PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

well the PS3 USB hack is true its just a matter of time these will be made into modchips.. similar to when the ps2 came out they had a usb switch jailbreak that time too and it wasnt long they came out with the modchips.... i can see the PS3 goin the same way too once the hackers find a way to exploit which they have already then its just endless possibilities to come out with more jailbreak methods..

jojothedragon said:
not yet and probable never will be, until the hackers nuke sony, which will never happen. :D
Dude its already hacked re get ur facts right, go to bitgamer.com or something and see so many PS3 games which have been uplaoded and it works, but yeah u will not be able to play online anymore as sony released 3.42 today and the exploit only works on 3.41 as of NOW, which they said they'll solve with a new loader :D

i think mine is still in firmware 3 or so...

dang. so i think i need to read up lot of info. its gonna be fun to mod the ps3 myself. loved when i did for my 360. :D

PS3 Jailbreak: Modders Defend Hack
It took hackers little more than a year to crack the original PlayStation. By the time the PS2 came about it took about a year and a half to unlock the new console to piracy. The PSP didn’t take very long at all. But the PS3 was meant to be different – Sony worked alongside hackers to make sure what they were offering would appeal to that particular demographic, while at the same time giving your more standard gamers a console that wasn’t very easy to hack.

We speak to the people behind the now infamous PS3 jailbreak hack to discuss their motives.
Read More Here

Nice article.

Regarding the OFW update, I will be doing it as and when available :)
Pirates have killed the PC industry, Sony has made a console to sail through piracy and survive in the industry keeping the faith of Game Developers alive. If this Jailbreak is encouraged, no doubt SONY will see a sales-bump, but the quality of titles will degrade, as budgets will decrease substantially.
Why do you think EA and other developers have SONY exclusives, as they know that the games need to be purchased to play the game and they atleast get to eat the small portion of that sales pie.
If you check the charts, PS3 has been the major contributor in revenue for multiplat games, barring few FPS's and Third Party publishers know that.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

This message should probably cut some socks off: The manufacturer of the infamous USB Modchip "PSJailbreak" have been known to want to bring out in the next few days an update. The Backup Manager v1.1 it should be possible, among other things, on a normal PS3, no matter whether fat or slim, PS2 games to play. Furthermore, should follow a Linux support in the next update.

Here are all the changes:
Supports any firmware
Supports NTFS Hard Discs
Supports copying of Blu-Ray Discs
Supports playback of the. Mkv video format
Supports the playback and copying PSX and PS2 games (no matter which PS3 version).
Automatic updating of the stick via PC.
Lets Play online without risk of excommunication.

This Infomations are both of the largest Spanish-page Mod Chip Spain , as well as from the well-known programmer community Logic-Sunrise , supports the previously have received the update already.
Source: PS3inside

Probably only good thing for me is that, PSJB will support NTFS hard drives & support playback for .mkv video formats. :hap2:

^lol why bother with the jailbreak when the PS3 Media Server application on the PC can easily run videos of any formats. :p

^^^

That whole process is a bother. why use 2 devices at all when one can do that easily?

This is the only peice of info i find interesting in the whole jail break. NTFS+MKV. hope they include more common formats also.

It will make the ps3 a truly digitial unit.

^Yeah one could do that easily and when all the future games warrant the latest firmware by Sony (which would have some guaranteed limitations on running the USB device), then what could you possibly do? Kiss the hack goodbye?

^^

That future talk can be applied like this also -> what if updated hacks are made that sony fw cannot plug, which they are already contemplating if rumours are to be believed?.

So avoid the future, coz u dont knw whats gonna happen. and think by present state of affairs.

But afaik I m not jailbreaking/hacking my PS3, for this paltry reason :p

my lappy can easily play 1080p movies while connected to LCD via HDMI cable. So hacking PS3 only for playing video files doesn't make sense ;)

^^

yes. but it does for some. some keep HTPC and Ps3 together. if this hack can do what it says, then it will mean a LOT of things.

A great UI, nice remote, network capabilities, support for NAS(i hope), BD drive.. it makes a lot of sense to me. and the power saving and looks.

and seeing that actually for ~10k u get a seconds ps3 is like.. :D

Hope they does this.

heck i will even get the new slim for gaming and keep my old fat for just as media player.

m-jeri said:
what if updated hacks are made that sony fw cannot plug, which they are already contemplating if rumours are to be believed?
Sorry that just went over my head. What did that mean?

Sony could do something like this:

- Release a firmware which completely disables the USB ports making it solely for charging the controller. The only other use of the USB port AFAIK is to plug the external flash/hard drives since most 3rd party input devices depend on Bluetooth. This will force the user to dump all the files into the internal drive which definitely will be a problem since Sony's proprietary file format for the internal drive may not let the users dump a file more than a specific size. Most game developers will henceforth see to it that the files onboard the blu-ray disc is more than that size.

Desecrator said:
Sorry that just went over my head. What did that mean?

Sony could do something like this:

- Release a firmware which completely disables the USB ports making it solely for charging the controller. The only other use of the USB port AFAIK is to plug the external flash/hard drives since most 3rd party input devices depend on Bluetooth. This will force the user to dump all the files into the internal drive which definitely will be a problem since Sony's proprietary file format for the internal drive may not let the users dump a file more than a specific size. Most game developers will henceforth see to it that the files onboard the blu-ray disc is more than that size.

^wont happen, it wud leave Ps3 useless in many ways..Secondly this hack is based on a method used to repair ps3, so i dont see them being able to plug this fully, lastly, even the hackers will work to keep it open and bring workarounds to sony's plugs..

Like other consoles, the games may be prepatched for download to remove the firmware restriction, if sony does put in any...

Back