Spice Mi 410 smartphone. 1Ghz snapdragon | 4.1" | Froyo | 5MP | 15K

ok new question+review ... the handsfree which comes bundled feels a little cheap but I liked the sound quality and it did not feel cheap in anyway. There is a nice bass. The button on the handsfree unfortunately is operating on the music player only (play/pause and next track or something like that) when not on call. It can be used to disconnect calls and pick up calls.

What i did not understand it how to make it useful in dialing calls. I tried using a bluetooth headset. When u press the button, it directs you to say things like "Call Home" or "Dial xxxxx" and it works pretty good. Seemed to understand my accent too. Unfortunately the wired headset button seems to be unable to do this. Any ideas how to get the wired headset button for dialing? No matter how i press i cannot make the dialer come up. Did not find any settings for wired headsets. Any suggestions?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

The size of the phone combined with it being it in the pouch combined with the fact that if u are travelling in public transport and are using one hand to support yourself, there is no way one can answer calls or dial (forget sending smses) :)

Does any one know if still we can get 3G like internet speeds in the 98 Rs 2GB GPRS plans nowadays as we used to get in January? 3G internet plans are soooooooo costly.

@sajokj --> You got a MicroSD Class 10 16GB card so cheap :eek: .. are you sure its a Micro SD ? If it is it should work anyway. I hope you did not get a normal SD card. This phone supports MicroSD only.

There's some website saholic.com, which is selling the phone for 13999. I have heard that the device is good, especially its built..

Hmph....... Visited around 5 Spice Hotspots in Bangalore last weekend. None could produce a piece of this beauty. The closest was 'can bring a piece in 1 hr but cannot open the box'. Spice needs to get atleast the marketing together, now that they have a good product(even if rebranded).

However i did get a HTC Desire (not S not HD) in one of the Spice shops @15k (like in saholic.com). All other normal shops (visited around 7-8) had it listed around 21-22k. Online listing was 18.5k. Even though this looks fishy I took the plunge :)

Lets see how it goes, if it is not defective (manufactured in March 2011 and comes upgraded with Froyo), with all its memory and battery problems, I would say at 15K it is still a good deal. :touchwood:

Its got a 1400 mAh battery, better than the one on Desire HD ;), so i don't think battery life will be worse than even higher end phones

Android being the juice guzzler that it is coupled with the 4.1" lcd on full brightness, it barely lasts a day, rather 16-18 hours (considering gaming and surfing on edge with a bit of gps for atleast 2 hours a day and an hour or so of music) on froyo.

Battery life will improve as soon as we get an oc kernel so that we can underclock the processor on standby. there is hope for the pershoot's kernel to be ported.

Also gb 2.3.4 is said to be lighter on the battery.

besides, people have remarked that Nokia make batteries BL-5F, BP-6MT, and BP-5M *may* be compatible with this phone. That is a BIG bonus if true since it opens up options for a cheap/high capacity battery upgrade or the use of a desktop charger for an easily available spare amenable.

Tried GPS navigation today using the Google Maps Brut Mod 4.6.
Drove for half hour and it seemed good enough but the phone got pretty hot in that time. Anyone else observing the same? :(

Is this applicable to other droids too? I used a Nokia C6 once for long drive but did not see the same behaviour on it.

lol it was psychological..:rofl:

manish_bhaumik said:
Tried GPS navigation today using the Google Maps Brut Mod 4.6.

Drove for half hour and it seemed good enough but the phone got pretty hot in that time. Anyone else observing the same? :(

Is this applicable to other droids too? I used a Nokia C6 once for long drive but did not see the same behaviour on it.

yep it is pretty common, same thing happens to my wave 2 also.. :)

Ok. accepted GPS usagge can get hot but this hot? I would call it very hot. I wonder what would happen if the gps runs for 3-4 hours like this.
Do you think its the GPS antenna or the Processor (assuming its running at full capacity during GPS) which is causing the phone to heat up?

