Support Ukrainian Developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not that simple. In a globalised, interconnected world, this is bound to have repurcussions, which India would be impacted in one way or the other.
Last time we got involved in a war between European 'Thakurs' and 'Chaudharies', we lost millions of people (many millions if you count famine deaths). This happened well before phrases like 'globalization' and 'inteconnected world' were in vogue. No matter how many propaganda movies hollywood produces, I am still not convinced that we fought for the 'good' side.

There are no moral questions for us to fret over. Only economic ones (your list is good).

Qualitatively, this is no different than Afghan withdrawal or Iraq war, both of which involved evacuation and price readjustments.

I will repeat. This is not our war. Lets spend our energies in figuring out how to handle the unavoidable economic fallout. I am appalled at the coverage by the Indian media which wasting airtime in discussions about 'good' and 'bad' side.

Education in Ukraine is not better ...
Since the students chose to go there, and assuming they were able to make these computations themselves, education in Ukraine is by definition better and/or cheaper than in India. At least in those students' computations. I chose the words very carefully.

Were the students not aware Ukrainians are racist before going there ?

Edit : correct the quoted portion.

Last edited:
India's medical education is at an absurdly high standard, the only 'better' options are US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand — graduates from those countries are licensed to work in India without any exam or internship. They're considered on par or better than the Indian standard.

Similarly, doctors with Indian medical degrees are highly respected in other western countries.

Internships by students from other countries have been recently been recognized as valid in India because of the shortage of doctors that was highlighted during this pandemic, but they still need to clear India's licensing exam.

There are roughly 16 lakh medical aspirants every year who compete for less than 90k seats. Leaving India to pursue medical education isn't always a choice of their own making.

The racism is not unique to Ukraine, it's spread throughout eastern Europe. Usually, studying medicine is demanding enough on your time that you don't socialize enough with the locals to experience much of it. That and the universities are eager to woo you away from other countries so they don't make it a talking point in their recruiting process.

India's medical education is at an absurdly high standard

There are roughly 16 lakh medical aspirants every year who compete for less than 90k seats.
Yeah, education that is not available to them. Extremely relevant.
Leaving India to pursue medical education isn't always a choice of their own making.
Yeah, Ukrainian army comes to India every year to kidnap students, well known fact.
The racism is not unique to Ukraine, it's spread throughout eastern Europe.
So students chose to go to a racist country and are suddenly shocked by the racism.

Wow! Compassion is dead.

Millions of Ukrainians are seeing their country destroyed, can't count their own dead, 13 lakhs had to leave their own country, rest are sleeping in bomb shelters if sleeping at all.

But they should concentrate on Indian students, whose country didn't vote for humanity in the UN (SC or GA), whose students got better and/or cheaper medical education in a war endangered country like Ukraine than their own country, who came knowing the full risks to a foreign country. All because

Tu jaanta hai mera baap kaun hai ?
Where is the compassion from the west on Syria, Libya, Venezuela, yemen, iraq, palestine etc.
All of these countries have millions of death and destruction. All because of the US and its minions.

The US even threatened to sanction the international criminal court for trying US on crimes against humanity.

US supplied weapons are causing havoc in Yemen as we speak. US is still stealing Syrian oil as we speak and has occupied half of syria.

Where is the compassion from the west on Syria, Libya, Venezuela, yemen, iraq, palestine etc.
All of these countries have millions of death and destruction. All because of the US and its minions.

The US even threatened to sanction the international criminal court for trying US on crimes against humanity.

US supplied weapons are causing havoc in Yemen as we speak. US is still stealing Syrian oil as we speak and has occupied half of syria.

For russia Ukraine joining nato is the red line. Just like CUBA having Soviet missiles.

Us and west knew this but still was pushing putin to a corner. When pushed to a corner even a cat will fight back. US if it really cared about human lives should have accepted putin reasonable demand of Ukraine being kept out of nato.

People who have zero knowledge on geopolitics will easily be fooled by western propaganda.

Yeah, education that is not available to them. Extremely relevant.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well over text and if you're looking for a healthy discussion, sarcasm doesn't help at all. The point was India's medical education is at a very high standard so going outside of India for medical studies is not 'better' in any way unless if it's to one of those five countries.

