PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

Satan

Adept
Apr 19, 2005
Calling all CFW pros ;)

I have a few questions for all your pirates :p

1) How many different releases of CFW are currently available? Which of them are the best?

2) Aside from not having to use the JB Dongle and support for NTFS drives, are there any other benefits to upgrading to CFW?

3) Can backups now be played off an NTFS drive?

4) Several games (mostly the ones that have individual files sizes over 4 GB) need to run off the internal drive. Can those games now play off the NTFS drive?

5) What about PSN? Can CFW handle PSN without getting the console blacklisted? Many of you have stated that the console won't be blacklisted and that it is the ID that get's blacklisted. Is it really as simple as creating a new PSN ID without any major complications that would affect the PS3's future on PSN?

Aman27deep

Skilled
Apr 7, 2008
Calcutta
www.fluxgaming.in
Satan said:
Calling all CFW pros ;)

I have a few questions for all your pirates :p

1) How many different releases of CFW are currently available? Which of them are the best?

2) Aside from not having to use the JB Dongle and support for NTFS drives, are there any other benefits to upgrading to CFW?

3) Can backups now be played off an NTFS drive?

4) Several games (mostly the ones that have individual files sizes over 4 GB) need to run off the internal drive. Can those games now play off the NTFS drive?

5) What about PSN? Can CFW handle PSN without getting the console blacklisted? Many of you have stated that the console won't be blacklisted and that it is the ID that get's blacklisted. Is it really as simple as creating a new PSN ID without any major complications that would affect the PS3's future on PSN?

Here it goes...
1 - There are 3-4 stable CFW's but the KMEAW 3.55 is considered to be the best.

2 - All that you said and the fact that you DON'T have to replace EBOOT's now and the CFW is permanent till you wanna keep it. And when u don't want to you can revert back to Official 3.55 through recovery settings.

3 - No. Although the newest multiman can read NTFS drives now. You can copy to internal from it. But still using FTP is the BEST.

4 - NTFS format not yet supported for playing directly off it.

5 - No more PSN access, not even via f*ckPSN. Only users on Official 3.60 can play online now.

I'f i'm wrong anywhere, please correct me :)

Satan

Adept
Apr 19, 2005
Now that is beautiful work Aman ;)

Thanks for pointing it out to this CFW virgin.

1) Why do you prefer FTP transfers over NTFS transfers? Is it terribly slow compared to a 1 gbps lan connection?

2) What about the 3.60 spoof for PSN?

3) Does switching back and forth between OFW & CFW mess up your backups & saves? Is there any erasing of data off your HDD?

Aman27deep

Skilled
Apr 7, 2008
Calcutta
www.fluxgaming.in
Satan said:
Now that is beautiful work Aman ;)

Thanks for pointing it out to this CFW virgin.

1) Why do you prefer FTP transfers over NTFS transfers? Is it terribly slow compared to a 1 gbps lan connection?

2) What about the 3.60 spoof for PSN?

3) Does switching back and forth between OFW & CFW mess up your backups & saves? Is there any erasing of data off your HDD?
1 - FTP is preferred by me as it is very easy. You may try the NTFS Method via multiMAN but it didn't work for me. Then i tried FTP and it worked very well, and it is very easy. All you really need is an Ethernet cable and a computer/laptop. I used my sony laptop and my games were in my NTFS external drive which was connected to my Laptop.

2 - I have no idea. But as far as i can remember, i read just a few days back that there is NO way to play online on a CFW as of now.

3 - If i am correct, you can save all your saves on a pen drive. And no it doesn't mess up your games. Yet i am unsure about this, as i am pretty much a newbie myself, but my ps3 about 10 days back :p But why would you wanna keep changing between CFW and OFW? There is no hack for 3.56 and 3.60, so if you upgrade to that you can kiss 3.55 CFW goodbye as of now.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Satan said:

It doesn't erase any data. Although, you might need to manually delete any game data (not game saves) installed whilst you were on 3.41, when you shift to CFW.

Dinjo said:
ps3ita cfw which helps playing all PSN games.

All PSN games? Where did you get that from?

Zero Cool

Adept
Oct 1, 2008
Gurgaon
www.vimeo.com
Aman27deep said:
^ It was 3.50 right? Same as me then :D congratz for your purchase :)
Yeah Buddy it was 3.50 . It was a 320 Gb PS3 Bundle with Resistance 2 & Motorstorm . The MFG Date was DEC 2010.

A PS3 320 GB Move bundle was also present but its MFG date was Feb 2011, so rather than take a chance with a device which might have a newer firmware I decided to stick with the older PS3 instead.

So far ive tried Crysis 2 & Fight Night Champion on the my PS3 (via ftp & Rogero ) transferring Assassins Creed Brother as I type this.

BTW, what kind of speeds do you get on WiFi FTP Transfers ? I get roughly around 2 MBPS , So a 5.5 GB game takes around 45-50 minutes to FTP its way to my PS3.

