Tata Indicom's Photon+ - High Speed Internet Access

My experience has been great so far. I bought this service in Hyderabad about ten days ago and I have been quite satisfied. I have purchased a 60 hrs. plan / month. Speeds are great and steady at 600-700kbps. I could download and watch online TV, browse and do steady downloads simultaneously. Second, the latencies have been 50ms away from enterprise / corporate grade connections which is superb. I found VoIP (soft phone) working perfectly well while I browse simultaneously.

Check out this screen shot of the speeds i usually get these days. I also hear that they are adding servers, coverage and tower muscle to accommodate its demand.

For those still contemplating, its a loud Yes to go for it.

Tech specs, yes it is part of CDMA2000 series under 3gpp2 and should technically be 3G as described in its respective website. However the existing bands that are unused are allocated to this service that are not used or underutilized making it not necessary operate in a 3G spectrum. Or why do I care?

For those dreaming about 3G, though it may be a reality in an year, its basic infrastructure requirements are relatively high. You need a phone that supports this technology, have a bluetooth or cable to use it, buy a plan (am sure will be expensive in the first year plus, and won't be as affordable to this one (expecting it to be around 1500+) and then basically using it to fulfill wireless internet needs. You are already making a headway by having this now. And this is 3G compatible so it does not matter. And 3G on GSM/CDMA is good 2 years from being affordable. We paid same amount for 1G CDMA data cards / plug-2-surf kind of stuff. This is fantastic for the same price. Who cares about 3G being launched or not?:hap2: :tongue:

Enjoy!!

My experience has been great so far. I bought this service in Hyderabad about ten days ago and I have been quite satisfied. I have purchased a 60 hrs. plan / month. Speeds are great and steady at 600-700kbps. I could download and watch online TV, browse and do steady downloads simultaneously. Second, the latencies have been 50ms away from enterprise / corporate grade connections which is superb. I found VoIP (soft phone) working perfectly well while I browse simultaneously.

Check out this screen shot of the speeds i usually get these days. I also hear that they are adding servers, coverage and tower muscle to accommodate its demand.

For those still contemplating, its a loud Yes to go for it.

Tech specs, yes it is part of CDMA2000 series under 3gpp2 and should technically be 3G as described in its respective website. However the existing bands that are unused are allocated to this service that are not used or underutilized making it not necessary operate in a 3G spectrum. Or why do I care?

For those dreaming about 3G, though it may be a reality in an year, its basic infrastructure requirements are relatively high. You need a phone that supports this technology, have a bluetooth or cable to use it, buy a plan (am sure will be expensive in the first year plus, and won't be as affordable to this one (expecting it to be around 1500+) and then basically using it to fulfill wireless internet needs. You are already making a headway by having this now. And this is 3G compatible so it does not matter. And 3G on GSM/CDMA is good 2 years from being affordable. We paid same amount for 1G CDMA data cards / plug-2-surf kind of stuff. This is fantastic for the same price. Who cares about 3G being launched or not?

Enjoy!!

^ ^ can you tell me from where you picked it up and the total amount you ended up paying for it?

also your locality would help as well

BIKeINSTEIN said:
I heard- on photon+, one has to pay Rs.2/- per MB after 10GB of downloads- for Mumbai circle. :S
True? :S

yes that is correct. they had come to my office last week & i was told the same thing.

can someone tell me how good is the speeds in mumbai.. preferably near mulund/thane area...

also, does it works with windows 7 smoothly.. plug to surf didnt work with it...

kinda urgent.. as need to place order today... also its free antional roaming rite???

regards
neo

The drivers for Vista should work for Windows 7

As long as your device is recognized by Win 7 as a modem, you can set a DUN profile for connecting

what is a DUN profile? please some gyan...