Yeah, Ukrainian army comes to India every year to kidnap students, well known fact.

For someone virtue signalling compassion, what happened to yours? It looks like you're suggesting they should give up and settle for something else if they can't get their education in their own country. The point here is that partly because India's government invested more in statues than universities in recent times, students are being asked to either choose to give up on their educational/career goals, or to seek them in an another country. It's not like they're abandoning vacant seats in India to go abroad. Ukraine or anywhere else is never someone's first choice. It's a choice out of necessity.

So students chose to go to a racist country and are suddenly shocked by the racism.

These are kids you're talking about. Teenagers. They have little experience of the world outside of the bubble they grew up in. For their age group, they're not inclined to do in-depth research on the socio-cultural inequalities they may face in a foreign country. They're young, they aspire to be doctors, they're willing to sacrifice at least 8 years of their early adulthood (6 degree + 2 pg) to ensure financial security for themselves and their dependents as well as perhaps even benefit humanity overall through their profession.

This hostility towards your own countrymen is baffling.

The comments in this thread definitely misfired lol.

I'm actually enjoying reading the comments that aren't my own or in response to mine. Completely off topic yes, but very enlightening.

People who have zero knowledge on geopolitics will easily be fooled by western propaganda.
For people who want to understand the geopolitics here is a brief primer I had written earlier -

Geopolitics is a game of chess, every move is precipitated by series of events.

The US, as a state policy will not allow any country to become a peer economically or militarily. To maintain hegemony they need to practice economic colonialism. Coercing countries into treaties and agreements that subsidize their economy is their way of doing it. Use an ideology to build a good vs evil narrative, use this narrative to either invade a country, or corner one into security or trade agreements, and that creates an economic feedback loop. As more countries become vassal states network effects develop. The Great Delusion (2019)

We have seen this play out a few times in the past 2 decades. Iran, Russia, Iraq, Libya, Syria and now they are aiming for China.

Have you thought about why NATO, a military pact against USSR, was continued and expanded after the demise of USSR in late 1991, while the equivalent WTO was disbanded. Here is an article from 1993 in LA Times.

The Ukraine tragedy was anticipated a long time ago, an article from Atlantic (1996).

Please read information from academic sources, not the news. Here are a few of videos from John Mearsheimer.
Why is Ukraine the West's Fault? (2015)
The False Promise of Liberal Hegemony (2017)

Ukraine is just the most recent whose people fell for the narrative took a gamble and are paying the price. "Ukraine is a sovereign state and has the right to decide its own future", yes, OK, but what happens when sovereign India decides to buy weapons from sovereign Russia or buys oil from sovereign Iran. Sanctions.

Have you thought about why SWIFT has no viable alternatives despite being a glorified messaging system that can be replaced by WhatsApp.
Why do all international transactions happen in USD and are cleared by the federal reserve?

Democracy has brought a lot of peace and prosperity to the world, but is vulnerable to information warfare. Indian citizens are falling for the same narrative instead of looking out for India's interests and maintaining good relationship with neighboring countries. In geopolitics proximity matters.

A narrative is being built about China which is isolating India in the region. (Has China Won?)

Make no mistake, we too face this threat -
* Increasingly isolated Russia will depend on China for decades, expanding their sphere of influence. (refer length of sanctions on Iran, Cuba)
* After Russia when China is cornered by the west they will lash out at countries they see as a regional threat, first on that list, India.

Even if none of this happens, some day by sheer size of our population as India progresses we will become an economic rival to the US, at 1/3 their per capita income. What happens then?

(I may be wrong, happy to learn.)

Last edited:
Sarcasm doesn't translate well over text and if you're looking for a healthy discussion, sarcasm doesn't help at all. The point was India's medical education is at a very high standard so going outside of India for medical studies is not 'better' in any way unless if it's to one of those five countries.
The context in my original post, which you had quoted was : "whose students got better and/or cheaper medical education in a war endangered country like Ukraine than their own country"

Read "got", bold above. In capitals : GOT. If you could read it, there would have been no sarcasm.

You wrote a thesis on existence of education in India for somebody else, not the getting of that education by the said students. Sarcasm is here to share a joke with anyone who can read, because if I write and you don't read, the discussion with you has already ended. Especially about a sentence I had to already remind you had well chosen words, just needed to be read.

