OC & Modding Show Off Your Cable Management

From a CM690 to the Antec NSK 4400.

169iyhf.jpg

2vtwchg.jpg

2djxl4o.jpg

2nbhb0x.jpg

The back of the case was deformed after all the sheet-metal work was carried out. Couldn't manage to fit the motherboard backplate as visible in the pic.

NVM every penny worth 1.5k spent I say! A lot easier to lurk around with this tiny enclosure. Planning for a Vantec Nexstar hard drive dock for those additional hard drives. Once I'm relocated to a place permanently, I'd settle for a full-tower enclosure. :p

~Cheers!

m0h1t said:
w/ 3 120mm delta's, ur rig must sound like a turbine..

Nope it's as silent as it was on the CM690. There's something called undervolting in the BIOS you know! :bleh:

Running the Delta at 8V. And the Panaflo on the TRUE at 12V.

Gannu said:
Nope it's as silent as it was on the CM690. There's something called undervolting in the BIOS you know! :bleh:

Running the Delta at 8V. And the Panaflo on the TRUE at 12V.

Hm when you are operating it at lower voltage as you know you are reducing performance of the fans. Then why did you have to buy delta fans? Could have settled with cheaper fans with much less noise.
Since you are a gamer/bencher you need the fans to operate at full potential at most of the times and wont noise become a problem then?

btw wat are the cfms for the delta fans you own?

^Could you guide me to a link which suggests undervolting reduces the performance of the fan? Why have the motherboard manufacturers provided such an option in the BIOS then? How does a PWM controlled fan work otherwise?

No, I'm not a bencher nor am I gamer who games at very high settings. These fans do keep the components sufficiently cool.

Those Deltas're rated at 133CFM.

Gannu said:
^Could you guide me to a link which suggests undervolting reduces the performance of the fan? Why have the motherboard manufacturers provided such an option in the BIOS then? How does a PWM controlled fan work otherwise?
No, I'm not a bencher nor am I gamer who games at very high settings. These fans do keep the components sufficiently cool.
arey, undervolting a fans reduces rpm, hence reduced cfm/performance, everyone know that..
Undervolting Fans - Make Your Fans Run Quieter and Last Longer | Dan Matan

^Meh you call that reduced performance? :S

Isn't common sense knocking when you say undervolting=reduced airflow=reduction in noise.

I thought the life of the fan is reduced lol.

Gannu said:

No need for any links..

Basic electrical law. V=IR. You reduce V. You reduce I or current flow. Your rpm reduces and so is ur performance.

No doubt that they keep ur system cool even at reduced voltages. But the point is you could have got a lower CFM fan for a reduced price when you weren't planning to use your delta fans at its max potential due to noise concerns. Actually there are fans with better Airflow:noise ratio at lower CFMs which you are operating the delta fans for.

Isn't common sense knocking when you say undervolting=reduced airflow=reduction in noise.

I thought the life of the fan is reduced lol..

Common sense is knocking me that performance is not a word that is commonly associated with a life of the item.

But what matters finally is what your mind needs and likes ;)

As for the fans, these give me an optimal CFM/noise for the price I paid for. 500 bucks a Delta and 750 for the Panaflo. Let me know if you find anything cheaper/better!

buBleZ said:
Common sense is knocking me that performance is not a word that is commonly associated with a life of the item.

Wow I never knew that. Thank you for the enlightening me on the same.

And lastly, you can stop pulling my legs.

By undervolting Gannu meant - low RPM when system is 'idle', Abit mobo's are very intelligent :p, dunno about others, slight temp increase and fan RPM starts to accelerate. You can set lowest/maximum temp and RPM will scale accordingly, there's no such thing such as performance decrease.

Gannu said:
I thought the life of the fan is reduced lol.
The function of the fan is to circulate air, If one reduces the rpm then that means reduced performance
and when did I say that noise is not reduced?

People the pwm fan doesn't work like mentioned by bublez at all.

let me explain properly

in older fan regulators there used to be higher resistances to use up the voltage so that the fan gives less output. however this method's main weakness was that the input energy remained same and thus we were only wasting energy.

to overcome this flaw a method was designed known as pwm or pulse width modulation.

in this method instead of using various resistances the on-off mechanism of the fan was controlled by a micro-controller. this micro-controller keeps switching the fan on and off at an interval of a few milli-seconds.

for higher speeds the microcontroller keeps the fan on for a longer time period than that at lower speeds.this is the main reason that pwm fans need to be attached to the motherboard since the microcontroller for this purpose is built in the motherboard

hence pwm fans don't decrease performance in any way but instead they help in using electric energy more efficiently.

how do i know this:

well i just finished a class in embedded technologies and there we built a pwm controlled motor as a sort of mini-project. it is very simple and any body having basic c knowledge can make it easily

i hope i answered all the questions regarding the performance degradation and benefits of using pwm due to it's superior working methodology.

also note that the fan rgulators that one uses at home these days are pwm based , though shop keepers tend to call them electrical or electronic regulators

rdst_1 said:
People the pwm fan doesn't work like mentioned by bublez at all.

First where did i ever talk about PWM Fans? All my explanation was for a simple DC fan without any PWM modulation from MB and how it behaves with just a reduced Voltage.

Yes the PWM fans do work as you told. You have spent a lot of time in typing your post. I wish you spent the same in reading the earlier posts.

Back