Also my tata plug to surf modem was recognized by Windows 7 but the software did not help me log in it... so have anyone sued photon+ on Windows 7 yet... just want to be sure before shell out money..

regards
neo

DUN= Dial Up networking

I have the photon modem working happily on both OS X and Ubuntu (Both unsupported OSs)

There is really no reason why it wouldn't or shouldn't work in win 7,

Ubuntu is supported. You can get the drivers from ZTE site.

unofficially supported, as claimed by the Tata Indicom folks

They'll refuse to provide any support the moment you have any problems

In any case, the driver you pointed to is the PL-2303 serial-USB driver which works fine for 1X devices. However, the inherently slow throughput of a Serial port (virtual in this case) acts as a bottleneck for your EVDO connection and provides speeds much lower than the supported speed on EVDO (I got close to 1/3 rd the speed I get with airprime..more details below: )

For making the Photon modem work optimally in Linux, you need to use the airprime driver that creates a direct socket connection with the USB devices and provides the optimal connection

Having siad that, the default airprime driver does not support the Hardware ID on the ZTE AC8710 modem and you need to edit the driver source file (airprime.c) and manually compile build the driver after adding the Hardware ID for the ZTE device

been with photon for a month now, nd man... im impressed!:hap2:

First they said Rs.1500/- Unlimited plan with no caps whatsoever was not available(n my place(chennai)), and, then aftr 2 days I get a call frm their rep, that its available. So, I jumped to it and am getting speeds of ~300kBps n private trackers and 150 to 200 kBps with public trackers. Speeds do vary frm time to time, bt, for 1500/- per month and no caps... u can DL and seed far better that a 284kBps or 512kBps connections...

464683377.png

one more thing.. for all the photon+ users... i know we will have internal IP but what about the external ip. is it always same or keeps changing ... Dynamic?

it is important for me to know...

that connection wala never arrived.. damn them.. anyone knows any agencies for mumbai to get poton+ the person said for 4k i can get the modem + 2 month unlimited FUP plan free... is it true..?

regards
neo

superczar said:
unofficially supported, as claimed by the Tata Indicom folks
They'll refuse to provide any support the moment you have any problems

In any case, the driver you pointed to is the PL-2303 serial-USB driver which works fine for 1X devices. However, the inherently slow throughput of a Serial port (virtual in this case) acts as a bottleneck for your EVDO connection and provides speeds much lower than the supported speed on EVDO (I got close to 1/3 rd the speed I get with airprime..more details below: )

For making the Photon modem work optimally in Linux, you need to use the airprime driver that creates a direct socket connection with the USB devices and provides the optimal connection

Having siad that, the default airprime driver does not support the Hardware ID on the ZTE AC8710 modem and you need to edit the driver source file (airprime.c) and manually compile build the driver after adding the Hardware ID for the ZTE device

Oh ok. Thanks for the info!! :) :)

Can some one tell hows the stability and customer care in Bangalore .

They have plan 1100 , with 10 GB data limit . Thinking of this plan .

I am more concerned about stability and their customer care in case of downtime and billing .

And do we have to pay 3500 Rs out right for the modem ?

neomustdie said:
one more thing.. for all the photon+ users... i know we will have internal IP but what about the external ip. is it always same or keeps changing ... Dynamic?

that connection wala never arrived.. damn them.. anyone knows any agencies for mumbai to get poton+ the person said for 4k i can get the modem + 2 month unlimited FUP plan free... is it true..?

regards
neo

I went to themobileshop outlet here in borivali yesterday to checkout the availability of HTC diamond 2 and they had photon+ on sale. So it must be available at all mobileshop outlets.

The external IP is suppose to be dynamic.

i know we will have internal IP but what about the external ip. is it always same or keeps changing ... Dynamic?

It is a public IP and stays the same till you disconnect and reconnect...It isn't any different from the way it is on say your airtel ADSL connection

aruka said:
been with photon for a month now, nd man... im impressed!:hap2:
First they said Rs.1500/- Unlimited plan with no caps whatsoever was not available(n my place(chennai)), and, then aftr 2 days I get a call frm their rep, that its available. So, I jumped to it and am getting speeds of ~300kBps n private trackers and 150 to 200 kBps with public trackers. Speeds do vary frm time to time, bt, for 1500/- per month and no caps... u can DL and seed far better that a 284kBps or 512kBps connections...
464683377.png

unlimited plan is back ?

Back