Last edited:
I have refrained from engaging in this thread because there is no end to our bickering over domestic politics, on both sides, but since this actually pertains to geopolitics I'll bite.
Good you reposted :)
Instead of saving their lives, Ukrainians should calculate who deserves exactly what, to 71 places of decimal, and give 1 month training to each of the citizens. Who has time to fight a war, Modi uncle is taking good care of them in the UN, right ?

Yeah, WhatsApp University obviously showing the full picture here. Indians shouting "please" so that people ignore rules. The WhatsApp University is of course explaining everything about what happened before, the exact rules, the chaos in people making the rules, the lives that can be saved by people who are making the rules if they concentrate on more important things. Like prevent nuclear war, saving everyone's lives, for example ?
You asked where is the compassion. I gave you an example

Why were they not allowed on the train ?

Last edited:
Why were they not allowed on the train ?
If you have the phone numbers of people who didn't allow our those of their superiors, we could ask. Never mind that they are solving trillions of times bigger problems than Indian students going in this train or the next.

Or like the WhatsApp University graduates, we can believe that one minute of context is too much to understand. Your choice.

The western narrative has got traction. The Russian one has fallen behind. Won't change facts on the ground.

A couple of theories have had a good test with this conflict.

After the Armenian - Azebaijan clash, people were saying drones are the future. Where are the drones in this conflict ?

People say a lot about cyber but in this conflict we can see that cyber is incapable of shaping a conflict. Cyber can't do much in a hot war unless the other side is heavily networked.

I keep hearing a teenager with a laptop can do more damage than an armoured brigade. But the only use of cyber is for greyzone in peace time.

And cyber is useless against less networked opponents.
Never mind that they are solving trillions of times bigger problems than Indian students going in this train or the next.
Ukranians could have been much smarter than to poke Russia in the eye.

Ukraine should aspire to become the Switzerland of eastern Europe.

Good you reposted
Thanks, I was concerned about it devolving into a good / bad squabble.
But we need to have this conversation, the way counter warfare was waged by the US is a huge wake up call for us.
It is high time we build our own critical infrastructure - physical, digital, economy, military and energy.
We have valid reasons for fearing China, but we need to learn lessons from them, their infrastructure is significantly more decoupled.

The context in my original post, which you had quoted was : "whose students got better and/or cheaper medical education in a war endangered country like Ukraine than their own country"

Read "got", bold above. In capitals : GOT. If you could read it, there would have been no sarcasm.

Are you implying that Ukraine did some kind of favor by GIVING medical education to Indian students? And that absolves them of all diplomatic responsibility? That wouldn't have been a valid point even if the 'better' medical education was GIVEN for free.

To put forth an analogy, if you're dining (studying) at a restaurant (Ukraine) and you've paid for your meal (fees) but a fire breaks out (Russian aggression) — is it not reasonable for you to expect the restaurant management to show you a fire exit, or even direct you towards one? Or are you okay with being told by the owners to sit and wait at your burning table while the waiters and chefs are evacuated?

I apologize, I wrongly assumed you were interested in a discussion. Next time you could just say upfront that you aren't interested. In any case, it was an interesting addition to my weekend, so thanks.

Are you implying
No, wrong again. Try reading a fourth time, in case you are trying at all, the sentence is well worded and doesn't imply anything like this.
I apologize, I wrongly assumed you were interested in a discussion
Yes, not in your misreading of "exist" instead of "get", but in actual discussion of what is being posted.
Ukranians could have been much smarter than ..
Changing the topic? You asked a question, I answered, now you digress, apparently intentionally. Or due to non comprehension.

Changing the topic? You asked a question, I answered, now you digress, apparently intentionally. Or due to non comprehension.
They allowed themselves to get played by the west. They should have avoided being a party in a bigger powers fight and now they're road kill.

That is the lesson Putin is teaching them. It's one smaller powers all over the world know or have to learn.

His join date Oct 5 2021 :)

They allowed themselves to get played by the west. They should have avoided being a party in a bigger powers fight and now they're road kill.

That is the lesson Putin is teaching them. It's one smaller powers all over the world know or have to learn.

His join date Oct 5 2021 :)
Do you understand the meaning of "topic" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back