iphone’ from the PSFreedom
folder as usual.

At the time, Backup Manager isn’t working (and no, it’s not due to
the /dev_bdvd patch), but I’m working on fixing that.

Don’t expect too many support, as this is just an ‘early’ preview.

Booting the initrd will work by using the ‘Android’ menu option in
OpeniBoot. Once the screen starts filling up with ‘INIT’ you can do
the starting as usual with ‘jailbreak’ devices. Note that the iPhone
should be the only device plugged in the PS3′s USB ports.

– NTAuthority (2010-09-10)

It’s progress all right. Sooner or later the whole process will be simplified — you can count on that. Be patient — don’t update to 3.42. Good lookin’ NTAuthority. Props.

I haven't mentioned the source since it has the link to the the file and I'm not sure if that's in compliance to the forums regulations. But people know how to use Google, so knock yourselves out. ;)

This is just the beginning. I think this porting method is a cheap alternative to cover up, till the time those PSJB clone UBS sticks would start flooding the market.

BTW for the people who arent agreeing that MGS4 is smaller than GOW3 in size ..... my friend who jailbroke hes PS3 with a N900 backed up the game and found it to be 30GB ...whereas the backup of GOW3 is 40gb ...

dark.lord.rules said:
BTW for the people who arent agreeing that MGS4 is smaller than GOW3 in size ..... my friend who jailbroke hes PS3 with a N900 backed up the game and found it to be 30GB ...whereas the backup of GOW3 is 40gb ...
YES ^^

(proof - saw all the game sizes on Bitgamer)

For now, transferring files to the internal HDD ensures maximum compatibility with most games out there. If they somehow enable NTFS recognistion for the console, then it's a complete win.

dark.lord.rules said:
I even posted a image showing the actual disk size.

Umm... i am ordering a USB programmable board custom made for < $10. Anyone else interested ? Doing it with my N900 till then.

Or you can wait till the ATMEL board supplies pick up again and order the Teensy++ board.

That is shipped. Cost of parts is about 5-6 $ for the guy. I'm in touch with the PCB designer directly and as he is located in Shenzhen , he can easily get cheap parts. The design is open source so if we have any PCB designers in the house , i can get you the design and you can make it yourself.

@m-jeri , as i cannot guarantee time frames , i will order 1-2 extra pieces and you can buy it from me once i get it delivered to my place. What says ? :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dark.lord.rules said:
Even am in for the usb board ... or else ill order the ps3break .. a clone from china ... if intresed we can group order that also .. its for 33$ shipped ...

$33 is a bit too rich form my blood :p Can't afford it right now :S << poor student >>

Back