Does using a LAN cable decrease this transfer time ? If so what kind of speeds or transfer time does it take ?

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Zero Cool said:
Does using a LAN cable decrease this transfer time ? If so what kind of speeds or transfer time does it take ?
Yep it certainly does.

Here's a classic instance - I backed up GOW 3 to the internal drive using multiMAN 1.15.03 in approx. 1 hour 20 minutes. That would be ~41GB if my memory serves me right. Do the math. :p

Besides, it also depends on the individual file sizes. If the files are divided into smaller ones, it takes a lot of time whereas a single chunk of file say around 300~500 MB copies much faster in comparison.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Zero Cool said:
My wired connection earlier used to give me around 27-33MB/s transfer rate. Now it's down to 14MB/s.

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Sep 14, 2009
Mumbai
Typo its PSX not PSN.

If there are large files(around 1 GB) then the no of files to be transferred at one time must be 1 and when the smaller files comes which are around 10MB set the no of files to transfer to 10 it would then transfer at max transfer speed, since ftp load is limited on smaller files and it never caches content.

mortdracu

Disciple
Mar 25, 2011
it has been almost like 5 months after i bought mine and didnt know how to jailbreak..seemed too complex..i am on 3.60 can i JB mine??

Satan

Adept
Apr 19, 2005
There are videos and reports of jail-breaking 3.60, but unfortuantely no one has released it publicly (possibly because of all the noise Sony is making).

Zero Cool

Adept
Oct 1, 2008
Gurgaon
www.vimeo.com
mortdracu said:
it has been almost like 5 months after i bought mine and didnt know how to jailbreak..seemed too complex..i am on 3.60 can i JB mine??
A Public Jailbreak is not out yet. Its easy to Jailbreak if you are on 3.55 but any firmware after that is not yet jailbreakable

Satan

Adept
Apr 19, 2005
I was going through this thread trying to find out more about CFW and in the process I found out how the lure & ease of piracy can change people. Check it out. It's quite funny ;)
Before PS3

Zero Cool said:
Originally Posted by jojothedragon
Keep you crimes to yourself hackers. There is no pride in it. You are just contributing to making game developers go hungry.

Well said amigo

Zero Cool said:
Originally Posted by jojothedragon
But for the ps3 there is still hope

Not as long as men like Ethan are out in the open ........ he will de-flower the PS3 just for fun (you know kinda like Joker kills Gotham citizens .... just for Fun)

Zero Cool said:
I just hope that somehow ( miraculously) Piracy dies on the PS3.
After PS3

Zero Cool said:
Just bought a 320 GB PS3 today, neat little machine. Tried Crysis 2 on it it didnt work with GAIA or with multiMAN but it did with Rogero . Lets see what nice little goodies I can discover about this machine.
Zero Cool said:
Yeah Buddy it was 3.50 . It was a 320 Gb PS3 Bundle with Resistance 2 & Motorstorm . The MFG Date was DEC 2010.

A PS3 320 GB Move bundle was also present but its MFG date was Feb 2011, so rather than take a chance with a device which might have a newer firmware I decided to stick with the older PS3 instead.

So far ive tried Crysis 2 & Fight Night Champion on the my PS3 (via ftp & Rogero ) transferring Assassins Creed Brother as I type this.

BTW, what kind of speeds do you get on WiFi FTP Transfers ? I get roughly around 2 MBPS , So a 5.5 GB game takes around 45-50 minutes to FTP its way to my PS3.

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
Jun 25, 2010
^^:rofl::rofl: This is really EPIC!! I dont know if Zero Cool will post here again.. Cant stop laughing.

on a serious note: My GOW3 disk is scratchless and doesnt have any fingerprints or smudges on it, but still the game is stuttering too much during videos. Can anyone help me regarding this? Might backing it up help?

Satan

Adept
Apr 19, 2005
Let's try and eliminate the reasons for the stuttering video one by one

1) Is your harddrive close to being full?
2) Are you on any CFW?
3) Try backing it up to ensure that there no sections of the disc that can't be read
4) Try another game disc. That could help ascertain if there is a problem with the Bluray drive. Maybe some dust?

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
Jun 25, 2010
^1. No. 70% of it is empty.

2. No. Im on 3.41 jb but I remove the dongle while playing through discs.

3. Ill try...

4. All other game discs work fine.

Zero Cool

Adept
Oct 1, 2008
Gurgaon
www.vimeo.com
Satan said:
I was going through this thread trying to find out more about CFW and in the process I found out how the lure & ease of piracy can change people. Check it out. It's quite funny ;)

Hehehe ......... I guess im a dirty pirate now . :D Though yeah , jailbreaking a PS3 is pretty easy. Hopefully someone will make a Homebrew Multimedia App like the XBMC for the PS3.
I do feel like a dirty politician right now :eek:hyeah:

But the PS3 is totally worth it :p

LOL