PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

karan_n8 said:
Okay so I have to first check my firmware, then run the software , the one for which the links are given.
And after that I can download games and put them up on the console memory and use them directly right ?
AFAIK Ps3 has no free games that can be downloaded from other sources than the PSN itself. So that is a reference to pirating. I suggest you read the rules.

^^Agreed. Gaia never ever gave me problems. Other than ofc the >4GB files wherein Blacb0x comes into picture. Heck, now I've begun transfers using a portable drive. Very easy if the files in the game folder is <4GB in size.

At this point all the backup managers are compatible with 3.55 and working fine.. I used GAIA and MultiMAN they both use dev_hdd0\GAMES folder.

and believe me guys you don't need anything else apart from these two.. if you are still having problems then I recon you go to basics.. check the jailbreak that you did.. if possible do a file format check in system restore option.

Everything is working fine for me.. just once a game hung after played it for over 5 hours.. I had to restart PS3 (the hard way) and the game started again..

As of now backups are working.. but CFW and homebrew needs to be more stable.. right now they are serving the purpose which everybody wants from them..

KaKaRoTo's Modified Firmware on the way.

New KaKaRoTo CFW..err MFW For 3.55 Coming Soon? - Dukio

Why You Shouldn't Pirate Games

Video game piracy is quite a controversial topic at the moment. Its detractors say that it hurts the industry by depriving developers of precious revenue, while its (relatively few) supporters argue that many people can't afford to game, and so they have no option. But can piracy ever really be justified?

Film piracy has existed for a very long time. It was originally just someone with a camera in a cinema hall. Those who watched pirated films had to endure that awful shaking, and occasionally somebody standing up and leaving in the middle of the film. Gradually, however, the field advanced, and with this advancement, game piracy began. Copying cassettes,cartridges, and discs that followed was a very easy process. You could make thousands of copies for the price of thousands of units of storage medium and sell them for $5 or so, thereby making an enormous profit. It was a business. A business full of people taking money from consumers in exchange for work that did not belong to them.

However, piracy has changed yet again. Whilst back in the day you needed to pay that small amount of money to get your illegal copy of the game, you can now do so with a simple free download from any number of websites, which - for obvious reasons - I will not list. The people who upload game files often make no profit whatsoever. You can then burn these onto the relevant disc format yourself, or with certain handhelds, copy the file straight over. Piracy is easier than it ever has been and since nobody is making a profit, it's fine. So, everyone does it. Right? Actually, no.

First, a logistical problem: it's fairly easy to go into a store, buy a fake game, and leave. You're highly unlikely to be strip-searched on the street. It's even more unlikely that a SWAT team will break down your front door with sniffer dogs and demand to see your game collection. On the internet, however, it is very easy for a company to track you. Every byte of data you download goes through your internet service provider (ISP) and they therefore have it all on record. If a publisher requests that data, the ISP is legally obliged to provide it. For a first offence, you get a sternly-worded letter. The second offence could lead to an enormous fine, or even a prison sentence. This puts a lot of people off – the simple fear of being caught.

And on top of that, the console manufacturer knows as well. Microsoft has handed out thousands of console bans for people who have pirated high-profile games and had the lack of foresight to play them online before official release. When you connect to the internet, Sony can tell whether your PS3 is running official firmware and can completely disable your console. Part of the reason why PS3 piracy may never take off is as soon as you go online you can be found by Sony. Thus, you need to stay offline and not log on at all. No online gaming. No store. These things didn’t even exist in previous generations.

Although, in arguments about piracy the aforementioned horrible consequences are often brought up by detractors, moral arguments are more common. Potentially, hundreds of people have put several years of their life and perhaps over $10 million developing a game. A lot of games aren’t profitable. When you buy a game, the developer and publisher get around $35. When you pirate it, they get nothing. Do you really have the right to enjoy their game without giving them anything for it, especially when other people (the majority) have paid good money to buy it?

A common argument against this is the “I never would have bought it anyway†defence. Try that when you’re stealing a car from a showroom. If you didn’t want the game, you wouldn’t have put the effort into pirating it. If you want it enough to steal it, you really ought to want it enough to buy it or at least rent it. Chances are, if you’re reading this you have more than enough money. But I’ll get to that later. Incidentally, this also challenges the whole “The company is not losing anything physical, so they haven’t lost anything at all†excuse: given a few million people who pirate a big game, at least a few thousand of them would have bought it if piracy had been completely stamped out. It’s still money.

Everything comes down to money in the end and without a doubt the most common justification of piracy is that the person “cannot afford to buy gamesâ€. Of course the statement is completely ludicrous. I can’t afford to buy a private jet; that doesn’t mean I go and steal one. The ability to play video games is not a human right or anything close to it. If you can’t afford to buy, rent. If you can’t rent, don’t play. The people who made the game need money, too. That’s why the patent and copyrighting system was created – to reward the people who worked hard to create something.

And yet, this is where some doubt creeps into my mind. In the scenario of somebody who genuinely can’t afford games (rather than the comfortable and well-off Americans and Europeans who make up the majority of those who make the claim), the company isn’t actually losing anything. This is disregarding that if they can afford high-speed internet with which to download the games they can probably afford the games themselves. Perhaps they pirate at internet cafés?

In any case, the latter is a grey area. In a day and age where pirating is free and does not fund the underground black market, you’re actually not harming anyone by pirating a game that you genuinely cannot afford. Where do you draw the line? At what point can you “afford†a game? It’s impossible to say.

If at all possible, avoid pirating games. It’s easy to get caught, and the repercussions are severe. Making games is hard work. Thousands of hours are put in so that you can have an enjoyable experience. The least you can do is give them your $35 (it’s really not a lot) as a reward and a token of thanks. They deserve it, and quite possibly need it, more than you do.

Source: VGChartz - Gamrfeed

If anyone having trouble running NFS Hot Pursuit for the backup obtained from different source ;) then try using R1 on MultiMan... It sets up Access permission properly and worked for me.. You can give it a try for other games which throws up black screen and does not load up.

I tried everything eboot.bin, param.sif and hell load of pkg files.. nothing worked.. finally this clicked..

enjoy.. :)

ok i finally used my ps3 yesterday. decided to use the cfw 3.55 and it works perfect so far.

kmeaw 3.55 + latest multiman.

so far tested pro evo 2011 & gran turismo 5, both working perfect. should try lbp2 tomorrow.

Any one here tried Multiman v1.13.04. I installed it just and when I ran it I got this error "multiman cannot detect any resident payload. Functionality may be restricted". It seems I have to run LV2.pkg before I run MM. Anyone else faceing the same problem ?

bassam904 said:
Any one here tried Multiman v1.13.04. I installed it just and when I ran it I got this error "multiman cannot detect any resident payload. Functionality may be restricted". It seems I have to run LV2.pkg before I run MM. Anyone else faceing the same problem ?
am using multiman but never got this issue.

whats lv2.pkg?

Back