Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

You should be putting the transmission command in your init.d, the way i do is i get settings.json every time router is rebooted since some times files do get corrupted so just to ensure clean settings.json i have something like this in my init.d

Code:
wget [url]http://www.3iii.dk/linux/optware/settings.json[/url] -O /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json

sleep 5

/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon

Ok i have done everything and almost whatever i need is up and working good, just a lil problem m facing,

i have connected a hp 8gb usb pendrive (boot drive) and a wd 500gb hdd, but whenever i issue the reboot command, the dockstar doesn't boot from hp pen drive and fdisk shows the 500gb hdd as the first drive, to resolve this i had to unplug the dockstar or reboot it again in order to boot from pen drive.

Probably you need to make USB SCSI as first device wait for Seagate owners to give you the exact command for debian

fw_printenv not found

debian:~# fw_printenv

-bash: fw_printenv: command not found

debian:~#

debian:~# printenv

TERM=xterm

SHELL=/bin/bash

SSH_CLIENT=192.168.8.2 2004 22

SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/1

USER=root

MAIL=/var/mail/root

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

PWD=/root

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

PS1=\h:\w\$

SHLVL=1

HOME=/root

LOGNAME=root

SSH_CONNECTION=192.168.8.2 2004 192.168.8.3 22

_=/usr/bin/printenv

@kanishk619 : If you are using Jeff's uBoot, connect the flash drive to another linux system or boot into rescue mode and run the following command. replace sda1 with your OS partition.

Code:
sudo tune2fs -L "rootfs" /dev/sda1

After that, on the dockstar run

Code:
fw_setenv usb_init "run usb_scan; setenv usb_root LABEL=rootfs"

This will prevent any confusion and always loads the root filesystem from the partition labelled 'rootfs'

the above steps i have to do from Pogoplug root or from debian root ? (i assume pogoplug root) If yes, then the 2nd command dont work for me :S, or i have to use serial connection ?

EDIT: Tried the above things, still not getting perfect boot mount drive :(

I am using Dockstar as my download rig and i am very happy with its performance over the year. I have added media player to my home network. When i trying to copy few data over the network to another storage (Media Player), i am getting transfter rate around 400Kbps only. Both devices are connected to router through ethernet cable to netgear DG834G router. The Dockstar has around 300GB data to move to media player. what is the problem behind slow transfer rate or is there any way to increase the transfter rate.

Please suggest.

Also is there any way to automate data moving when there is any data in the specified folder. My point is i have created download folder on dockstar, now when the download completes it goes to the specified folder. I want move that file from that particular folder on media player. Is there any way to automate such data moving.

Please help me, thanks in advance.

^ You mean enabling Preallocation? Yes definitely. For faster allocation you need a FS like ext4, xfs etc. For the boot drive, its really not necessary. I'm still on ext3 for that.

#maddy_in65 - I think fragmentation might be the cause of the very slow file transfers. I had faced the same issue when I hadn't enabled full preallocation.

^ You mean enabling Preallocation? Yes definitely. For faster allocation you need a FS like ext4, xfs etc. For the boot drive, its really not necessary. I'm still on ext3 for that.

#maddy_in65 - I think fragmentation might be the cause of the very slow file transfers. I had faced the same issue when I hadn't enabled full preallocation.
bricked my pogoplug v2 pink . Varkey helped me for 2 continuous days and brought it back to life
Thanks a lot varkey once again
cannot give you reps as need to spread more but they are due

I am using deluge for torrent downloading. from the last few days whenever i add any torrent in deluge, it get added in checking mode and stuck in checking mode also checked with different torrents. I removed deluge and installed again but issue still persists. Is there any way to solve this issue.

Back