And I tried the Android System Info APP. shows Max RAM 349MB. Is it not supposed to show 512MB since the Mi 410 is supposed to be having 512MB or did we get cheated somehow?

Sorry to be asking these questions. Upgrading from a Sony Ericsson W700i so currently needing to digest a huge chunk of info.

manish_bhaumik said:
ok new question+review ... the handsfree which comes bundled feels a little cheap but I liked the sound quality and it did not feel cheap in anyway. There is a nice bass. The button on the handsfree unfortunately is operating on the music player only (play/pause and next track or something like that) when not on call. It can be used to disconnect calls and pick up calls.

What i did not understand it how to make it useful in dialing calls. I tried using a bluetooth headset. When u press the button, it directs you to say things like "Call Home" or "Dial xxxxx" and it works pretty good. Seemed to understand my accent too. Unfortunately the wired headset button seems to be unable to do this. Any ideas how to get the wired headset button for dialing? No matter how i press i cannot make the dialer come up. Did not find any settings for wired headsets. Any suggestions?

The size of the phone combined with it being it in the pouch combined with the fact that if u are travelling in public transport and are using one hand to support yourself, there is no way one can answer calls or dial (forget sending smses) :)

Does any one know if still we can get 3G like internet speeds in the 98 Rs 2GB GPRS plans nowadays as we used to get in January? 3G internet plans are soooooooo costly.

@sajokj --> You got a MicroSD Class 10 16GB card so cheap :eek: .. are you sure its a Micro SD ? If it is it should work anyway. I hope you did not get a normal SD card. This phone supports MicroSD only.

I brought this one
Transcend Memory Card 16 GB MicroSD 16GB Class 10: Flipkart Memory Cards

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Day 3 / 4 of ownership.

I am perhaps the first and only Indian to have rooted Gingerbread 2.3.4 successfully on this.

Article waiting for approval on my home site. Shall link you up in a bit.

rooted 2.3.4 goodness on a 4.1 inch android phone running Snapdragon and Adreno 205.

the one who says ignorance is bliss lives the life of an animal :D

i live for this shit. yeah!

@FR..

I was planning to buy a new phone. Just need for phone calls, messaging, browsing, movies. and more impt music. Camera couldnt care less.

Shall i get this?

If music is a priority, I won't recommend this phone. Even though this is waaaaaaaaaay better than the XCD35 in terms of audio quality (the latter was a disgrace in the audio department, part of the reason I sold it off), I'd say even my 5230 is a slightly better music player than this.

Get a cheap 5233 like DarkAngel.

There are a lot of good abt this phone and price to performance ration outdoes any phone , but here are a few not so good things about Mi 410 . if you are bothered by any of the below specifically , you may consider options. A few have been pointed out but still consolidating

1) Not so (at all ) great external speakers , the volume level in my opinion is very low and since its pure H/W no upgrade will fix it.

2) The auto rotate has a mood of its own , rotates at least expected instances , especially when I unlock the phone by dragging the message button the phone usually unlocks in landscape mode , no matter where I position my hands. ' Landscape' will be my neck's default position in sometime.

3) 5mp camera is just a result of Megapixel marketing , I have seen 3.2 take better pictures.

the pics in natural light are strictly OK and in Dark is highly pixelated. I will use some apps for camera and see if it makes a difference .

4) Battery life on the 4th day of usage is 16 hours at max with moderate use of everything, Free Radical has given us hope ...but on this day Id say 16 hours is less.

5) This one is a worry more than a shortcoming, the phone actually heats up a quite a bit with normal operations and to an extent when on GPS.

6) No noise cancellation or filtering of any sort when on speaker, hence a lot of things speak along with me eg, train/ tv/ street hawkers etc etc ;) , when I put the other person on speaker phone.

As you can see , like any other phone this one has its downs , but if none is of particular concern.....this is seriously a good phone for all purposes. I used it for reading a couple of PDFs and i dont feel that Im missing my friends kindle too much ( screen area wise)

Anyone may add anything according to their experience or even suggest me ideas to overcome the shortcoming.

Back