Samsung Galaxy Note - Discussion Thread

Had anybody did ICS official update...
Is it recommended to do a clean wipe after install, (Reg, the emmc thing....)
Some say doing so improved the battery life.....

Not wanted to root and ODIN right now....

BTW any method to updat the kernel alone, without increasing the binary counter...?

Had anybody did ICS official update...
Is it recommended to do a clean wipe after install, (Reg, the emmc thing....)
Some say doing so improved the battery life.....

Not wanted to root and ODIN right now....

BTW any method to updat the kernel alone, without increasing the binary counter...?

It's not recommended to do wipe/factory reset with ICS whether it's from the phone' settings or CWM. As for flashing a kernel, you need root for that.
I've been following the discussions in XDA closely regarding the eMMC bug and they haven't come up with a sure-shot solution. SpeedMod and Franco kernels both have MMC_CAP_ERASE (suspected cause of bricks) disabled with the hope that it does away with the bricks, however, even they aren't sure about this.

I personally have flashed the SpeedMod kernel but don't want to risk doing wipe/factory reset. In short, we might have to wait for official Samsung fix, if that ever comes :unsure:.

Thanks to Shripad I am even more confused as to what ROM I should switch too. Have half a mind of changing to Kingdroid ICS 2. Anyone on this ROM? Or should I try Stock LPF?

I got Brick on my first wipe attempt in cwm.
Since I got my phone back, I have installed LPF through Odin with PIT file and repartition option checked along with the new bootloader file.
Rooted it and have done 3 wipes so far from official recovery. No issues.
The only people that I have seen getting brick on LPF are those who either did not flash the new bootloader or didn't do repartitioning. But due to the confusion and mass hysteria caused by the emmc bug, no developer is saying is absolutely safe to do wipe on properly installed LPF package.

Thanks to Shripad I am even more confused as to what ROM I should switch too. Have half a mind of changing to Kingdroid ICS 2. Anyone on this ROM? Or should I try Stock LPF?

I am Kingdroid ICS 2.0 since yesterday. So far so good. Definitely faster than the stock LPF i was earlier on. Everything works fine.

Want to buy 32GB memory card for Note, plzz suggest which one to go for?

SanDisk MicroSDHC 32GB Memory Card | eBay

MicroSDHC 32GB Memory Card Class4 from PrimeABGB

Use Coupon : 5% off for ICICI Credit Card holders : Code : ICICI42028
5% off for HDFC Net Banking customers : Code : HDFCEBAY27
5% off for ICICI Net Banking customers : Code : ICICI42027
5% off on ebay purchase using Axis Bank Debit Card : Code : AXISEBAY01

or

Recharge your Vodafone prepaid number at vodafone.in for Rs150 and you'll get a 100rs off coupon from them. Final price then would be 1165 shipped.

Successfully flashed Kingdroid ICS 2 after a few scares. Have been having a few lockups here and there. Too early to comment on performance at the moment. Love the fact that the s-pen features are back. Miss customizing my toggles though...

Update: this Rom is super sucky for me at the moment. Don't have full root. Apps randomly lock up and crash. Performance is pretty erratic. Games are choppy

REDPILL Recovery did not work for me. Endless bootanimation. So I reflashed a pre rooted GB rom and then installed speedmod and flashed kingdroid. I am gonna make one more attempt tomorrow to get working kingdroid otherwise its stock ICS for me. Love the s-pen stuff too much at the moment to go to CM.

Try Chracks ICS.

Nicely customised. Completely minimal ROM with all bloatware removed. Removed apps are available individually to restore if you want to.

Good performance so far.

Hi Guys!!!
Can I go ahead and update the stock GB to Stock ICS OTA?
If recommended, any precautions needs to be followed?
I dont want any messup and can't run taking the phone anywhere due to the busy schedule....

Very important: Any tangible benefits of switching over to Stock ICS...?
(Like: Banding solved, battery life improved, etc....)

Finally after lot of hesitation I gone with the OTA update of ICS....
THings were not good to start... Low battery life poor performance, Play store FC....

Then......

I did a wipe facory reset......(The most riskiest I know....)
You know...Things changed night to day....
Awesome battery life,
No lag (Even in powersave mode),
No crash,
FC still....
Did I mention Awesome battery life....

I dont think I would be doing wipe again....(dont know whem eMMC will go to coma)

Finally after lot of hesitation I gone with the OTA update of ICS....
THings were not good to start... Low battery life poor performance, Play store FC....

Then......

I did a wipe facory reset......(The most riskiest I know....)
You know...Things changed night to day....
Awesome battery life,
No lag (Even in powersave mode),
No crash,
FC still....
Did I mention Awesome battery life....

I dont think I would be doing wipe again....(dont know whem eMMC will go to coma)

There are no issues in wiping using stock recovery. Its only wipe via CWM that's a bummer. Weird that the stock update does not do a wipe on its own :S Its a completely different framework from GB and hence a wipe is mandatory.

I restored my nandroid backup of rocketrom (gingerbread). Can I do a full wipe and install paranoid android ? (was using ics stunner before the restore)

Have any of you guys noticed any banding on the screen?

The bottom half of my screen is brighter / more washed out than the top half. It seems to be a very common problem. It's not something that is in your face, but for a nit picker, it's very visible especially on darker backgrounds with low brightness.

I'll try and post a picture if my camera picks it up.

EDIT: Pictures attached.

dsc03060n.jpg

dsc03061h.jpg

dsc03062p.jpg

dsc03063y.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Put some distance between you and your monitor. Look at the middle of the screen in the pictures. You can see a brighter horizontal bar around the middle of the screen.

The banding is a major issue. but nothing can be done about it.
On a side i shifted to paranoid android from stock gb. and man is it pretty. a few bugs here and there but overall its amazing.

I'm interested to know if any of you have this particular issue. I'm not entirely sure that this is the 'standard' color gradient / banding problem everyone is talking about.

BTW... just so you guys don't get confused, that background is a textured grey wallpaper.

None of my 2 Notes had that kind of banding. Minor banding was common worry with sgs2 but when it is as bad as yours where half screen is appearing different then I would opt for repair under warranty from Samsung. That's unacceptable. They will replace the display. Won't take more that 2 days.

Back